Vampire Bestiary

Rhuarc

Explorer
I think (or hope rather) the key is just sticking to the initial design brief and not adding to it. In other words do all the research at the start rather than keep researching (vampires in this case) even when you are halfway through completing the project.

Sounds like a good idea as well and best of luck with the next book! :)

Hey there amigo! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
Is the Vampire Intelligence going to be in Temple of Death or Castle Dracula?

The Vampire Intelligence will be in Castle Dracula.

Also, is Dracula himself really going to be low Paragon tier?

Yes but there is very good reasoning for this...that's how powerful he should be. ;)

But seriously, I have the entire Vampire hierarchy mapped out flawlessly and it actually makes no sense for Dracula to be anything other than how I have designed him.

I have seen the 4E Strahd version in Open Grave and I think its far too divorced from the vampire entry. If a DM wanted to design Castle Dracula and had the Open Grave version of Strahd, then every other vampire related monster in all the sourcebooks would be irrelevant, because the level disparity would be too big.

In fact the weird thing is that there are no Vampires in 4E (I think they got added eventually...Shadowfell boxed set maybe IIRC), the monster manual has Vampire Lord and Vampire Spawn...but no 'Vampires'.

I'll basically have everything (virtually every 'trope' ever designed) you need for the classic Dracula/Vampire adventure in Castle Dracula. ;)

Hey Rhuarc mate! :)

Rhuarc said:
Then lets get this darn thing finished already! ;)

Temple of Death up next...though in true (stupid) Krust fashion I should have released Castle Dracula second because the adventure in that is geared towards Levels 8-9 in particular, whereas Temple of Death (the adventure bit) is primarily designed for Levels 11-12. :eek:

When I put all three parts together for the 'big' Vampire Bestiary book I'll have them in the proper order though: Mountain - Castle - Temple.

I'm just that much further along with 'Temple' that it makes sense releasing it quicker.

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey, I'm all for it if this means it will come out more quickly!

By the way, you should edit your sig with the website update. I would have missed the Asmodeus article if I hadn't seen your new thread in the other forum...

Hiya mate! :)

So where does Temple of Death stand now? I'm eager to see the Harryhausen-esque stuff...

I'll do a full audit of the progress next week (yes next week - 2 days of work and 5 days of holiday coming up), then start updating every day or two. I think I have Kali (whom I have sort of been dragging my heels over), a few monsters and the adventure bit to finish and its done.

There is one more monster illustration for Peter to do but I haven't sent him the details yet because I am not sure which to do (he completed the previous 3 illustrations last week for the Chedipe, Masani and Twin Wight...all looking amazing)

Been feeling a bit sick this past week AND still went into work so its been a double drain on my system.

I think I have Kali (whom I have sort of been dragging my heels over), a few monsters and the adventure bit to finish and its done.

Is this the Aspect of Kali (Bhowanee maybe?) you mentioned earlier, or the Idol of Kali we saw a preview of on the website - surely the goddess herself is beyond the 'heroic & low paragon' range of the book?

Been feeling a bit sick this past week AND still went into work so its been a double drain on my system.

Hope you feel better...

Hiya mate! :)

Is this the Aspect of Kali (Bhowanee maybe?) you mentioned earlier, or the Idol of Kali we saw a preview of on the website - surely the goddess herself is beyond the 'heroic & low paragon' range of the book?

Yes and no.

It is Bhowanee, but I also toyed with the idea of adding an epic appendix to book 2 (Temple of Death) that had about 8-12 epic monsters (Kali, her lieutenants, some new relevant monsters, archpriests etc.).

What I might do is just make that epic 'appendix' available as a small (24-32 page) pdf in its own right though, to avoid confusion.

Hope you feel better...

Thanks for the support. I wasn't that bad, just really drained of energy and I think that drain was making me more susceptible to catching a cold which I felt starting to take root...but I took every possible precaution and was loading myself with the appropriate vitamins.

Had a great 5 day holiday. Caught up on my (lack of) sleep today, should be refreshed and 'back on it' tomorrow. ;)

Remove ads