Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

Scotley

Hero
"Don't mind if I do. I figure there is a grain of truth in all the really great songs. Trouble is separating the wheat from the chaff." He helps himself to the offered food and more drink. "I sense you are the sort of bold fellows about which song are writ and tales are told. In the market for a profitable quest are you? For a small fee I could trace back the origins of that little cautionary tale and perhaps find the truth that will lead you back to the gold in the box." He leans in conspiratorially for emphasis and rubs thumb and forefinger together before his face, a twinkle in his eye.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling, Gnome Wizard at Small

"And just how much would ye be askin' we poor folk for, Sir? Now if you find yourself in need of a spell or three, I might just know someone who can help you out. And if you have some enemies that just cry out to be dealt with, well, I'm all but certain that the bunch of us can give them a good, stern 'talking to,' if you follow me." ;)

Scotley

Hero
The man considers, obviously trying to determine what sort of gravy train he might be on to. "Well, I'm just a simple singer, I've no enemies to speak of. If I do cross paths with someone I find that spreading a carefully worded song around to other players in town quickly embarrasses the trouble maker into doing right. As for spells, my needs are simple and I need no Djinni to fulfill my wishes--a warm bed, a cool drink and a hot meal can all be earned with a few tunes. But I'm getting older and it would be nice to have a few coin set aside for my twilight years." He takes another drink and makes one final calculation before pitching his offer. "How about 100 gp as a retainer, reasonable expenses as I'll likely have to buy a few drinks for fellow songsmen to trace the origins and maybe pay a few coins to have a look at records and tomes, maps and such like. Then say another 2 gold a day for the usual coin I earn for playing the local taverns? A reasonable offer for my dedicated services."

Leif

Adventurer

Gnurl whips out his tablet and produces a charcoal pencil from somewhere and prepares to do some cipherin': "Hmm, let's see carry the two....divide by 1,2,3, oh, hell, divide by 9....take the cube root of the hypontenuse.....tell you what, will 150 gp cover it do you think?"

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

Radoon listens half-halfheartedly to Gnurl and the musician barter, still focused on the water but when they finish their conversation and quiet ensues, it prompts him to pipe up. "I'm not sure about all that as we currently have quite a bit of work to do before we can get to any of that but I will pay you for any information you might have about the sea sorcerer, his allies or any minotaur sightings lately."

Scotley

Hero
The old minstrel eagerly accepts Gnurl's offer of 150 gp. "You won't be disappointed. I will leave no stone unturned until I have all the information that can be found."

In response to Radoon he is more hesitant. "I wouldn't describe the Sea Sorcerer has having much in the way of allies. More a collection of misfits who hang around for lack of anyone else who will have them and a few who serve out of fear." His hand shakes a little as he drinks more ale. "When I was younger, rumor had it he was responsible for a lot of the criminal activity around here, that he headed some sort of gang, but most people say he's a crazy old recluse with little interest in the world beyond his tower these days." He considers the question about a minotaur for a moment. "There's a nasty fellow in the Border Isles, a minotaur with a reputation as a pirate and cutthroat. Haven't seen him myself, but I've heard he's a singularly unpleasant fellow. I'd start walking the other way in a big hurry if you see him."

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

The old minstrel eagerly accepts Gnurl's offer of 150 gp. "You won't be disappointed. I will leave no stone unturned until I have all the information that can be found."

In response to Radoon he is more hesitant. "I wouldn't describe the Sea Sorcerer has having much in the way of allies. More a collection of misfits who hang around for lack of anyone else who will have them and a few who serve out of fear." His hand shakes a little as he drinks more ale. "When I was younger, rumor had it he was responsible for a lot of the criminal activity around here, that he headed some sort of gang, but most people say he's a crazy old recluse with little interest in the world beyond his tower these days." He considers the question about a minotaur for a moment. "There's a nasty fellow in the Border Isles, a minotaur with a reputation as a pirate and cutthroat. Haven't seen him myself, but I've heard he's a singularly unpleasant fellow. I'd start walking the other way in a big hurry if you see him."

"Hmmm... a pirate you say... sounds like just the type of rap-scallion who needs to be fish food. You wouldn't happen to know his name, his ship's name or specific haunts he likes to visit in the Border Isles? Or any reference to any of these in any songs you know or have heard? Of course we would never mention from where this information came." Radoon reaches into his pack and jingles his money pouch.

Leif

Adventurer

"I fear you misunderstand me, my good fellow. I will pay up to 150 gp for the information, depending upon how good it proves to actually be. Now, allowing for your expenses in gaining access to the information, I'm prepared to pay you 2 gp now. With that, you can begin your 'snoop' and earn as much of the remaining 148 gp as you are able, depending upon the quality of your information." ;)

Gnurl gives the rotter 2 gp and kinda hopes he never sees him again.

Scotley

Hero
"Laxos is the Minotaur's name. He was on the Bleakborn with Captain Dimshade who was said to be undead of some sort, but that ship was lost last year. Laxos was one of the few survivors. Rumor was that it was a mutiny gone bad, but no one is sure which side Laxos was on. He spent some time up North End way (the most lawless, least civilized part of the Border Isles), but I hear he's in the city of late."

Leif

Adventurer

"Lovely," says Gnurl. "So what do you wish to do about that, my cohorts?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases