Prepainted minis

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, all!

I was just wondering what the current state of affairs was in the prepainted minis market for D&D. I recently bought a few boosters of the most recent DDM set, "Legendary Evils" (you know, the ones with the huges) and was struck by how good most of them looks.

Plus, it had my all-time favourite bad guy in it, the Doomdreamer.

I went over to the Reaper Minis site and was bemused to find their "Legendary Encounters" range sitting still at only a handful of figures (slightly over 20, I think), which doesn't quite give much of a range.

Is there any other competition out there? Or what do you think of the current Wizards and Reaper offerings?

Cheers!

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
The secondary market rules for pre-painted minis. Between DDM, old Mageknight, Dreamblade and a few other brands, there's plenty to be had for cheap. I've been building armies for the last couple of years from such sources, so I am not as familiar with any new lines.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I think Legendary Evils is the best set in a long, long time.

I didn't collect all of the minis -- the Frost Titan, for example, didn't appeal to me at all -- but I am amazed at how good the ones I did get are. (I think I bought 30 or so of the 40 in the set.) Including the Commons, as the Goblin Cutter, the Slaad Spawn, and the Doomdreamer, in particular, are excellent.

If folks have been reluctant to buy due to the quality of the last several sets, this is a good set to jump in on, IMO.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I really enjoyed DDM and the Reaper stuff. Given that I haven't seen anything from Reaper in a while in the prepainted arena, I'm not holding my breath that they will be starting up the line anytime soon.

Rackham miniatures when they were around (I heard they are out of business, but I could be mistaken) put out some really awesome minis. When they were heavily discounted over at FFG, I bought a ton of boosters and blisters from that line and find the minis kewl.

I did enjoy Mageknight minis and only bought them on the cheap, but I think that time makes the plastic brittle, because many of them just break. Anyone else encountered this?

Henrix

Explorer
Rackham is still around. Shaky, and with new owners, but not dead.

It looks like they are finally coming around to the undead army, Acheron - they are sweet. Almost as sweet as the much prettier metal Rackham minis I have.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I really enjoyed DDM and the Reaper stuff. Given that I haven't seen anything from Reaper in a while in the prepainted arena, I'm not holding my breath that they will be starting up the line anytime soon.

Honestly, I thought it had died a year ago and they released a few more minis.

Now? I'd guess it's dead. Are they actually available in any stores you know of?

I did enjoy Mageknight minis and only bought them on the cheap, but I think that time makes the plastic brittle, because many of them just break. Anyone else encountered this?

Hmm. Haven't pulled out my old MK minis to check (I have some from the original release).

Cheers!

coyote6

Adventurer
My FLGS has a few (I think 3-5) packs of Reaper prepainted minis, but I think they're from a while ago. They're racked with the metal minis, and I never look at those (no time, talent, or inclination to paint 'em), otherwise I'd probably have bought 'em already.

Does Rackham make prepainted minis? Other than unit packs for Confrontation & AT-43, that is?

Holy Bovine

First Post
G'day, all!

I was just wondering what the current state of affairs was in the prepainted minis market for D&D. I recently bought a few boosters of the most recent DDM set, "Legendary Evils" (you know, the ones with the huges) and was struck by how good most of them looks.

Plus, it had my all-time favourite bad guy in it, the Doomdreamer.

I went over to the Reaper Minis site and was bemused to find their "Legendary Encounters" range sitting still at only a handful of figures (slightly over 20, I think), which doesn't quite give much of a range.

Is there any other competition out there? Or what do you think of the current Wizards and Reaper offerings?

Cheers!

I have to agree with MerricB and Jeff Wilder - the newest set of DDM are simply amazing. Best set in a long time (I think I have to go back to Unhallowed or even Underdark for a better one) with better painting, sculptures and even mini choice. I love being able to see the huge I was getting (Giants of Legend made me sad with getting 3 Bulettes in a single case :( ).

As for Reaper they seem to have left the prepainted mini scene for now. Given the restructuring of DDM and the collapse of Mage Knight in recent years I don't think the pre painted collectible miniature market is very healthy.

pawsplay

Hero
There are several new Reaper prepaints coming down the pipe that have had some delays with production, customs, etc. but should be around soon enough.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Reaper also recently announced that they're going to have an entire division: Asylum Miniatures, that will be devoted to producing the prepainted minis. Apparently it was just too much for what they had already so they're going to spin it off a bit to help with the logistics involved.

Supposedly they'll be producing a decent number of figures far more frequently.

Remove ads