Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking) - Page 6


What's on your mind?

  1. #51
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    CaBaNa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,064
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore CaBaNa
    My communities:

    Within the shadows of his hood, Veruzak smiled, *Kendrick might be as intelligent as I first thought* the idea brought comfort to the eladrin. For all their difference, the group seemed capable!

    Veruzak maintained his silence, nodding to Martelai when he asked to speak privately.

    There is much to be gained from silence, it was a lesson learned at the Temple of Open Hands, Eyes, and Minds. First in observing those who are speaking, then in casting out to observe the flow and ebb of local magics.

    OOC


    Veruzak is making Insight checks, and arcana checks to detect magic.





    Last edited by CaBaNa; Tuesday, 15th September, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
    MAGIC!

 

  • #52
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ScorpiusRisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roslindale MA 02131
    Posts
    2,499
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ScorpiusRisk
    My communities:

    knowledge checks
    Arcana +9, to see if this sounds like the result of some creature or ritual she had heard of, she is especially interested in these sparks. History +11 to see if this has happened before. Nature +4 for roughly the same reasons as Aracana, in case its a natural event.


    "Who was present during Krill Koll's rants?" During the speaking Bell had pulled out her quill, ink and journal and had taken down a rough shorthand of the entire conversation. "I am curious to what words he uttered.''

    Bell was very curious
    about the goings on here, she was also suspicious about the military man who was forced to kill a boy and thought it good to thoroughly examine the bodies. An excellent opportunity to practice sketching.
    Last edited by ScorpiusRisk; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
    Current Work: http://stuffershack.com/tag/brian-liberge/

  • #53
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    3,834
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mal Malenkirk
    Bell
    Rayn is missing. One of the first two patrol to disappear was led by him, Kendrick referenced it earlier. I am giving you a chance to edit before Kendrick says something snarky...


    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas
    Listening to the story, Atlas has been standing next to the table in is usual pose. While the story goes on, he silently comes alive as one of the waiters passes by, making him spill some of the milk he was carrying. " Could you please bring me some raw meat " he requests and continues to listen to what the Elders have to say.
    Kendrick stares evilly as Atlas startles his waiter and some of his milk splashes away. He wasn't one to cry over spilt milk... But fight over it, yes!

    Calm down. He didn't mean to do it, he didn't mean to do it... But damn it, it's my milk! He wouldn't be so careless with his steak! Arg! Come on, Breath in, breath out, he's an ally, remember he's an ally...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    "Who was present during Krill Koll's rants?" During the speaking Bell had pulled out her quill, ink and journal and had taken down a rough shorthand of the entire conversation. "I am curious to what words he uttered.''
    -''Yeah, I don't like that rant. It doesn't fit well with my rabies theory! Can't be ignored, though.'' Kendrick says thoughtfully. ''Hmm, That guy should be interrogated by someone who can tell a spell apart from a drunken binge and who wouldn't punch him in the face repeatedly if he isn't forthcoming with information. So I'm out.''
    Last edited by Mal Malenkirk; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 02:27 AM.

  • #54
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Stringbean2142's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    139
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Stringbean2142
    OOC
    First, some bookkeeping. Business is taking me to New York City Thursday through Sunday, but I'll have my laptop so I should be posting as usual. If there's a drop-off, I wanted to warn you. Thankfully, NYC isn't rural Kentucky...

    Veruzak
    A crit on Arcana, huh? That gives a success in the investigation, which I'll explain in a moment. Before that, what you were searching for. No sign of scrying or the halfling. There is a faint magical aura around Elder Frin, suggesting he is a long-time arcane user. Captain Yurian has a decently strong (level 4) magical item on him, but the recent ritual is preventing you from telling what, exactly, it is on him.

    Historical, there is nothing that matches what you're hearing yet. Haurton itself is a small fishing community. It's fallen on hard times as it drifts in the Transitive Isles, but used to be much closer to the mainland, before the Empire fell and Daunton was established. With a 21, you know that piracy is not unknown around here, and Daunton would make a good isle to store a cache of goods on, so there may be some evidence of that, espescially on the northern and western parts of the isle. The village, for reference, is in the southeast, on the least volatile waters of the isle.

    No connection to the Far Realm that you know of.

    Now, the success. Your Arcana shows you something else (and you needed a 30 to get this blind, but it makes sense here because your focus was so broad). There's a subtle magic in the earth beneath you, and it seems to be moving around. You've never felt or heard of anything like it before. It feels wrong in an indescribable way, as though this is power you can sense but could never use. Heck of a roll.

    Bell
    Arcana, History, Nature for Bell. (1d20+9,1d20+11,1d20+4=[3, 9], [5, 11], [9, 4])

    So, an 11 for Arcana leaves you without a clue.This is something very, very new to you. Likewise, a 16 for History reveals nothing to you. There's some vague stories of missing villages, but you don't know enough about what happened in the early days of those disappearances to know if this fits. A 13 Nature gives you much the same results as the Arcana check, which is nada.

    Sorry for the crap rolls, but IC goes through periods where it hates me. Might be the start of one of those.

    Catein
    Your insight gives you this tidbit. At mention of the halfling, Yurian seems just a bit perturbed and Elder Igliens is maybe a little nervous, but it's both subtle things. No one else would have noticed, even the two men; it was more a subconcious flinch than a conscious reaction. They don't talk about him, notice.


    Elder Igliens chuckles darkly at the mention of Krill Koll. "By the end of his little episode, most of those in earshot were crowded around. I myself was there for almost all of it, but the words were nonsense. He never finished his sentences, and his thoughts seemed to jump around wildly.

    "The sparks...! They're, they're in me, but...
    "Her head's all... why does it slope...? Who are... leave me be!
    "In... in the sparks... she's in the sparks, in me, in the sparks with them, in me, in... in... oh, gods!


    "And that was some of the more intelligible phrases he used. At one point, he was screaming in clicks or something like. Yurian, you were there by then."


    Yurin nods. "Aye, I was. It was sounds like I would not expect a human throat to make. The snap of leather on on leather, or perhaps better the smash of one crab shell on another, but over and over again. His eyes were rolled up at this point, and he was shaking all over. I saw a man once hit in the head. His brain was smashed in in the front, but he lived for more than ten minutes. Krill's movement reminded me of his. It was like he couldn't control his own body."

    Igliens gestures with his hand, an almost imperious gesture. "Ask who you want about it, but the fact is whatever he was talking about, we couldn't see it and we had no, what's the word, no context to understand him in. Maybe you can find meaning in the words, but I'm not sure how..."

    Elder Frin broke in. "Ask anyone whatever you need in this matter. In fact, if there are no more questions, we can get to the contracts and let you get started..."

    Veruzak, Kendrick
    You've got the perception for this; there's the faint sound of a man yelling in the direction the docks. It sounds a bit surprised, but there's no sign of danger in it.

    Progress
    I'd like to give you at least one more round of questions, especially since Catein hasn't gotten a chance yet. So while things might be moving, there's still time for roleplay.

    This dovetails into something else that's actually come up in other threads: splitting the party. As a DM in a PbP game, I've found that as long as everyone is working towards something, splitting the party is not as disasterous as in a face to face game, so if you want to do that I can promise that you won't likely run into something that you would need the whole party for, and if you do I'll make sure to drop anvilicious hints beforehand.

    The Investigation
    1 SUCCESS

    Clues/Facts:
    - Three months ago, animals start acting up. It starts in forest, spreads to farms and village.
    - Three weeks ago, a farmhand named Rand entered the Sea Foam Tavern and started attacking people. Was killed by a blow to the head.
    - A week ago, Krill Kol enters the villages screaming about sparks and strange people before passing out. Has no memory of event on awakening.
    - Six days ago, two people killed by an eight year old boy named Mart. Boy subsequently killed by Lt. Rayn.
    - Patrols sent out to investigate. Eighteen men disappeared and one was found killed, apparently by a member of the guard. Lt. Rayn was one of the men who disappeared.
    - Veruzak may have found something...

    Possible Actions:
    - Talk with Krill Koll about his episode.
    - Talk with the witness that are still around of the events.
    - Investigate the bodies of Rand and Mart. Arcana, Nature, Heal, or give me a good reason for something else. Different skills may reveal different things.
    Current Characters
    Mesa, Razorclaw Shifter Druid 2

    Current Games as DM
    Enemy Among Us - L4W

  • #55
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ScorpiusRisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roslindale MA 02131
    Posts
    2,499
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ScorpiusRisk
    My communities:

    Mal
    Thank you.


    Bell looked around the room, and eyed everyone oddly. Something didn't seem right at all. Things suddenly felt colder. I wish I could have access to the library. I know I'm forgetting something, but I just don't know what. . .

    Perception, Insight
    Bell, feeling very out of place is trying to get a feel for everyone in the room, hopefully noticing something out of place or someone who does not seem as they act.

    Insight +0, Perception +4


    "I have no more questions at this time. Thank you gentlemen." Once she is done examining the room she goes back to note taking.
    Last edited by ScorpiusRisk; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
    Current Work: http://stuffershack.com/tag/brian-liberge/

  • #56
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    CaBaNa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,064
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore CaBaNa
    My communities:

    Veruzak suddenly looks, as if he could see through the wall, toward the docks. He glances around the room to see if anyone else had heard the disturbance.

    Then he gazes at the floor, as if trying to stare through it as well... His head snaps back up, glaring at Elder Frin...

    The IAC could have been contacted before this incident escalated to it's present state. Let me review this contract, so that I may satisfy my curiosity as to the contents. Veruzak seems to be taking every effort to avoid an affront, though his tone is slightly reproachful, and condescending.

    A few moments pass,

    Did no one else hear that scream from the docks? The question is asked as if the answer was already given. Veruzak maintains his stance, hands folded within his robes, hood up, he didn't seem to be making an effort to familiarize the Elders with himself.


    OOC


    Does Veruzak know the relative distance between here and The Isle of O? If so, what is it?

    Nifty setting that blind arcana! You'd be surprised at how often a crit goes "to waste" in a skill challenge, Thanks for making it feel useful!





    MAGIC!

  • #57
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    3,834
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mal Malenkirk
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBaNa View Post
    Did no one else hear that scream from the docks?
    -''Who hasn't? But he doesn't sound like he's dying so it can wait until we sign the contracts and get our badges, or whatever it is guards get in this town.'' Kendrick says eagerly.

    Me, wearing a badge. Oh, how I love irony!
    Last edited by Mal Malenkirk; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 06:45 AM.

  • #58
    the peaceful
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Neurotic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,075
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Neurotic
    OOC: You didn't roll for me and IC goes Internal server error on me Please roll if you can. At least Arcana and Perception (those are applicable now)

    Matelai is oblivious to the sound from the docks, but he is eager to start the investigation. He looks over the contract and, if nothing seems untoward, signs it.

    OOC: would Streetwise help with the contract? To find hidden catches as would be common in street dealings. Not that I expect something, just cautious.

  • #59
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Atriden's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    469
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Atriden
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBaNa
    Veruzak suddenly looks, as if he could see through the wall, toward the docks. He glances around the room to see if anyone else had heard the disturbance.

    Then he gazes at the floor, as if trying to stare through it as well... His head snaps back up, glaring at Elder Frin...
    Atlas' looks curiously at Veruzak as his gaze goes through room. he gets the feeling that the wizards perhaps has seen something but does not disrupt him further with the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBaNa
    Did no one else hear that scream from the docks? The question is asked as if the answer was already given. Veruzak maintains his stance, hands folded within his robes, hood up, he didn't seem to be making an effort to familiarize the Elders with himself.
    Atlas' stone eyebrows narrow slightly as he hears this " What did this individual shout, did you hear it? And are you sure it was not a call of distress? "
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Malenkirk
    -''Who hasn't? But he doesn't sound like he's dying so it can wait until we sign the contracts and get our badges, or whatever it is guards get in this town.'' Kendrick says eagerly.
    Atlas looks at Kendrick while crossing his arms " I will wager any life higher than formalities " and the statue grins " Besides, I thought you were keen for some action "

    If Kendrick and Veruzak still think there is no danger to it, Atlas takes the forms and looks them over, signs them, if there is nothing suspicious about the forms that is. He returns them covered with bloodstains, unfortunately his hands got bloodied while he ate his steak but does not foresee it to be a a problem, the contract is signed anyway.
    Mal Malenkirk

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Malenkirk
    Kendrick stares evilly as Atlas startles his waiter and some of his milk splashes away. He wasn't one to cry over spilt milk... But fight over it, yes!

    Calm down. He didn't mean to do it, he didn't mean to do it... But damn it, it's my milk! He wouldn't be so careless with his steak! Arg! Come on, Breath in, breath out, he's an ally, remember he's an ally...
    Ha ha, that was hilarious!

    Stringbean2142

    Just in case, I will roll my heal check now to examine the corpses, since you all are on the wrong side of the globe . I am on central European time so all of you post during my nighttime and vice versa.
    The examination: Il check for signs of bite-marks. Are there any unusual discolourations on the body, specifically the eyes or the tongue. Does the head suffer from any blows? Are there any defensive wounds not made by humans? Has the body changed in any degree, such as muscle improvement or the like. (hope that's not too detailed )
    Got +5 for the heal check, IC is down at the moment, please roll me a crit. !

  • #60
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Stringbean2142's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    139
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Stringbean2142
    OOC
    Full post later, need to get to work, but wanted to answer some of the looming questions. The contracts are clean, I promise; this is an investigation adventure, but even I shy away from getting lawyers involved in games...

    Neurotic
    Sorry, I thought you were just detailing out what you could do later on, not asking for rolls. IC finally dropped for meas well, so falling back on my handy d20 here, you got a 10 Perseption, which doesn't give you anything more than the usual, and a 22 Arcana. Yurian has a magical item on him of unknown power, but what exactly the item is you can't tell thanks to lingering energies of the ritual. STreetwise won't make a difference with the contract, it seems straight forward enough.

    Bell
    18 Insight, 7 Perception. Perception defaultys back to your passive, so nothing there. With Insight, you realize no one answered about the halfling, yet both Yurian and Igliens seemed to have a twitch when he was mentioned.

    Veruzak
    No idea how far it is. It's not an issue, but I'll figure it out and get a rough estimate for you later.

    Atlas
    Detailed is good! But I'm holding off on the rolls because there's a pretty good chance that's not going to be your first stop.

    *cue diabolical DM laughter*

    The party sees Elder Igliens mouth, IAC?, when Veruzak mentions it, but no more is said about that.

    "Shout? Yurrian turns his head to the side, and after a moment you all can hear more shouts, mingled with laughter. "Ahh, probably just the boys playing around. Nothing to worry about, I'd say..." Still, he moves to a window to listen out while the contracts are perused.

    Nothing seems out of place in the contracts at a glance, but at three pages reading through everything will take a few minutes.
    Current Characters
    Mesa, Razorclaw Shifter Druid 2

    Current Games as DM
    Enemy Among Us - L4W

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] The Broken Tower DM:Grimmjow Judge:TwoHeadsBarking
      By Grimmjow in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 151
      Last Post: Friday, 5th April, 2013, 01:37 AM
    2. Replies: 807
      Last Post: Saturday, 28th May, 2011, 07:02 AM
    3. Until First Light (DM: TwoHeadsBarking. Judge: renau1g)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 291
      Last Post: Wednesday, 1st September, 2010, 04:27 PM
    4. Adv: A Night at the Opera; Judge TwoHeadsBarking
      By ScorpiusRisk in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 846
      Last Post: Friday, 9th April, 2010, 05:06 PM
    5. Replies: 1086
      Last Post: Friday, 19th February, 2010, 03:41 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •