Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
That all sounds reasonable.

Good!

Armour Class: 14 (+1 size, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14

Swim 30 ft.? Maybe have it act as heavily encumbered when "puffed up", so it slows to 20 feet.

It's got a nasty venom - looks like Con damage, probably with a racial bonus or Ability Focus to boost the DC.

Do we want it to be potentially fatal like the original or cut it down to nasty but not likely lethal? Maybe 1d6 Con?

3-12 damage for the spines seems an awful lot considering its size and strength. Shall we trim the spine damage down?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

We'll need to work the "puffing up" into the spines entry somehow. Should it increase its size to Medium when puffed, in addition to the reduced speed Cleon suggested upthread?

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

We'll need to work the "puffing up" into the spines entry somehow. Should it increase its size to Medium when puffed, in addition to the reduced speed Cleon suggested upthread?

I was thinking something like this:

Inflation (Ex): A giant porcupine fish can inflate itself by swallowing water. Inflation is an standard [?] action, as is deflation. An inflated porcupine fish is considered one size larger for purposes of defending against size-based special attacks such as Bull Rush, Overrun and Swallow Whole attacks. Furthermore, inflation causes the fish's spines to stand erect, giving it a spiny defence (see below).

An inflated porcupine fish is heavily encumbered by the weight of the swallowed water, which slows its swim speed to 20 ft.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, I might make it immediate to inflate and standard to deflate, but any of these options is ok by me.

Remove ads