Proposal: Fix the proposal system

Otakkun

Explorer
I'll agree with CaBaNa on the character sheet being a humongous PITA. Proposals just filter the "new toy" syndrome that everyone gets when new material is released but its not detrimental to the world. Having to battle with that template however is a big entry barrier for new players. I know I almost threw the towel.

garyh

First Post
I'll agree with CaBaNa on the character sheet being a humongous PITA. Proposals just filter the "new toy" syndrome that everyone gets when new material is released but its not detrimental to the world. Having to battle with that template however is a big entry barrier for new players. I know I almost threw the towel.

The advantage you new folks have is that you can cut and paste from existing PC's. I created Growl and only had to actually type up with a single power myself. :) And that's with a druid.

But if we wanna talk PC template, it's probably best to start a new thread.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm coming around to JNC's original proposal. I've had cause a couple of times in the last week to dig through the previous pages of threads in this forum, and there really are a ridiculous number of proposals. Something's gotta be done, and short of just freezing the available content, I don't see what can be done except auto-approve after a grace period, unless there is a proposal underway to ban or amend something specific.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Last night I accidentally removed all the "Discussion here" links in the charter and I had to go through and recreate them. While I was doing that I found a proposal that had died without voting that even I forgot about - Dragon 368.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Well, it looks like we're coming to a consensus on auto-approving. I also think it would be good to drop the timing from 3 months - some people suggested 1 month, but I think I'll be a bit conservative and say 2 months instead. (We can always drop it further later if this works out.)

So, here's the concrete proposal:

New material published by Wizards of the Coast is automatically adopted as printed unless someone makes a proposal to exclude or amend it, or it is marked as "playtest", "preview", or as a "debut" from an upcoming print product. The time of adoption is:
- for printed books, 2 months after publication
- for Dragon and Dungeon articles, 2 months after the full issue download is made available
- for errata, as soon as it is published

New material from third-party sources can be proposed and voted on as usual.

The above takes effect on all material published after the date the proposal passes. Material published before the proposal passes is adopted 2 months after the proposal passes, unless it has already been proposed and people raised a significant objection.

So that means if this passes the following would be adopted in 2 months:

• Divine Power, except for the Hero of Faith feat
  • Eberron Player's Guide
  • Eberron Campaign Guide
  • Player's Handbook Heroes, Series 2 miniatures (powers)
  • Monster Manual 2 (new player races)
  • Open Grave (items and rituals)
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
  • Dragon 366 articles: Mithrendain (new powers, paragon paths, and items), Ritually Speaking, Rose Keep (items), Scales of War Backgrounds
  • Dragon 368, except for the feats Staff Fighting, Called Shot, Binding Style, Exotic Fighting Style, Hunting Spider Style, Starlight Duelist; and the items Whip and Net, and associated feats
  • Dragon 369, except for the Minotaur article, Ghoststride Boots, and Giantkind Gloves
  • Dragon 370
  • Dragon 371
  • Dragon 375
  • Dragon 376
  • Dragon 377
  • Dragon 378 (if it's out by the time this passes)
  • Several magic items and rituals which appeared in adventures (I know there are some in Dungeon Delve and Dungeon Magazine, dunno about the rest)

And the following would not be adopted (and therefore would need to be listed as banned in the charter), since they were already rejected or at least in doubt:

• everything mentioned as being excluded in the current charter (even the stuff from Arcane Power which is just "under discussion")
  • Hero of Faith feat from Divine Power
  • Dragon 364, Wolves of Maldeen and Ashen Covenant articles
  • Dragon 365, Ecology of the Dragonborn and Ashardalon's Hoard articles
  • Dragon 367, Epic Faerun article
  • Dragon 368, Gladiators article: the feats Staff Fighting, Called Shot, Binding Style, Exotic Fighting Style, Hunting Spider Style, Starlight Duelist; and the items Whip and Net, and associated feats (under discussion here)
  • Dragon 369, Minotaur article, Ghoststride Boots, and Giantkind Gloves (under discussion here)
  • Dragon 372, Masters of the Planes article
  • Dragon 373, the Orb of Entropy item
  • Dragon 374, the White Lotus Academy article (under discussion here)

Some of the banned stuff we just didn't want to deal with at the time, and either it was really high level (items, Epic Destinies) or we figured people who wanted it would make a proposal.

If this passes, someone may want to make proposals to discuss the Dragonmarks from Eberron, the Scales of War Backgrounds from Dragon 366, the Regions of the Realms article from Dragon 370, the Adventurers of the Realms and Sarifal articles from Dragon 376, and the Eberron Familiars article from Dragon 377. After this it will slow down since there won't be a big chunk of things coming in at once.

The point of this list isn't to make everyone scrutinize all these articles, it's just to be clear on what's already been discussed and what its status will be.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
The FRCG has both rituals and items.

I was unaware that Open Grave had any player-appropriate items. I know there are some artifacts, but those sort of fall in the category of DM stuff.

garyh

First Post
New material published by Wizards of the Coast is automatically adopted as printed unless someone makes a proposal to exclude or amend it, or it is marked as "playtest", "preview", or as a "debut" from an upcoming print product. The time of adoption is:
- for printed books, 1 month after publication
- for Dragon and Dungeon articles, 1 month after the full issue download is made available
- for errata, as soon as it is published

New material from third-party sources can be proposed and voted on as usual.

The above takes effect on all material published after the date the proposal passes. Material published before the proposal passes is adopted 1 month after the proposal passes, unless it has already been proposed and people raised a significant objection.

I'm going to vote YES for the proposal as I've modified it above - back to the 1 month I suggested. I just don't see what that additional month is going to gain. If the CharOp boards are going to break something, it won't take 32-60 days.

Remove ads