Adventure Paths

AngryMojo

First Post
Alright all you Pathfinders, I'm a primarily 4e DM, but I picked up Pathfinder and I'm thinking about buying one of the adventure paths, both for plundering ideas and fun reading. What is the lowdown on the paths Paizo has done so far? Which one, in your opinions, is the best?

Wicht

Hero
Rise of the RuneLords: A Good overall adventure path with some homages to Against the Giants. Players start in a small town, travel to a city to solve a murder, end up involved with battles against giants before uncovering an ancient evil is again threatening the world. Some largish dungeons, but overall pretty balanced between dungeons and exporation.

Curse of the Crimson Throne: An urban adventure that ends up leaving the city asthe heroes struggle to bring order and justice to the throne of the city of Korvosa.

Second Darkness: Drow are discovered to be real! The heroes learn that the drow are trying to bring about a great cataclysm and must venture into the underdark of Golarion to stop it.

Legacy of Fire: My potential favorite thus far. Genies and gnolls threaten the desert kingdom of Katapesh. Heroes start out reclaiming a town for the Pactmasters of Katapesh but end up uncovering an ancient artifact that takes them to another dimension and releases an evil genie with infernal designs.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Me, I like the Curse of the Crimson Throne - undead, raksasha, a plague that is a real peril, political maneuvering and intrigue, murder most foul, characters who are not what they seem.... Grim and grimy. :)

The Auld Grump

Wycen

Explorer
Be aware that the first 3, perhaps 4? Pathfinder adventure paths are 3.5 oriented, so if you are looking specifically for Pathfinder RPG paths, look at the newer releases.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
All of the APs that have been completely released (through Legacy of Fire) are 3.5 oriented. The one currently in production (Council of Thieves) is the first 'Pathfinder' AP.

That said, I'm running Legacy of Fire with the Pathfinder rules (characters are actually Beta, and I'm not making my players convert) and it's working fine.

To be fair, I've only read bits and pieces of any of them other than Legacy, but it is fantastic! Richly detailed, intricate plot and a great backstory.

Admiral Caine

First Post
I love Runelords, I really do. So much that I'm running it twice (one game is stalled however, at Chapter 5).

Now tht I professed my love for it, let me add that I think it has the most technical goofs.. and places where the plot strays the most.

Just from skimming, I'd say Legacy of Fire is the strong contender depending on taste.

As a previous poster added, Council of Thieves is new and designed for the new rules set. Only Chapter One is out as of this writing, so while it looks great.. I have less impressions of it thus far.

Miphon

First Post
Alright all you Pathfinders, I'm a primarily 4e DM, but I picked up Pathfinder and I'm thinking about buying one of the adventure paths, both for plundering ideas and fun reading. What is the lowdown on the paths Paizo has done so far? Which one, in your opinions, is the best?

As a fellow 4E DM, I can heartily recommend Paizo's APs, and you will be pleased to know that there people working on converting the majority of them to 4E (if you decide that you want to run one using 4E).

Which one is probably largely a matter of taste, and Wicht's summary seems right to me, but I have really only read Rise of the Runelords in detail (which I am running for my 4E group) and lightly skimmed through the others.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases