D&D Heroscape

It was announced at GenCon that WotC will be releasing a D&D themed master set for Heroscape. The Heroscape forums are awash in speculation about what this means...

Of course, the D&D forums for the most part don't even recognize this as a D&D announcement.

The set uses old DDM figures on Heroscape terrain and use Heroscape rules. Is this game something that would interest old DDM players? And whatever happened to the plan from a year or so ago of releasing minis tied to specific scenarios?

talwynor

First Post
Hate to admit it, but I love the idea. My son and I have played HS and he loved the bits and the game system was easy tio pick up. He's getting into 4e now, but the HS tie in will be a great gateway game for us while he transitions over.

ferratus

Adventurer
I already use heroscape master sets for a hex map, and it really brings the encounter alive, because it allows for elevation and uneven terrain in outdoor encounters, and setup is extremely quick. It works especially well with 4e, given there are easy rules for difficult terrain.

I would love if WotC made square plastic pieces that clicked together like heroscape hexes do to create dungeon complexes. Dwarven Forge is too expensive and fragile, while dungeon tiles aren't as easy to put together into the shape you want as heroscape's component parts.

I'm actually hoping that's what 3-D dungeon tiles are going to be all about.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Have you seen any of the planetary/campaign tile sets that GW put out for its minis lines? I would LOVE something like that for dnd if adapted to a grid and meant for dungeons. They dont even have to be textured so long as they interlock. Cast in grey, black ink wash, lighter grey drybrush. Done.

From the box, the "dungeon terrain" is nothing more than standard Heroscape hex pieces in a new, gray color. I didn't see anything that looks like walls, which i agree, is a disappointment!

It wouldn't be too tough to make a wall that fits the hexes. The Ruins in the original Heroscape masterset are straight walls with a 90 degree corner. There are also expansions that have had walls in them. There assuredly is a way to make it work.

The problem, however, is with hexes themselves. How hard is it to play D&D using hexes? Would you even want to?

DragoonLance

First Post
The problem, however, is with hexes themselves. How hard is it to play D&D using hexes? Would you even want to?

I've seen several people here that already use hexes in D&D, and there are a few quick conversions floating around, so it isn't too hard, at least for an outdoors setting. For old school dungeon rooms/corridors it would be a bit problematic though.

arscott

First Post
Dungeon rooms and corridors don't really present a problem for hex grids--hexes will support rectangular-shaped rooms in three different orientations. (see image)

Obviously, if you're building your dungeon out of plastic hexes you won't get the same straight walls, but you can definately build the same basic shapes.

Attachments

• hexrooms.GIF
    hexrooms.GIF
    5.7 KB · Views: 206

I don't know anything about Heroscape, but from the pictures, I already know that I want it! This looks like an awesome way to get my 11-year-old cousin into gaming.

Can anyone tell me what the price point on Heroscape products is? How much will this D&D set probably cost?

Remove ads