Running a game in the style of "The Black Company"

Halivar

First Post
I have an idea for my next game, but I don't know if it's feasible. Looking for suggestions; how to run it, how to balance it, or how to fix it if there are glaring holes.

I plan to run it in a sandbox, and I'm looking for the sort of party dynamics found in Glen Cook's The Black Company. The PC's would be the leaders of a mercenary company in the sandbox world, and chooses jobs, adventures, raids, "operations", or even campaigns based on their personal whim, and the company of NPC's follows their lead.

My current idea is to have players use the OSRIC Charisma table and pick up henchmen Like thus. In the followers table, though, level 1 henchmen are treated as minions. Followers listed as being "level 2" henchmen have 2 hp per level, "level 3" have 3 hp per level, and so on. The actual level of these henchmen depends on their experience, which they accrue in a manner yet to be determined.

Henchmen are a resource to be spent. But if the party has a habit of sending level 1 minions in first as monster fodder, fewer level 1 minions will be signing up. Henchmen are also in different roles. Each role has a different statblock. Largely, they will follow the model set forth in a military organization. A cook, for instance, will be needed to provide food for the company. Starving henchmen will desert the band. A quartermaster will be needed to PAY the henchmen (unless someone in the party wants to handle that kind of minutae, which is possible). OR the henchmen can be combat henchmen, who can travel into danger with the party, gain levels, and increase in usefulness (and difficulty to replace). Henchmen come in the same basic roles all non-leader monsters come in (soldiers, brutes, and lurkers), plus sages, medics, hostlers, and other non-combat roles necessary to keep a medival war band up to fighting shape.

Players have to recruit all henchmen as level 1 minions. Since the party needs these guys to be tough and up to their speed, they will need to occasionally hit up "lower level" areas of the sandbox world to build team skills and whatnot.

How would you suggest I balance this? Tougher fights? More monsters? If so, how do I speed up combat? Is it just a flat-out bad idea? What about payouts? In the sandbox world, how much should the company recieve from a patron for a level 1 "job" that would be the equiavlent of giving the core party a parcel package?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I have an idea for my next game, but I don't know if it's feasible. Looking for suggestions; how to run it, how to balance it, or how to fix it if there are glaring holes.

I plan to run it in a sandbox, and I'm looking for the sort of party dynamics found in Glen Cook's The Black Company. The PC's would be the leaders of a mercenary company in the sandbox world, and chooses jobs, adventures, raids, "operations", or even campaigns based on their personal whim, and the company of NPC's follows their lead.

My current idea is to have players use the OSRIC Charisma table and pick up henchmen Like thus. In the followers table, though, level 1 henchmen are treated as minions. Followers listed as being "level 2" henchmen have 2 hp per level, "level 3" have 3 hp per level, and so on. The actual level of these henchmen depends on their experience, which they accrue in a manner yet to be determined.

Henchmen are a resource to be spent. But if the party has a habit of sending level 1 minions in first as monster fodder, fewer level 1 minions will be signing up. Henchmen are also in different roles. Each role has a different statblock. Largely, they will follow the model set forth in a military organization. A cook, for instance, will be needed to provide food for the company. Starving henchmen will desert the band. A quartermaster will be needed to PAY the henchmen (unless someone in the party wants to handle that kind of minutae, which is possible). OR the henchmen can be combat henchmen, who can travel into danger with the party, gain levels, and increase in usefulness (and difficulty to replace). Henchmen come in the same basic roles all non-leader monsters come in (soldiers, brutes, and lurkers), plus sages, medics, hostlers, and other non-combat roles necessary to keep a medival war band up to fighting shape.

Players have to recruit all henchmen as level 1 minions. Since the party needs these guys to be tough and up to their speed, they will need to occasionally hit up "lower level" areas of the sandbox world to build team skills and whatnot.

How would you suggest I balance this? Tougher fights? More monsters? If so, how do I speed up combat? Is it just a flat-out bad idea? What about payouts? In the sandbox world, how much should the company recieve from a patron for a level 1 "job" that would be the equiavlent of giving the core party a parcel package?

Do you have the Black Company setting from Green Ronin? You could start there to see what their take is on merc companies and merc campaigns.

Otherwise, do a playtest and see how your system works.

Obryn

Hero
Yep, I'd suggest picking up the Black Company campaign setting. It's a heavily tweaked d20 game, with a lot of changes to let things that happened in the books happen within the game.

Even if you want to run it as a 4e game, the setting, tone, and campaign info should be a huge help. :)

-O

Nialas

First Post
I have the Black Company setting book ...

Halivar, and I'm doing a purge of books and other items to get my house in order. The Black Company setting book was earmarked for donation (don't play 3.0/3.5 any more) but if you'd like me to send it to you, just give me an address. I'll pay for shipping.

Before anyone asks, I haven't identified any other RPG books for the purge :p.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Havilar it sounds to me that you are really running a wargame campaing rather than an rpg. I have played wargame campaings that worked that way and they can be great fun. Usually campaign that worked like that used minatures for battle, though I would imagine that Battlelore would work quite well, of course in those campaings each player were on different sides and ran countries.

If you want to run a compaign of being the command staff of a mercenary company then, I am not sure what sandbox exploration has to do with it. Mercenary companies do not stirr out of barracks with out pay (at least the commanders have to be paid, whatever about the troops :))
In that case the game is one of diplomacy and court intrigue where the player try and secure jobs for the unit and get their money when they do th job and the war side is handled as a series of skill challanges where success or failure leads to encounters where the pc have to intervene to avert disaster or if disaster falls, they have to save their skins. It is only in these encounters that the minions need stats.
Of course if they are in any way successful then there may be more combat encounters because people will be sending assasins and similar things after them.
In any case I would think that you would need different rules for leveling. Most of the xp should be coming from quests (== contracts fulfilled) and skill challanges.

Remove ads