So, what is "4th Edition's Tomb of Horrors"?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Clipped from WotC news:

July sees the Demonomicon as well as the next super-adventure following Against the Giants: 4th Edition's Tomb of Horrors!

Does that mean they are redoing Tomb of Horrors, or doing something akin to Tomb of Horrors?

I'm guessing ... erm ... a remake of Return to Tomb of Horrors, mega-adventure style.

/M

fireinthedust

Explorer
Clipped from WotC news:

Does that mean they are redoing Tomb of Horrors, or doing something akin to Tomb of Horrors?

I'm guessing ... erm ... a remake of Return to Tomb of Horrors, mega-adventure style.

/M

Um, yeah! Woot! I hope so. I enjoy playing in dungeons with traps and puzzles. I think the mega adventure should have all of those. I don't know a DM who'd want to run RttToH in 2e, as we never made it that far. However, if I can find one for my regular game...

I think it'll be a 4e overhaul of the 2e module. However, maybe they'll move the Tomb up a bunch. It's mentioned in Open Grave, after all, as is Acererak.

Um, yeah! Woot! I hope so. I enjoy playing in dungeons with traps and puzzles. I think the mega adventure should have all of those. I don't know a DM who'd want to run RttToH in 2e, as we never made it that far. However, if I can find one for my regular game...

I think it'll be a 4e overhaul of the 2e module. However, maybe they'll move the Tomb up a bunch. It's mentioned in Open Grave, after all, as is Acererak.
That Acererak is a bit of an "adventure-slut" in 4E... As in, "He really gets around." He's allegedly appearing in this year's Revenge of the Giants, too!

I'm totally pumped for the Tomb of Horrors 4E! I've been asking for it since I first laid my eyes upon skill challenges!

kitsune9

Adventurer
Clipped from WotC news:

/M

I had a really good time converting Return to the Tomb of Horrors to 3.0. I'm pretty sure that I'll look at the 4e Tomb and see if I can convert it Pathfinder. I do like those ubertrap dungeons.

I'd be happy with 4E versions of as many classic D&D modules as they can make.
Agreed. Adventures tie them game to its much better than mechanics ever could. I like that the end of the 3E era brought us some decent new and revisited adventures, and I like even more that 4E is continuing the trend with a Dungeon Magazine adventure path that continues from 3.5E's Red Hand of Doom, and that 4E's first super adventure revisits Against the Giants.

Awesome stuff, guys!

Critical Hits also mentioned on Twitter that Tomb of Horrors is levels 10-22 mega adventure.

12 levels in 1 one book sounds like some serious XP crunching!!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Between Open Grave, a bit of the Manual of the Planes, and a whole bunch in Dungeon and Dragon, it sure seemed like we already have most of a Tomb of Horrors adventure path. I mean, are they just tossing all that stuff in there and then finishing out the rest?

Not a criticism, I want that adventure path! But, it looked like they were just doing it in bits and pieces here and there already.

Herschel

Adventurer
While it didn't have the traps, 2E had the Dark Sun setting for humongous numbers of character deaths. Old Middle Earth Role Playing character trees were handy. It was awe-inspiring.

Rechan

Adventurer
Wait.

From what I understand, Tomb of Horrors was basically 'Pick right or Left. You picked left? You die. You picked right? Okay. Pick right or left. You picked right? You die. You picked Left? Okay, on to the next coin flip..."

Simply put the deathtraps were rather instantaneous. Doesn't seem to be in line with 4e's philosophy, given they nixed the save or dies.

Remove ads