Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Gnurl visibly perks up at this remark, "What's that? A tower, you say? Might you be convinced to direct us to this tower, or, better yet, accompany us there?"

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

As Radoon tells the tale a pair of lads are called in to remove the bodies. It seems the Border Isles remain a mostly lawless place where life is cheap.

As Radoon finishes, Peg-Leg Pelicanous drains her cordial glass and sighs. "A dark tale of dangerous magic and evil deeds." She unconsciously makes a sign against the evil eye with her left hand as she speaks. "While the Sea Sorcerer, the Lich I guess I should say and I have spent many a year in the Border Isles I can't say that I've met him. We don't exactly run in the same circles. He had quite the reputation as a dashing and powerful man when we were both a lot younger. As he got older though, his reputation changed. He was known as a recluse and a keeper of strange hours and stranger friends." She keeps her voice low as if somewhat uncomfortable speaking about the man. "He must be quite old, not just ordinary old like me, but an unnatural older than old sort of old. It was said that he prolonged his life with magic. But I guess even magic has its limits and he has sought out the power of undeath rather than life. No one has seen him in quite some time. I guess he'd sailed that fancy yacht of his weeks ago. But recently, there has been a lot of activity over at his place. Has a fancy tower that takes up a good bit of a nearby Isle."

As the two gentlemen take care of cleaning up, Radoon will collect the winnings and return what belongs to Pelicanous plus the 10% saying, "I'm sorry about messing up your place. You mention The Lich has stranger friends, might you know of any that have grown out of his favor that we might have a chat with?" Radoon will motion to his friends to join he and Peg-leg at the table if they are not already there. and seeing his glass again empty will motion for another round for he and his friends. "Hmmm, a watchtower you say, guess it'll be difficult to sail in unseen then. Is there anything more you might know?"

Scotley

Hero
At Gnurl's suggestion Pelicanous snorts, "Ah, I may be getting old, but I'm not senile yet. There's no way I'm going near that place, but I can certainly tell ye how to get there if ye be so inclined. 'Tis no place for an ole sailor lady with a bum leg to be sure."

The winnings offered up by Radoon, she quickly makes vanish into a pouch. "As I said, I don't move in the same circles as that Sorcerer, but Gnoll bitch of my passing acquaintance who some say used to be welcome in the tower. She was a student of sorts I guess, but they seem to have had a falling out. She can be found most days in the back room of the Busted Skull. If you go down there I suggest ye keep one hand on your money and one on your sword. It's not a safe and respectable joint like this one." The halfling blood still drying on the floor suggests that 'safe and respectable' have a different meaning in the Border Isles than they do back in the heart of the Empire. "She sells second rate castings to desperate scum. Some say she's a witch." The bartender brings another round.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

"Very well, then, Lady Pelicanous. Where may we find this gnoll witch? And where is this tower located, if you please?"

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

"Very well, then, Lady Pelicanous. Where may we find this gnoll witch? And where is this tower located, if you please?"

Radoon is busy drinking when Gnurl's words again come out and he almost chokes on his whiskey at his friend's directness. Hmmm, what is up with Gnurl, it's not like him to be so loose lipped.

Scotley

Hero
"Perhaps you should go a little slower on the drinks master Gnome. As I said before the the gnoll witch, if that is what she is, may be found in the back room of a disreputable establishment called the Busted Skull down to the east of the quay." She takes another sip of her own drink. "As for the tower, the Isle upon which it sits can be found on any decent set of sea charts to the north west a day's sail marked as 'Baldin's Keep'. But of course the Baldin line died out generations ago and the Isle's title changed hands at least three times before the Sea Sorcerer or Lich bought it from the Empire when I was but a lass."

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Gnurl, suitably chastised, blushes furiously. "Um, well, yes, of course I shall slow down on the drink. Whooo! Must be getting to me!"

Inwardly, Gnurl decides that he will have a look at the charts on the CrestDancer, or, more accurately, will have Cap'n Swabby to do so, to see if there is any such Baldin's Keep marked on maps we already have.

Lou

Explorer
Zurrik Odeil

Zurrik grabs his sweets from the bar, waves over another drink, and sits to listen to the conversation and watch the bodies being carried away.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

"Perhaps you should go a little slower on the drinks master Gnome. As I said before the the gnoll witch, if that is what she is, may be found in the back room of a disreputable establishment called the Busted Skull down to the east of the quay." She takes another sip of her own drink. "As for the tower, the Isle upon which it sits can be found on any decent set of sea charts to the north west a day's sail marked as 'Baldin's Keep'. But of course the Baldin line died out generations ago and the Isle's title changed hands at least three times before the Sea Sorcerer or Lich bought it from the Empire when I was but a lass."

Radoon will keep for himself any other monies the two halflings left prematurely. To Pelicanous he says, "You never cease to amaze...you have always been a wealth of information. One of the few that have learned quite well the art of listening." A small smile tugs at the right side of his mouth as he says this. "Might you tell us where a nice SAFE place would be to stay tonight? Preferably one that is close so we don't have any more run-ins tonight..."

Remove ads