Proposal: Great Halberd, New Superior Reach Axe

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I think it's a little too good, and I think it's going to be the default reach weapon of choice for anyone not building around the great spear or chain, but screw it. Yes

garyh

First Post
I think it's a little too good, and I think it's going to be the default reach weapon of choice for anyone not building around the great spear or chain, but screw it. Yes

Thanks for the vote, THB! And, if you think about it, the chain and greatspear are currently the only superior reach weapons, so naturally this becomes the reach weapon of choice... if you're not using the greatspear or chain. :)

Each of those two still have plenty to recommend them (lots of great spear and chain feats, plus the extra +1 of proficiency).

I actually almost proposed a superior reach heavy blade along with this just for completeness' sake, but decided not to dilute my main goal. I'll let someone who's inspired by a picture from Dynasty Warriors handle that. :)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
And, if you think about it, the chain and greatspear are currently the only superior reach weapons, so naturally this becomes the reach weapon of choice... if you're not using the greatspear or chain. :)

Hah, well, yes, it's hard to avoid having one being better than the others, just like the spear was better than the chain, unless you were focusing on the chain. But what I meant is that if all you care about is reach, you'll probably use the reach axe, because it ever so slightly breaks the balance between +1 to hit versus increased damage.

Oh, and the chain feat in the PHB sucks. The only reason to take the chain is for use with the feat in the shadar-kai article, and for the style.

garyh

First Post
Spike Chain Training from Dragon 372 makes the spiked chain with some builds. But I digress.

I actually think the greatspear is still a better weapon for some builds. If you're more focused on applying effects (say, a tactical warlord or, really, most leaders), you just want to hit so the effect is applied, and aren't worried about the slight damage increase. The +3 instead of +2 is huge, then.

Once this is approved, I'll propose a superior reach heavy blade so there's some more options in the superior reach category. I didn't like that spear and chain were the only choices on principle anyway.

renau1g

First Post
Actually, as any class I'd almost prefer the +1 to hit, versus the small increase in damage, as the static modifiers are usually more than the dice rolls.

Kalidrev

First Post
You just turned the bastard sword into a reach weapon. The Bastard sword is already a superior weapon... this would make the reach bastard sword even more superior... I say get rid of either the versatile, the high crit, or make it a d8 instead of a d10.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
No

I've been out and haven't had the chance to read this fully, but I'm going to make sure it doesn't pass until I have time to do so. :)

I may change my vote after I read it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases