Why do elves sleep now?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block EroGaki

Friend+

Why do elves sleep now?

Out of all the rule changes Paizo made, the removal of Elven Reverie (or Trance, as the kids call it these days) seems rather... pointless.

I imagine it was cut because space was at a premium and the trance rules have very little effect on the game (not to mention that they're easily added in as flavor).

My personal preference is for elves that sleep anyway, since I like tossing out late night ambushes and prophetic dream sequences.

This seems very setting specific... which makes me glad I have my "Elves of Golorian". In there it says elves (of Golorian) go into a trance... That's what I'd base my info off of.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block James Jacobs

Friend+
    Elves not sleeping is indeed relatively setting specific, and while trances are in Elves of Golarion, it's something we'll honestly probably be moving away from in Golarion. We've done a fair amount to reimagine our elves, and by having them sleep (or at least implying they sleep) does help to make Golarion's elves more Golarion and less Forgotten Realms (which is the actual only setting in which elves don't sleep, I believe... even though they seem to still be on a day-night cycle and often have beds in their homes...).

BUT! If you prefer the non-sleeping elves, that certainly still works in your game. Unless I'm wrong, there's nothing in the elf flavor text in the PRPG that says they DO sleep, is there?

Evens out the base character races, making all their rest patterns congruent.

Less confusion involving the 4 hours needed for trancing and the 8 hours of rest needed for arcane spell preperaration.

CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Mark

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by EroGaki View Post
    Why do elves sleep now?

If you'd been awake for the last three editions, you'd be tired, too.

Tolkien had elves sleep, sort of, and only sometimes, which is where that all gets its start.
    Last edited by Mark; Saturday, 22nd August, 2009 at 11:19 PM.

FR was the setting that elves traced , it just spread after that

If you check 3.5 you'll see that there is no mention of elves trancing instead of sleeping. So this isn't really a change at all.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block EroGaki

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Caedwyr View Post
    If you check 3.5 you'll see that there is no mention of elves trancing instead of sleeping. So this isn't really a change at all.
    Actually, it does. Elven Reverie is mentioned in the physical description of the Elves in the race section of the book.

Ah, that'll teach me not to rely on just the SRD then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply