Why do elves sleep now?

EroGaki

First Post
Out of all the rule changes Paizo made, the removal of Elven Reverie (or Trance, as the kids call it these days) seems rather... pointless.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I imagine it was cut because space was at a premium and the trance rules have very little effect on the game (not to mention that they're easily added in as flavor).

My personal preference is for elves that sleep anyway, since I like tossing out late night ambushes and prophetic dream sequences.

Serphet

First Post
This seems very setting specific... which makes me glad I have my "Elves of Golorian". In there it says elves (of Golorian) go into a trance... That's what I'd base my info off of.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Elves not sleeping is indeed relatively setting specific, and while trances are in Elves of Golarion, it's something we'll honestly probably be moving away from in Golarion. We've done a fair amount to reimagine our elves, and by having them sleep (or at least implying they sleep) does help to make Golarion's elves more Golarion and less Forgotten Realms (which is the actual only setting in which elves don't sleep, I believe... even though they seem to still be on a day-night cycle and often have beds in their homes...).

BUT! If you prefer the non-sleeping elves, that certainly still works in your game. Unless I'm wrong, there's nothing in the elf flavor text in the PRPG that says they DO sleep, is there?

frankthedm

First Post
Evens out the base character races, making all their rest patterns congruent.

Less confusion involving the 4 hours needed for trancing and the 8 hours of rest needed for arcane spell preperaration.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Why do elves sleep now?

If you'd been awake for the last three editions, you'd be tired, too. ;)

Tolkien had elves sleep, sort of, and only sometimes, which is where that all gets its start.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases