Encounter Maps

Quickleaf

Legend
Having inherited the position of DM for our gaming group, I'm on the lookout for good encounter maps (preferrably a minimum of 10 x 16 squares). Our former DM has all the "Fantastic Locations" ones from WOTC like City of Peril and Dragondown Grotto, and I've purchased two of Paizo's awesome flip-maps.

Are there other good printed sources for encounter maps out there?

If need be I can print my own, but the quality is never the same.

darjr

I crit!
There are the 'tiles' from paizo. Not so much tiles persee, but cards for things like taverns and such.

paizo.com - Error

They are different than a flipmat or WotC Tiles. The only set I have is the tavern set, and it's double sided, two taverns. The blurb says they can be mixed and matched and moved around within the set to make different taverns, but they really only seem to fit one way.

I do like the idea. They fill a different niche than the WotC tiles or flipmats or battlemat.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have a couple of Paizo's map packs too, and ended up taping them together. Most of them end up being 10 x 16 squares...but with a party of 7 PCs in a 4e campaign that only works for relatively small fights. Larger fights with lots of minions require more space.

Thistonius

First Post
If you have access to a laptop or PC, whcih you can connect to a TV or something similar, you can use http://www,rptools.net/ and their program called MapTools. I use it all the time in my games and find it invaluable since it is unlimited in size and you can still use hidden creatures which only you can see.

It can be a bit of hard work creating the maps at first, but after awhile you get use to it and they really do look better than tile sets.

Kris

Adventurer
Hello :)

I created a bunch of simple black & white dungeons back in May, and I also blew them up to miniatures scale. In all honesty they don't look that great when blown up to such a scale ...but here's a link to them in case they are of interest:

generic_dungeons

They can also be pieced together to make bigger dungeons too.

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer
Having inherited the position of DM for our gaming group, I'm on the lookout for good encounter maps (preferrably a minimum of 10 x 16 squares). Our former DM has all the "Fantastic Locations" ones from WOTC like City of Peril and Dragondown Grotto, and I've purchased two of Paizo's awesome flip-maps.

Are there other good printed sources for encounter maps out there?

If need be I can print my own, but the quality is never the same.

There are the Gamemastery flipmats, the Gamemastery tiles from Paizo. You can also download tile sets from RPGNow and put them together. Skeleton Key Games offers a huge plethora of stuff. Worldworksgames offers mostly 3D stuff; however, their stuff comes with a base board that you can use and then when you want to add the 3D stuff, you can.

Quickleaf

Legend
Yeah there are some great mapmakers available on-line (skeleton key, cartography guild, enworld), but I was hoping for something pre-printed.

That's one product I would love to see more of from WotC or Paizo - beautiful double-sided poster-size gaming maps. Packs and packs of them. B-)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases