Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

Listening to his friends as they eat, Zurrik responds, "It's probably best we stay together. Will we be staying another night here?"

"Good question. I suppose we should get to restocking the ships if we intend to leave today. I'm in no hurry if there might be any more info to be had here but I think we may be ready to move on to pay a visit to Gnoll bitch at Busted Skull after we make a stop at church to make a small token of my appreciation." If Crumpet is still here, Radoon will ask him where the Busted skull might be found? And if he knows anything of the Gnoll bitch.

Scotley

Hero
A fine table is set in the main house. It is long table with seats for a dozen covered with a linen tablecloth and set with china and silver. Tea, juice and water are available in kettles and pitchers on the table along with small loaves of bread, butter and jam. A side board is set with platters of fried eggs, bacon, sausages, porridge and a quarter wheel of hard yellow cheese. The other lodgers, four gentlemen who appear to be in sales for a fairly large trading company are aligned on one side of the table while a lady of advanced years sits at the head of the table. Her gray hair is carefully styled and she wears a pale blue silk dress decorated with patterns of seed pearls. She listens to a rambling story by one of the salesmen as you enter. She bids you welcome with a gesture, but does not interrupt the storyteller. The food proves tasty and plentiful.

OOC: On the curse: You have a collection of potions and scrolls that mitigate the nightmares, smells and other lesser effects of the curse. Your supply should be good enough for several more days. The finest healers priests the Captain and Marienna could find were unable to do more than that. It is possible someone else could do more, but sure way is of course to destroy the Lich.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

A fine table is set in the main house. It is long table with seats for a dozen covered with a linen tablecloth and set with china and silver. Tea, juice and water are available in kettles and pitchers on the table along with small loaves of bread, butter and jam. A side board is set with platters of fried eggs, bacon, sausages, porridge and a quarter wheel of hard yellow cheese. The other lodgers, four gentlemen who appear to be in sales for a fairly large trading company are aligned on one side of the table while a lady of advanced years sits at the head of the table. Her gray hair is carefully styled and she wears a pale blue silk dress decorated with patterns of seed pearls. She listens to a rambling story by one of the salesmen as you enter. She bids you welcome with a gesture, but does not interrupt the storyteller. The food proves tasty and plentiful.

OOC: On the curse: You have a collection of potions and scrolls that mitigate the nightmares, smells and other lesser effects of the curse. Your supply should be good enough for several more days. The finest healers priests the Captain and Marienna could find were unable to do more than that. It is possible someone else could do more, but sure way is of course to destroy the Lich.

As Radoon enters, he will quietly take a seat when the lady of the house gestures. He will listen for a few minutes as he loads up his plate to see what the story is about and try and discern what these men sell. If the gentleman speaking seems to ramble on and the lady seems to be only politely interested, Radoon will begin to ask difficult questions of the speaker to quiet him.

bluff check (1d20+11=18)

Once the table quiets a bit Radoon will begin conversing with the lady,

"I must say, this is one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed. My friends and I came in quite late and even though your men were quite tired, they showed the utmost courtesy to us. And that Crumpet, surprisingly intelligent and a very good sense of humor! Everything we have asked for has been attended to." Beginning to taste the fine breakfast, "and this breakfast...you certainly how to make an old salt very happy. How did you come to own this establishment?"

Scotley

Hero
The men seem to buy and sell whatever they think they can ship somewhere else for a profit. The story is a somewhat humorous tale of being becalmed off the Western reach with a sizable load of eggs only to discover that spring chickens where in high demand after an unseasonable frost had damaged the local stock. The story revolved around taking care of a ship filled to the rigging with hatchlings. From their rather plain clothes and lack of fine jewelry or other signs of wealth, they are either less successful than their boastful stories would imply or they are being very cautious in this somewhat lawless place. Once it becomes clear that the speaker could go on for hours, Radoon begins to put some of the more unlikely bits of the tale to the question and soon the salesmen note that they must be off and make sales calls.

The food proves quite appetizing. The lady answers Radoon's questions. "Yes, Crumpet is a treasure. He's been with us for years and he is quite resourceful, but keeping him feed is always a challenge for the kitchen staff. As for this place, it belonged to my late husband, the Captain's family. He grew up in this house. With his death I've chosen to take up rooming out the old servant's quarters to have some company about. I couldn't see sitting in this big old house alone. The servants live with me now. We meet some interesting people this way and I must say you are an unlikely lot. What brings you to the Border Islands? For I perceive by your speech, dress and need of a room that you are not local."

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Not one for either small talk, or pleasant breakfast conversation this morning, Gnurl wraps his arm around his bowl of porridge, draws it as close to him on the table as he dares, and all but buries his face in it. He does 'surface' now and then for another slice of bacon and a biscuit. And the occasional gulp of milk. All in all, not one of the more jovial moods his friends have seen him in, and no wisecracks or jokes at all! Horrors! All they can figure is that he is lost in thought about the curse and understandably morose because of it.

mleibrock

First Post
Any one out there?

The men seem to buy and sell whatever they think they can ship somewhere else for a profit. The story is a somewhat humorous tale of being becalmed off the Western reach with a sizable load of eggs only to discover that spring chickens where in high demand after an unseasonable frost had damaged the local stock. The story revolved around taking care of a ship filled to the rigging with hatchlings. From their rather plain clothes and lack of fine jewelry or other signs of wealth, they are either less successful than their boastful stories would imply or they are being very cautious in this somewhat lawless place. Once it becomes clear that the speaker could go on for hours, Radoon begins to put some of the more unlikely bits of the tale to the question and soon the salesmen note that they must be off and make sales calls.

The food proves quite appetizing. The lady answers Radoon's questions. "Yes, Crumpet is a treasure. He's been with us for years and he is quite resourceful, but keeping him feed is always a challenge for the kitchen staff. As for this place, it belonged to my late husband, the Captain's family. He grew up in this house. With his death I've chosen to take up rooming out the old servant's quarters to have some company about. I couldn't see sitting in this big old house alone. The servants live with me now. We meet some interesting people this way and I must say you are an unlikely lot. What brings you to the Border Islands? For I perceive by your speech, dress and need of a room that you are not local."

OOC - Hey guys! Radoon is not a natural at conversation and I've never pictured him as the leader, he was happier as first mate. I realize things change and I can have him assume a bigger role but I wanted to give you all a chance to chime in too if you would like to speak for the party - especially Zurrik?

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

Not one for either small talk, or pleasant breakfast conversation this morning, Gnurl wraps his arm around his bowl of porridge, draws it as close to him on the table as he dares, and all but buries his face in it. He does 'surface' now and then for another slice of bacon and a biscuit. And the occasional gulp of milk. All in all, not one of the more jovial moods his friends have seen him in, and no wisecracks or jokes at all! Horrors! All they can figure is that he is lost in thought about the curse and understandably morose because of it.

Radoon takes notice of Gnurl's quietness and questions begin forming in his mind. If Gnurl notices Radoon observing he, he will quickly look away.

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: You're doing great as far as I'm concerned, Mike! Gnurl certainly is in no position to exert any leadership.

Gnurl looks up for just a second and catches Radoon looking at him for just a sliver of a split second before he averts his gaze again. Gnurl raises an eyebrow, cocks his head to the side slightly, shrugs, and then crams more bacon in his mouth before resuming porridge-devouring.

Remove ads