Favorite conversion you did? Worst conversion you did?

kitsune9

Adventurer
Did you ever convert a module for a new edition or different game that turned out to just be AWESOME? Did you ever do that for another module and your players only utter your name when speaking vile curses upon you?

I converted Return to the Tomb of Horrors for a 3.0 game. I had a really really good time converting namely because of the advancement rules in 3.0 and choosing how to make the encounters nasty there. It was a lot of fun and the campaign ended on a high note.

I started to work on converting Pool of Radiance and the module just didn't mesh with the players.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been lucky- so far, none of my conversions has gotten me booted in the glutes. The main reason is that I'm really, really careful about what I convert: if I don't get truly stoked by the concept, I don't even start writing.

I ran a RIFTS campaign in HERO...that worked pretty well, and was nearly seamless. First, I made people design their PC concepts within the strictures of the way the R.C.Cs and O.C.C.s were described in the RIFTS books. Then we as a group used HERO to actually design the PCs mechanics. Those decisions became the defaults for NPC versions of the characters. Then, they were allowed to "customize" their PCs with 25% of their points...with only enough guidance from me to ensure that the starting PCs remained within the conceptual strictures of the original RIFTS stuff. IOW, no PC could start off as a Ley-Line Walker Vampire Glitterboy...but he might get there over time as the campaign advanced and the PC improved.

I have a supers campaign that is based in the world of Space: 1889 that I ran in Austin in the early 1990's that I'm currently running in M&M. The original was the best campaign I ever ran. The new version is going a little more slowly, but I expected that. Several of the players are absolutely not fans of anything but FRPGs...and even so, I'm winning them over.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...27-starting-new-m-m-campaign.html#post4793004

diaglo

Adventurer
i converted all the modules i ever bought. until recently. i finally purchased 1 for the game i run.
i referee OD&D(1974)

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
Yea I have done that a few times… right now I am converting Scourge of the Slavelords and Slavers to 4th ed. D&D and it is coming along quite nicely. I have converted lots of old models to lots of different game systems over the years… my most recent one is parts of the Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path “Savage Tide” over to Savage Worlds and it is good really well. Ran a Star Wars game using M&M and converted over some old WEG games to the system and we had a lot of fun with that. Ran a really weird west game based somewhat on Spellslinger using True20 and I converted two or there Dungeon adventures over to that and again it went really well for all. Hmm, also have converted a lot over to GURPS and HERO back in the day :) I like a lot of different systems I guess

Dedekind

Explorer
I converted Against the Giants (2e 25th anniversary edition module) to 3E. Many things worked just fine until I got to the higher level stuff.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Pretty much any adventure I run is a conversion from another edition. There are just so many good adventures from older editions, whether from modules or from my Dungeon magazine collection, that I can't ignore them simply because they need some conversion. A good adventure with a good hook and plot are universal as far as system goes. For example I'm currently running a campaign based around the 2E adventure "The Apocalypse Stone" with lots of old Dungeon adventures to fill in the gaps, converted to my houseruled 3.5E system. So far it's going great.

Qualidar

First Post
I really enjoyed my 3.5 conversion of AD&D's Pharaoh and Oasis of the White Palm.

I was much less pleased with the way Lost Tomb of Martek played out. There's a reason my friend threw it into the river when he tried to run it back in the 80s. :-S

Skallgrim

First Post
I ran the original Ravenloft adventure (minus the campy humor in the crypts) as a GURPS adventure. Awesome, and brutal. Totally, totally worked.

I don't know if my favorite moment was when the "fighter" was roaming around the town square at night, and heard a faint sussurus of clicking sounds, only to realize that a pack of wolves was padding up behind him (and the sound was their toenails clattering on the cobblestones),

or if it was when Strahd seized a PC's crossbow (which had a winding system) and cocked it by arm strength (to the PC's great dismay).

or if it was when Strahd backhanded the "cleric" across the room.

Man, that was awesome.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I ran the original Ravenloft adventure (minus the campy humor in the crypts) as a GURPS adventure. Awesome, and brutal. Totally, totally worked.

I don't know if my favorite moment was when the "fighter" was roaming around the town square at night, and heard a faint sussurus of clicking sounds, only to realize that a pack of wolves was padding up behind him (and the sound was their toenails clattering on the cobblestones),

or if it was when Strahd seized a PC's crossbow (which had a winding system) and cocked it by arm strength (to the PC's great dismay).

or if it was when Strahd backhanded the "cleric" across the room.

Man, that was awesome.

I played Ravenloft as a 3.0x and got backhanded by Strahd too.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Probably the best was when I converted Dark Sun to 3.0, I had people across the country sending me e-mails about it (as well as my Gamma World to 3.0) and some friends of mine in another state used it before they realized who wrote it. The worst was my original Empire of the Petal Throne conversion where I tried using variants of the D&D character classes with Tsolyanu type names. It worked but wasn't well received by the fans because it was too D&D (even though the original game was very D&D) so I revamped it using generic character classes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases