Proposal: Great Halberd, New Superior Reach Axe

Velmont

First Post
That's because you don't look at the whole picture. Find all weapon that gives you +2 to hit and 1d12 damage, or +3/1d10. They are all 2-handed, except the versatile weapons. If you are a shield figther, all you best damage weapon are versatile.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Yeah, but the fact that they're versatile doesn't make them good weapons. They're good weapons that just happen to also be versatile. What's good about them is that they're one-handed. If you took away the +1 damage when wielded in two hands, they'd still be just as good as ever.

Velmont

First Post
I think it's more in the mentality of the designers. At some point, a weapon become so big that it can either be a 2-handed weapon, or you can give it Versatile. I don't think you'll ever see a weapon +2/1d12 or +3/1d10 that is neither versatile or 2-handed.

But I agree for most military weapon (like Longsword) Versatile is pretty weak, even annoying for Small character.

elecgraystone

First Post
I think it's more in the mentality of the designers. At some point, a weapon become so big that it can either be a 2-handed weapon, or you can give it Versatile. I don't think you'll ever see a weapon +2/1d12 or +3/1d10 that is neither versatile or 2-handed.

But I agree for most military weapon (like Longsword) Versatile is pretty weak, even annoying for Small character.
LOL If all the best weapons were pink, would that make pink a good attribute? IMO the designers use Versatile as a penalty, not as a bonus. It's there to stop halfings from using bastard swords and not as a real bonus to the bastard sword wielder.

That's why I was saying reach and Versatile aren't really equal when switching out attributes. Reach is good ALL the time, while Versatile is your consolation gift for not being small.

Kodyax

First Post
Great idea, I may have to take some of this into my own Pathfinder game, although I may just have the visual and make it a normal halberd just the styling is rather unique.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It passed: Great Halberd / +2 proficiency bonus / 1d12 damage / axe, polearm / reach, high crit/ 30 GP / 16 lbs.

Superior Weapon

Great Halberd
+2 proficiency bonus / 1d12 damage / axe, polearm / reach, high crit/
average crit 18.5, dpr 5.85

Greatspear (Great Halberd better)
+3 proficiency bonus / 1d10 damage / polearm / reach /
+1 to hit, -1 damage, no axe, no high crit, average crit 10, dpr 5.45

Zadatl (Great Halberd better)
+2 proficiency bonus / 1d8 damage / spear, polearm / reach, high crit/
-2 damage, spear instead of axe, average crit 12.5, dpr 4.65

Spiked Chain, (Great Halberd better)
+3 proficiency bonus / 2d4 damage / polearm / reach /
+1 to hit, -1.5 damage, no axe, no high crit, average crit 8, dpr 5.1

dpr is first level PC with 18 Str and 50% chance to hit with Great Halberd.

This passed? Wow. This thing blows the doors off the other reach weapons.

This weapon is almost as strong as the strongest weapon in the game, but it also has reach. Once the PC gets the crit range to 19, the Great Halberd even beats out King Mordenkrad for damage as well (6.95 dpr vs. 6.8 dpr).

Mordenkrad (Great Halberd better, reach is worth more than .25 damage or 1.5 damage per encounter)
+2 proficiency bonus / 2d6 damage / hammer / brutal 1 /
+1.5 damage, only one type, average crit 12, dpr 6.1

Yikes! :eek:

Remove ads