Artifact Item. Help me build one?

Ambershanks

First Post
So, I decided that it was time for an artifact item to drop in my game. My players are level 13. Luckily the item dropped at the end of the session last week, so I have a little time to prepare for springing this surprise. :)

However, despite looking over the 4 items in the DMG so many times that I probably have them memorized, I'm no closer to having this item designed. So, I figured I'd throw out the info I have on it, and see if you folks could get me pointed in the right direction.

What we know:
The Item is a +4 jagged double sword (this could change if its not powerful enough for a paragon artifact).
The setting is kind of fantasy Egyptian, where the undead are anathema, and the Sun-God rules all.

...yeah. Like I said, I just started, so if there is any additional information I can give, let me know.

-Amber

i'd love to help, but i don't know what the item is designed to do, or by whom. perhaps some more information here would be helpful in that regard?

ed

lectric

First Post
Okay, howabout this:

Raven's Feather (in a standard campaign, or in an egyptian game: Blade of the Sun): +4 Jagged Sword

Weapon Proficiency: Superior (or possibly require a special feat to use this sword, with a special quest undertaken to gain the feat)

Property: +2 bonus to Religion checks
Property: All damage done by this sword is Radiant damage, in addition to whatever other damage is listed by the power/ability of the sword
Property: When using an attack power granted by the sword, wielder uses highest character ability, instead of ability noted for that power.

Power (at Will): Healing Strike (Cleric 1), as a standard action.
Power (Encounter): Break the Spirit (Cleric 7); as written, but minimum penalty 1 (e.g. if wielder has no charisma bonus).
Power (Daily): The sword acts as a Holy Lantern (Cleric 6), which can be activated once per day (for up to 10 hours), or deactivated as a standard action.

Goals of the Raven's Feather / Blade of the Sun:
Encourage people to accept their fate
To punish those who try to change their fate
To kill undead (those who resist their fate)

Roleplaying

The sword does not speak to its owner until the first encounter with undead. At that point it springs to life, urging its owner in bright, nonverbal images, to do battle with the undead. It is capricious, and will not tell the owner what makes it more or less satisfied.

If anyone uses powers that attempt to change the owner's fate (e.g. rerolling a die roll, or rerolling an attacker's die roll against the owner), the sword becomes angry and punishes the owner (see concordance). It may also become angry at the person who resists fate, giving the owner dreams about attacking the character who altered fate.

Concordance

• Starting Score 5
  • Owner gains a level +1d10
  • Owner can cast at least one divine spell +2
  • Owner or ally kills an undead creature (1/encounter) +2
  • Owner attempts to change fate (e.g. by rerolling a die) -2
  • Owner or an ally attacks any creature that has the ability to turn undead (max 1/encounter) -2
  • Owner flees undead, or does not enter combat with undead -5
Pleased (16-20)
The blade's bonus increases to +5
Critical: on a critical hit, sword adds Daunting Light (Cleric 3) to the creature hit, as an immediate reaction. Maximum Daunting Light damage.
Special: The owner can speak, understand, read and write the Supernal language.
Special: The owner gains resist necrotic 5

Satisfied (12-15)
Critical: On a critical hit sword adds Daunting Light (Cleric 3) to the creature hit, as an immediate reaction. Roll for Daunting Light damage.
Special: The owner can speak, understand, read and write the Supernal language.

Normal (5-11)
The sword is quiet until the first encounter with undead, testing its new owner's resolve.

Unsatisfied (1-4)
Special: You take -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls against any creature other than undead.

Angered (0 or lower)
The sword's enhancement bonus drops to +3
Special: You take -5 penalty to attack and damage rolls against any creature other than undead.

Moving on: The sword follows fate, and when fate decides it's needed elsewhere, it moves on. When the character next gains a level, the sword disappears, along with its sentience and abilities, to another world. If the sword is at least satisfied, it leaves behind a +5 magic sword (or Holy Avenger sword if character is at least level 20).

Remove ads