DDI Sept - "PH3 Skill Powers", "Fighter: Great Weapon", etc.

September Editorial Calendar is up. Assassin will be published tier by tier each week, and interesting to see the PH3 excerpt is "Skill Powers" which sounds like it could be fun. Plus, it looks like we get the Fighter article mysteriously referenced in this month's article.

Fun stuff!

Rechan

Adventurer
I wonder if the Skill Powers will be similar to what we saw in Complete Scoundrel.

Or if it will constitute things like Trip and Disarm.

Asmor

First Post
I'm guessing that it will be something like at-will powers which become available to you if you're trained in a particular skill.

For example, something like...

Feint - At Will
Standard action
Bluff vs. Will
Prerequsite: You must be trained in bluff
Hit: You gain combat advantage against target on your next attack before the end of your next turn.

(Yes, I know there are already rules for feinting, but I don't have the books handy. And this is just an example anyways)

fba827

Adventurer
What Asmor wrote is the type of thing I'm expecting it to be ...

Which isn't a bad thing, I just don't want it to overtake the powers (i.e. if you can use your skill to jump up from prone as a minor action you've just negated the purpose of a couple rogue powers and magic items, etc).

Cadfan

First Post
Which isn't a bad thing, I just don't want it to overtake the powers (i.e. if you can use your skill to jump up from prone as a minor action you've just negated the purpose of a couple rogue powers and magic items, etc).
Not if using your skill in that way requires a power swap feat.

fba827

Adventurer
Not if using your skill in that way requires a power swap feat.

True enough! I wasn't considering that. I was considering it more of a "if you have the skill and meet the prereqs you can do this .." (i.e. powers listed as an expansion to the skill description).

But I'd be fine with it acting as a power-swap feat (presuming it was something "strong enough" to warrant the place of a power; EDIT: Of course, "strong enough" is completely subjective and based on personal game experiences and preferences)

:)

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, I'd expect them to be Encounter powers which cost a feat slot, a power slot, or both (like how power-swap feats work).

Cheers, -- N

Imaro

Legend
Yeah, I'd expect them to be Encounter powers which cost a feat slot, a power slot, or both (like how power-swap feats work).

Cheers, -- N

The only thing that would worry me if they work like this is that... aren't we back in the boat of exchanging combat effectiveness for out of combat effectiveness? I'd much rather see something like Exalted's charms perhaps where at certain levels in the skill you receive a choice of powers.

Glyfair

Explorer
Where are the 4E updates to Dragons of Eberron & City of Stormreach?

GenCon in 2008 WotC mentioned that the 4E updates were in development for the last of the 3.5 books. About June it was announced they would be released in a few weeks.

Now, in July we ended up with the updates for two products, Exemplars of Evil and Elder Evils. This month we have nothing. Now the September calendar has no updates listed.

This is supposed to be the year of Eberron. You'd think they'd want to get them out shortly after the campaign setting was released.

Anyone heard any recent word on the remaining 4E updates for the last 3.5 products?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The only thing that would worry me if they work like this is that... aren't we back in the boat of exchanging combat effectiveness for out of combat effectiveness?
Not if the out-of-combat powers were Utility swaps. :)

I've got some ideas for dual-use powers (with different in-combat and out-of-combat uses), but I want to see what WotC puts out.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases