Pathfinder 1E Azlant Adventure, and Using Pathfinder with Mythos

Monkey King

Explorer
Two new Pathfinder adventures are underway at Open Design, and you can help shape them.

The projects are The Red Eye of Azathoth (Cthulhu comet cult adventure using Pathfinder RPG in historical times), and From the Shore to the Sea (Pathfinder Azlant adventure).

More details over at the project announcement on KQ.com.

Whaddya think, are these a good fit for the Pathfinder setting and rules?

Wicht

Hero
Shore to the Sea sounded good enough to get me to join my first project. As it happened, I had some money in my Paypal account. :)

If I had enough money I might try the Red Eye as well but funds are too tight at the moment.

Admiral Caine

First Post
I love 'From Shore to the Sea'.

I always have, even from when something vaguely like it was suggested during Pathfinder's Beta period. I hope James, Wes, and Erik give it some serious thought before declining.

I can see how 'The Red Eye of Azathoth' could be done, but the idea using Pathfinder to do a semi-modern setting just isn't catching fire. I hope you and Josh understand, this is not a lack of faith that it could be done and done really well.. But I think it's ahead of it's time. Pathfinder is a new (or refreshed) approach to a fantasy sword and sorcery style game; and my gut emotional feeling is that I want to see it used for a fantasy adventure, not a modern one.

That is not to say I wouldn't like to see 'Red Eye' brought back for consideration next time, after the new car smell has faded from the rulebook.

Speaking of which, I was disappointed not to see Angels of Our Better Nature not returned as a choice. However, if you Wolfgang, did not want to write it yourself and no one else proposed it.. there's no faulting it not being offered.

Monkey King

Explorer
Yeah, I just wasn't in the mood to pitch Angels of Our Better Nature. I'm not sure why, but it will get another chance at a commission in future.

Red Eye of Azathoth
is hardly "modern". It covers the Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation, and THEN it hits the Wild West.

I'm pretty sure that Pathfinder covers all those eras but the last one really, really well.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I always have, even from when something vaguely like it was suggested during Pathfinder's Beta period. I hope James, Wes, and Erik give it some serious thought before declining.

Who said anything about declining yet? I think it sounds kinda cool too! :) Of course, Red Eye of Azathoth sounds super cool too... hmmm...

I can see how 'The Red Eye of Azathoth' could be done, but the idea using Pathfinder to do a semi-modern setting just isn't catching fire. I hope you and Josh understand, this is not a lack of faith that it could be done and done really well.. But I think it's ahead of it's time. Pathfinder is a new (or refreshed) approach to a fantasy sword and sorcery style game; and my gut emotional feeling is that I want to see it used for a fantasy adventure, not a modern one.

I have a home-brew post-apocalyptic Cthulhu mythos meets Fallout RPG I wrote up back in the day for d20, and I updated the rules a few months ago to work with Pathfinder so I could run a game at Paizocon. It worked out REALLY well, actually, so I'm pretty convinced that the PRPG can handle modern settings just fine. :)

deClench

First Post
Who said anything about declining yet? I think it sounds kinda cool too! :) Of course, Red Eye of Azathoth sounds super cool too... hmmm...

I have a home-brew post-apocalyptic Cthulhu mythos meets Fallout RPG I wrote up back in the day for d20, and I updated the rules a few months ago to work with Pathfinder so I could run a game at Paizocon. It worked out REALLY well, actually, so I'm pretty convinced that the PRPG can handle modern settings just fine. :)

Well, sounds like a new chapter in Red Eye of Azathoth to me! James Jacobs writing his own post-apocalyptic scenario for the project. I'm in! ;)

Admiral Caine

First Post
Yeah, I just wasn't in the mood to pitch Angels of Our Better Nature. I'm not sure why, but it will get another chance at a commission in future.

Perhaps today's political climate? ;)

Red Eye of Azathoth is hardly "modern". It covers the Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation, and THEN it hits the Wild West.

I'm pretty sure that Pathfinder covers all those eras but the last one really, really well.

Aww you're bustin' my chops over semantics.

No, it's clearly not modern, but it's real world earth. Sure, you can fit some magic in, just like Call of Cthulhu.. but it's not going to be full blown fantasy either. The Developers are going to have to modify the existing system to accomodate the setting. And as I said, I have every faith that they can do it and do it well..

..but my strong interest is with the other project.

And you know me, since when have I ever just took my money and walked away? I always roll over to whatever project actually wins.

James Jacobs said:

No one! I'm just being cautious! Daigle brought this up in chat once and you and Erik were more..cautious. At that particular time. Now I'm to understand that this pitch has been designed to minimize any concerns, and "that was then and this is now". I'm just steeling myself against being disappointed. That's all.

James Jacobs said:

Well cool.

You two still gonna hate me if I vote for Azlant anyway?;):p

Admiral Caine

First Post
Oh? What's that?

I suspect Wolfgang might want to throttle me for this.. because the idea is exciting..

Basically it was an exploration in the alien nature of Outsiders.. in this case 'good' outsiders.

This is from an old Kobold Quarterly Thread:

Angels of Our Better Nature (D&D): A truly experimental plot features angels as the main villains, plus factions among the city and the angels. The secret behind the angels is the final twist, and removing them from the city means that the city is restored. This one is full of surprises... And it’s the sort of experimental adventure unlikely to be offered anywhere else.

Last edited:

Remove ads