Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling, Gnome Wizard at Small

"I'm notoriously bad with decisions, so why don't you just surprise me, Milady?" says Gnurl with a courtly bow.

Scotley

Hero
The woman brings Gnurl some apples and cheddar and then some of the pork in gravy with a big piece of dark bread as well as roasted parsnip. Radoon gets the same. H'Roosh gets soup and the Cleric apples and cheddar. The apples are crisp and the cheese rich and flavorful.

The eels take a bit longer, but prove to be perfectly cooked and quite tasty.

She also refills the drinks.

The warm afternoon is quite pleasant under the trees with the cool spring water flowing past and good food and cold drinks in abundance.

An older fellow with a battered lute shuffles in as you are finishing you first course. He is rather rumpled with lank salt and pepper hair and blood shot eyes. It seems likely that he just crawled out of bed well after noon. The barmaid brings him a large mug and a couple of parsnips with a hunk of bread without being asked. He plucks at the strings absently and fiddles with the tuning pegs a bit. The ale seems to restore him to some semblance of life. He nibbles a parsnip and then strums a melancholy tune as he works his way through the other parsnip and some of the bread along with all the ale. He finally looks up as the barmaid brings out the honey roasted figs. She gives the Cleric a portion and offers more to any who want them. As the barmaid returns to refill his mug the old minstrel asks. "Any of you gents fancy a tune this afternoon?"

Leif

Adventurer

"But of course, my good fellow," says Gnurl as he surreptitiously (where no one can see, he intends) fishes a gold piece from him pouch. "You don't seem to be much in the mood to regale us with a lively jig, so how about a more somber tune of unrequited loves and endless regrets?"

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

"But of course, my good fellow," says Gnurl as he surreptitiously (where no one can see, he intends) fishes a gold piece from him pouch. "You don't seem to be much in the mood to regale us with a lively jig, so how about a more somber tune of unrequited loves and endless regrets?"

"Now nopw, Gnurl, We don't all want to hear a tune about your lack of luck with the ladies."

Leif

Adventurer

"No, you've got it all wrong, Radoon! Songs about me and countless lasses who have succumbed to my ponderous, Gnomish charms tend to be more, shall we say, adult oriented -- too much so for listening while dining. These songs that I mentioned were the ones about you and the myriad women who have scorned the dainty lily of your love." :D

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

Radoon barely hears the gnomes retort. He is lost in the sound of the water and begins to wonder how life will be off a ship for an extended period of time. He suspects it might not be so bad with a wonderful woman such as "M" by his side but still, it's a huge change for him and a little unnerving as a result.

Leif

Adventurer

Somewhat disappointed that Radoon did not return his last salvo of invective, Gnurl sighs, shrugs, and gets back to eating. "Guess I won that round," he says.

Scotley

Hero
The mistral chuckles and has another pull of ale before launching into a ballad:

She met him at the water's edge No thought for the seagull's cry Nor waves that sought her tiny feet Nor the beautiful azure sky.

She shyly met him poorly dressed
With her straight long hair of dull brown No beauty touched her thin pale cheek Yet hungrily he pulled her down.

For love of him she gave her all As he so gladly to her pressed One goal in mind was all he had Twas quick he came to passion's crest.

Once his pleasure was sought and won He swiftly stood and made to go. Her trembling arms begged him to stay, He merely laughed and told her "No".

"Was nothing but a fancy passed, And nothing more, you must see. Perfect beauty is what I want, I find you are too plain for me."

He left her there in crumpled pain. Long in love's agony she lay,
Until the tide came gently in, To silently take her away.

So time did pass as time will do Til came another azure day. The man again stood on the beach His desire barely held at bay.

He waited while the day grew long Until at last with angry cry He cursed and shook a knotted fist At the darkening azure sky.

To the tavern he turned his thoughts But stopped and stood frozen in place. It seemed he heard a lovely song That took him in it's sweet embrace.

A movement in the swelling sea Caused him to doubt his narrowed eyes. Out of the deep and foamy brine An enchanting form did arise.

He caught his breath in lustful joy His chest pained by a heart too fast. The perfect beauty for which he yearned Was there within his reach at last.

She sang to him so soft and sweet, Ivory arms reached out in plea Of nothing else he saw or heard As he blindly stepped into the sea.

Now off the beach and to the East Tis an inlet that hides a cave,
Fiercely guarded by rugged rock And by the awesome pounding wave.

Within this place a mermaid sings And guards a pirate's chest of old. For in this chest her true love lies Lifeless upon a bed of gold.

Leif

Adventurer

"Yes, join us, Master Minstrel! How cam you by this song that you just sang for us? Are these waters and gold a work of fancy or be there a grain of truth within these charming words?"

Remove ads