Tourney Jousting Rules

Daern

Explorer
Tonight we had our long awaited jousting tournement. I made up some rules for the occasion, drawing on old Dragon mags, Pendragon RPG, the film "A Knight's Tale" and various forum posts. In general the design goals were to allow player characters to participate with a minimum of fiddling with their character and I wanted the jousting matches to be strategic but very quick. During the session the numbers were slightly different, and I didn't allow players to combine the attack options with exploits, but talking it over afterward, this is what seemed to make sense.
Gaming a knightly joust was lots of fun! Anyways, here it is. Feel free to comment.

Trappings of the Joust:
o Lance (One-handed melee military; +2 proficiency; 1d10 dmg; Properties: Reach; High Crit)
o Heavy armor, Shield, Warhorse. (Only special jousting lances may be used in competition, no magical weapons. Magic Armor is acceptable.)
o Mounted Combat is not essential but usually grants +5 damage.

Three Passes: A knight wins by breaking more lances than his opponent, or by unhorsing his opponent. If there is no winner after 3 passes it is a draw, unless a knight challenges for a duel (this is rarely done in public competition unless there is a grudge involved). A challenge may be made on the spot. It is honorable to accept a draw. It is not honorable to refuse a challenge. It is not honorable for a loser to challenge to a duel.

Rules
1. Equal Initiative
2. Both riders Move at full speed toward each other (both riders may take a minor action).
3. Both riders Charge: Basic Melee attack (+1 to hit
) or Charging Power (Howling Strike etc).
4. Athletics Check: DC 5+ damage dealt to stay mounted.
5. Critical hits and strikes of more than 10 hp break the lance.
6. If both riders fall, melee weapons are provided and the duel is finished on foot.

Tactical Options
• Minor: Crouch defensively (–2 to hit / +2 AC 
/ +2 Athletics); make a Standard Action.
• Minor: Reach forward (win Initiative/ -2 AC/ -2 Athletics); make a Standard Action.
• Minor: Target the head (–3 to hit = Max damage); make a Standard Action (Some consider it dishonorable to use this tactic).
• Power that allows charging (ex. Cometfall Charge, Glorious Charge)

Dueling
• 3 Rounds. Best of three strikes, or first blood.

Dishonorable Acts (Causing Forfeit of the Joust)
• Striking the horse.
• Obvious use of magic.
• Using a lance of war.
• Charging too late or too early.

Mentat55

First Post
It might be cool if you incorporate some way of gaining the crowd's favor, and this granting a small bonus (maybe a +1 to a single check), or some other skill challenge-esque aspects. I like what you have here -- one of my favorite "local color" episodes in a game involved a city festival with various competitions, like archery, wrestling, swimming, etc. I think these can be super fun for players.

Do you have things for characters that aren't really martially inclined to do? That would be other thing to add in, I think.

Daern

Explorer
Yeah, we were talking about how one could use the intimidate skill before the bout, or even during the challenge phase. I as far as gaining the crowds' favor, that would be neat to integrate into some sort of general "Honor" mechanic. There's alot of options, but I this worked out pretty well because it was quick and fairly satisfying. For the game, I made sure everyone brought at least an extra character specifically for jousting and let them roll for NPCs as well, because I wanted to focus on the joust. I'd like to perhaps use formal jousting as a regular feature in the campaign world.
I forgot to mention "Tournaments, Fairs, and Taverns" from Natural 20 Press has some neat stuff for this.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, we were talking about how one could use the intimidate skill before the bout, or even during the challenge phase. I as far as gaining the crowds' favor, that would be neat to integrate into some sort of general "Honor" mechanic. There's alot of options, but I this worked out pretty well because it was quick and fairly satisfying. For the game, I made sure everyone brought at least an extra character specifically for jousting and let them roll for NPCs as well, because I wanted to focus on the joust. I'd like to perhaps use formal jousting as a regular feature in the campaign world.
I forgot to mention "Tournaments, Fairs, and Taverns" from Natural 20 Press has some neat stuff for this.

I would say winning the crowds favor can normally done with Diplomacy or Bluffing or Intimidation... depending on your tactic... and its normally a face off ;-), and the crowd may be pre-disposed. If you don't respond to your adversaries attempt at winning the crowd you might even get an apple in the eye or similar during the joust.. not just booing and hissing which distracts and messes with your morale.

Daern

Explorer
Honorable acts could give bonus to an intimidate or diplomacy check. Either of which could be used to sway the crowd and cow the opponent. The whole problem with an honor and reputation point systems is that it only matters in a couple situations. But if you played a campaign with a lot of jousting and public duels, then it could be worth it. The main thing is that I want it to run quickly so that multiple duels/jousts can be fought and it fits into a more free-form roleplaying session of the tourney and fair.
Anyone have any could stories experiences with this?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases