Vampire Bestiary

Hey guys! :)

Firstly let me say I have been absolutely shattered these past 4 days. Don't remember ever sleeping as much as I have this past week. Had to work the past 4 nights and I think I slept 11+ hours at least 3 of the past 4 days (In between 10 1/2 hour shifts and 1 1/2 hours travel, so do the math). I just haven't got on the computer (almost at all) to get the updates done. I'll try to get those sorted over the next day or so. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sykyrys said:
Ok, here's a new puzzle.

I have a character that combines the lich, mummified creature, and vampire templates (it's complicated, so please don't ask how).

He has none of the weaknesses of the vampire, but, he might still need to drink blood to maintain his living appearance.

So he's a Dhampir, not a Vampire. Just like the Blade character from the movies of the same name.

Essentially...if he doesn't drink blood, his flesh might decay in the manner of a normal corpse. While his bones would remain intact.

Now, given that he is impervious to bacteria, chemicals, erosion, and temperature fluctuations and has a density exceeding that of adamantine...

Would he decay?

Almost certainly.

How long would it take him to decay?

My opinion is that he would decay at the same rate as a deceased corpse. Offhand I am not sure what that rate might be. You could try googling it I suppose.

What would the effects of decay be?

Arguable. Classically vampires get more powerful with age, though that could be a combination of experience and feeding. However, its probably more to do with the accumulation of negative (or necrotic) energy from killing.

PS...What happens if a normal vampire doesn't feed? Does it decay?

Not to any massive degree. If we examine the underworld movies, the Vampire Patriarch of the first movie was a withered thing indeed. yet after the transfusion he was back to full 'health'.

Do vampires even decay at all, or do they just get more and more pale as their corrupted form feeds on blood?

I don't think they would decay under normal circumstances. They might well grow more pale and become weakened (1/2 strength).

Or is this thirst for blood purely psychological, as I suspect?

I don't think blood sustains them (necrotic energy does that), but I do think blood gives them their vitality. I see the difference between a healthy human and a starving, malnourished human being the same as a well fed vampire and one that has not eaten for a while.

I also think that a vampire that is starved too long might degenerate into a near mindless ghoul.

I recently saw the Solomon Kane movie (great show by the way) and their are some vampire degenerates in that movie (I won't say where because that would be a spolier). Oddly enough they made me think of the Feral Nosferatu in the Vampire Bestiary.

Pssthpok

First Post
I've always had the idea in the back of my mind that a regular ol' zombie is the bottom-rung undead, but once it eats enough brains or innards or whatever, it becomes a ghoul - malicious, cannibalistic, semi-intelligent undead. A ghoul that survives long enough and kills often enough eventually "wakes up" to being a vampire. They realize it's only the blood they really need, they "vitalize" as they focus the energy of their victim's blood into their being; i.e. they look more "alive". They also start to branch out power-wise, tapping the deep necromantic energies that have powered them since their living deaths, gaining invisibility, spider-climbs, fewer but more amplified weaknesses, etc.

Howdy Pssthpok mate! :)

Pssthpok said:
I've always had the idea in the back of my mind that a regular ol' zombie is the bottom-rung undead, but once it eats enough brains or innards or whatever, it becomes a ghoul - malicious, cannibalistic, semi-intelligent undead. A ghoul that survives long enough and kills often enough eventually "wakes up" to being a vampire. They realize it's only the blood they really need, they "vitalize" as they focus the energy of their victim's blood into their being; i.e. they look more "alive". They also start to branch out power-wise, tapping the deep necromantic energies that have powered them since their living deaths, gaining invisibility, spider-climbs, fewer but more amplified weaknesses, etc.

You could argue that Hollywood sees it exactly like you do. With slow zombies being replaced by faster ghouls.

A few weeks ago I caught the Day of the Dead movie remake on tv, and after the pretty decent Dawn remake a few years earlier I was looking forward to it. But it was clear from about 15 minutes in the movie was an atrocity. Basically did everything wrong from start to finish.

Anyway I digress. I think I have mentioned here before how I generally treat undead under the four umbrellas of blood, bone, flesh and spirit.

The zombie, for me, has more in common with the classic Mummy. Whereas the 'fast zombies' so common in today's movies more akin to a ghoul (and thus linked with the vampire).

Real Sorceror

First Post
Just curious UK, did you stat up any of the cool Philippines undead like the Manananggal (god thats a mouthful) and Langsuir? I always thought were pretty neat. And they really come out of left-field when used on PCs who are used to western vamps.

Howdy Real Sorceror! :)

Real Sorceror said:
Just curious UK, did you stat up any of the cool Philippines undead like the Manananggal (god thats a mouthful) and Langsuir? I always thought were pretty neat. And they really come out of left-field when used on PCs who are used to western vamps.

Might have. :p

Some of the enemies I have developed I thought seemed best placed within certain families of vampires, even if thats classically not where you would expect them. For instance the Langsuir has a relationship with Vampire Intelligences thats not based on the Langsuir mythology but really seemed a good fit to me.

I think 4E as a whole works best when you have these large families (or themes) of monsters to draw upon (even if they are individually very different). Its good for designers because you can create powers that might seem just okay at first but really compliment the attacks (or defenses) of another monster. I think it also makes life easier for DMs because they can see what sort of groups hang out together. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun for players too, forcing them to think a bit more.

beej

Explorer
Hello again U_K!

Upper_Krust said:
I do have the Manananggal in the book. So I won't check yours out until after the VB launches just incase I like your ideas better than mine.

Cool. I think I will do the same (besides, chances are I will use part of what I earn through my asuang supplement to get VB. XD XD). I do believe we'll have a certain amount of diversity, even from a flavor perspective. :)

Real Sorceror said:
Just curious UK, did you stat up any of the cool Philippines undead like the Manananggal (god thats a mouthful) and Langsuir?

Well hello, Real Sorceror!

It seems that both U_K and I will have our own versions of the manananggal, which can be real interesting. From what I can tell, U_K's approach plays up more of her vampiric aspects. On the other hand, my treatment will give her traits that links her to the asuang families of Philippine myth. I encourage you to see both versions (when they do come out :uhoh:).

I cannot speak for U_K when it comes to the Langsuir, though.

Hey guys! :)

Apologies again for no Vampire Bestiary update last week. Real world stuff yesterday kept me from the computer for this weeks update, but I nearly got the art done today - its a bigger and more complicated piece than the previous two updates. I only have the hind legs of the vampire and its tail to do, but thats going to have to wait until tomorrow - but definite update to the website Monday and that should get us back on track. ;)

Rhuarc

Explorer
Great artwork UK, much, much better than the other two! And very fitting for the epic tier :)

Can't wait for the stats and see the first preview of the next tier!

Hey guys, feeling terrible here, definately coming down with a cold. :(

But on the bright side I go the latest update onto the website.

Rhuarc said:
Great artwork UK, much, much better than the other two! And very fitting for the epic tier :)

Thanks. Not sure I think its as good as the other two illustrations although it is definately 'busier'. I'm still not confident enough to use strong blacks which would be a good thing for this monster.

Can't wait for the stats and see the first preview of the next tier!

Stats for the Cherufe are now up.

Immortality

The next monster will be the toughest official (if I can call my monsters that) monster so far published for 4E.

...of course its still nowhere near the toughest monster in the book. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases