Monk Prestige Class

niastri

First Post
Brother of Celerity

These monks have focused themselves on the powers of movement, rather than the full variety of mental and physical abilities as normal monks. With no equal in the movement powers, the Brothers of Celerity are sometimes used as scouts, and just as often used as fast assault units. Brothers of Celerity also make great adventurers, for their combat abilities and for their ability to evade danger and inflict damage suddenly and from secret.

Requirements:
Skills: Tumble 10 Ranks
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Attack
Class Ability: Evasion
BAB: +5
Movement: +5 to base move over base movement for race

Class Abilities: d8 HD
BAB: Monk
Saves: Reflex Good
Skills: As Monk
Skill Points: 4+Int

Class abilities
1 Monk abilities, Increased movement +10, Improved Tumble
2 Quicker Than the Eye
3 Move like Water
4 Uncanny Dodge, Increased movement +20
5 Lighting Travel

Monk abilities: The Brother of Celerity adds his class levels to monk levels to determine bonuses for AC bonus, Unarmed Damage and attacks and Movement.

Increased Movement: At 1st level, The Brother of Celerity gains +10 to their base movement. This stacks with the increase to movement from the Monk class abilities. This ability increases to +20 at 4th level.

Improved Tumble: The Brother of Celerity can tumble to avoid attacks of opp for their full movement, no longer affected by the 20ft limit.

Quicker than the Eye: The Brother of Celerity can make bluff actions as a movement action rather than a standard action. See Song and Silence for the feat with the same name.

Move Like Water: The Brother of Celerity can take an extra movement action once per round for as many rounds in a day equal to his Wisdom bonus plus his class levels. A third level BoC with Wis of 16 can take 6 extra move actions per day.

Uncanny Dodge: The BoC can no longer be flanked at this level. A Rogue 4 levels or higher can still flank the BoC.

Lightning Travel: A BoC can use the Dimension door ability as an extraordinary ability once per day equal to their class level + their Wisdom bonus. Their caster level is the equivalent of their class level.

Jeph

Explorer
I wouldn't require sneak attack . . . In fact, that's a pretty horrid idea. It has nothing to do with the character concept, and is more restricting. It would make a good character if it had sneak attack (goodness knows I know it . . . and so doe Corlon), but this particular PrC shouldn't need it. If it did require Sneak Attack, it would only be open to Barbarian / Rogues, Monk / rogues, Barbarian / Assassins, or Monk / Assasins (and other SAing PrCs).

Seems pretty good, definitely not overpowered.

On the subject of DimDoor, though, it'll be like 12 / day for many monks by that level . . . You might want to say 1 / day / point of wisdom bonus (min 1 / day).

-Jeph

niastri

First Post
The class will be nice if you can get it with Sneak Attack, but the idea is that everybody can make advantages out of the Quicker Than the Eye ability.

On Dim Door, they will be 12th level by that point min, and have to have a very high wis bonus. Since it is a penultimate class ability, I don't think it is ridiculous, but what would you have instead. I was thinking the Dimension Slide ability, or the Shadowdancer ability, which are both similar. But Dim Door is something everybody knew about, whereas Dim Slide is less powerful but also in a book that many people don't have, being a psionic ability rather than magical, which probably makes more sense. The Shadowdancer ability is both limited and takes a bit for some players to get right, so I went simple. I seriously thought of making the Lightning ability at will, to keep up with the monk stuff at that level, but went limited to keep it from getting ridiculous.

I think prestige classes should be powerful as long as they have unique abilities, especially penultimate powers that you have to choose five levels for.

Last edited:

Alchemist

First Post
Not to be pedantic and make no contribution to your discussion, but "penultimate" is the next-to-last. "Ultimate" would be the last, and an appropriate description for your Dimension Door ability. Just one of those things that cranks me. :)

And now, some contribution: I like it. My friend and I were talking about a similar thing just last week, but for our game we're probably going to just rework the core monk class to be focused on mobility and make some other changes rather than institute a prestige class.

Remove ads