Tharizdun? (now also a discussion of Castle Greyhawk)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Lesser God status for Tharizdun in 3E is how powerful is even imprisoned! If he was released, Divine Rank 21+ is how I'd view him. Ouch.

There has been some reconceptualising of Tharizdun post-Gygax, and he has been merged with the Elder Elemental God. Personally, I view Tharizdun as the font of all evil, with all evil forces gaining their powers from him... and he possibly manipulating them unconsciously...

But that's non-canon. :)

Basically, find the view that fits you and alter the published material to fit your pet theory.

He's so evil that he's impossible to conceptualise fully, after all...

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Don't matter how they cut it, Merric. Thrizdun ain't elemental, and the Elder Elemental God ain't anywhere as Evil as Bit T. It's like mixing Law and Chaos, in a way...

Cheers,
Gary

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Oh, I don't know, Gary... if Tharizdun is really, really evil, and subsumes all lesser forms of evil, why not Elemental Evil as well? ;)

No doubt however - the original conception of Tharizdun is extremely different than that of the Elder Elemental God.

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
Oh, I don't know, Gary... if Tharizdun is really, really evil, and subsumes all lesser forms of evil, why not Elemental Evil as well? ;)

No doubt however - the original conception of Tharizdun is extremely different than that of the Elder Elemental God.

Cheers!

Well, Old Top, seeing as how Tharizdun can *consume* other evil beings but can't really become them, I'd say that his absorbing the role of the Elder Elemental god is about as likely as the demon lords of the Abyss bowing to him.

I reiterate, no way!

;)
Gary

grodog

Hero
LOL!

So Gary, what's the likelihood that you and Rob will publish scans/copies of the original materials formerly-known-as Castle Greyhawk, either the original or the expanded version (as CDs, .pdfs, etc.)? (And yes, I'm talking about the maps with the 1 page sheet of notes per level)?

qstor

Adventurer
As an aside I believe its easy to use the EEG in a 3e campaign. The tentacle rods for the clerics were outlined in a Dragon article and the domains for clerics could come from:

Ghaunadaur (CE): That Which Lurks, the Elder Eye. Symbol: Purplish eye on purple, violet, and black circles. Worshipers: Aboleths, drow, fighters, oozes, outcasts, ropers. Cleric Alignment: CE, CN, NE. Domains: Cavern, Chaos, Drow, Evil, Hatred, Slime. Favored Weapon: An amorphous tentacle (warhammer).

Eric Boyd mentioned a slight link in Demihuman Dieties. Of course the EEG from EGG came first :)

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

Skullfyre

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Heh, and maybe you are different, but my typical notes for a full dungeon level with 25 areas noted for encounter or some sepcial thing (trick, trap, whatever) take up one side of one page of fine-lined paper, one line per encounter.

Much of all was simply remembered, made up on the spot, or noted on the various maps with cryptic symbols or shorthand. rob and I managed it just fine. Almost any other DM would be quite at a loss.

Furthermore, there were two versions of the castle and dungeons. My original one had upper ruins, 13 levels down, and several side levels. When Rob joined me as co-DM, we not only merged his levels into the original, but the castle works were expanded, a whole new, large first level was done, and yet more new levels were added. That more than doubles the size of the material we used.

To recreate a work that is drawn from both versions, is managable in size (version two is not!), and usable by all DMs. we need to draw from the best of the lot, restructure from that, and then go over everything to make sure we include all the special features. Hooking all that up, detailing encounters, is simply a massive undertaking.

Cheers,
Gary

*BOWS* Oh great master of DnD!!

Please take your time...
I can wait... I can go through white plume again or into barrier peaks or there is that keep on the borderlands.......

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
LOL!

So Gary, what's the likelihood that you and Rob will publish scans/copies of the original materials formerly-known-as Castle Greyhawk, either the original or the expanded version (as CDs, .pdfs, etc.)? (And yes, I'm talking about the maps with the 1 page sheet of notes per level)?

Heh, and about the same as the snowball in hell, I should think. One day my heirs and assigns will likely want to auction that material so as to not starve to death :eek:

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Skullfyre said:

Ah quit! your psot ain't that good.

Oh, sorry, I seemed to have not read far enough :D

Seriously, we are still in touch with Kenzer about a HM version--see their boards. Of course I want to do the work as OAD&D, its proper system, but that ain't too likely. No foirm decision about format has been made, but that can change soon, or not.

Publishers are not much enthused about doing the project in several parts, but it's that or nothing for certain.

cheers,
Gary

Remove ads