Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking) - Page 7




  1. #61
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ScorpiusRisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roslindale MA 02131
    Posts
    2,499

    Ignore ScorpiusRisk
    At first Bell questions the idea of shouts, having noticed nothing herself. She stares, almost longingly at Veruzak, desperate for a piece of his knowledge that seems to have failed her now.

    As the shouts continue and can be heard by even herself now the exciting pull of adventure pulls her even further than the desire to write everything down. She closes her book and jumps form her chair.

    "I agree!" She shouts smiling and rushing her way out suddenly remembering she wasn't working alone. She turns around quickly points at Atlas, "I call the big guy.", and heads outside.

    If she can see the source of shouts she observes from there, at least for a moment, otherwise she follows the sound.
    Current Work: http://stuffershack.com/tag/brian-liberge/

 

  • #62
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Atriden's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    469

    Ignore Atriden
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpiusRisk
    "I agree!" She shouts smiling and rushing her way out suddenly remembering she wasn't working alone. She turns around quickly points at Atlas, "I call the big guy.", and heads outside.
    "Very well " after signing the contract, Atlas moves to join Bell " We will be back shortly, unless you all join us now that is. Lead onwards young one "
    Last edited by Atriden; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 04:17 PM.

  • #63
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ScorpiusRisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roslindale MA 02131
    Posts
    2,499

    Ignore ScorpiusRisk
    ooc
    I realized on the way to work today that having the party split and not splitting the leaders may not be the best decision. However, Bell has a negative wisdom modifier and Atlas looks like he would have a very different set of skills than her, just based on appearance.

    I apologize for not meta-gaming.
    Current Work: http://stuffershack.com/tag/brian-liberge/

  • #64
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Atriden's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    469

    Ignore Atriden
    OOC

    Don't worry about it ScorpiusRisk, if something happens we won't be far. If something does happen, we are well within shouting distance and the others could be there in no time.

  • #65
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    roadtoad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    394

    Ignore roadtoad
    ooc

    Sorry for the delay. Been swamped at school & work lately. Hopefully it doesn't keep up, but if it does, you can assume Catein is quietly following along, watching for trouble.


    Catein, who has been standing disturbingly still this entire time, only moving its head to face whichever councilmember was speaking, finally shows some signs of animation. It approaches Elder Frin and says, "I will sign the paper." Taking a quill in its hand, Catein pauses for a moment.

    "But first, a question: Elder Igliens, sir, might I inquire as to why the mention of this skulking halfling makes you nervous? No, sir, I know... you said nothing of it. I am highly trained in divining the thoughts of men. I detected a micro-expression crossing your face for only a fraction of a second. I apologize if I pry too much, but as you can see, it is a credit to your Yurian that he hired me for this investigation, for my skills will be of much use to this council. However, I am not the subject of interest at this time, so I will not endeavor to change the subject. So, tell me, sir, how does this halfling
    factor in? I will sign on when I know the truth of this matter."
    Currently running a 4e Zeitgeist campaign, "The Bosum Strand Irregulars."
    Follow the action here and/or here.

  • #66
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    3,834

    Ignore Mal Malenkirk
    Kendrick happily moves to the front of the line as Bell and Atlas rush to see the source of the shouts, quickly signs the contracts and grab his badge. Less than a minute later he is on his Atlas and Bell's trail, ready to investigate the source of the screams.

    -''Guys, wait! We can't have just any strangers harassing honest citizens. You will need the authority of an official guard of Haurton to conduct this investigation!'' he shouts, waving his badge.

  • #67
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    CaBaNa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,064

    Ignore CaBaNa
    *Damn that youthful exuberance! I'd rather had Catein go, and Bell stay... None-the-less. Ah what foresight in that young Kendrick, not just signing, but taking proof.* the thoughts hovered at the surface of Veruzak's mind, while more important wheels turned below.

    In a leisurely script, the eladrin places his mark upon the X, it does not say his name, instead a symbol lay drying on parchment.

    If that is all... each word sloughs off eladrin lips, and rolls like fog before stagnating in the air.

    *It's been nigh on an hour since my last pipe... these people live at a fey pace...* the thought makes Veruzak roll his eyes, thankfully they are hidden behind the hood. The short glance he shoots Martelai afterward, more as an afterthought, sparked new thoughts. *He is different than that girl, they both aren't human, but they aren't both eladrin either... I'll delve into it later, when Martelai speaks with me in private. He has an unmistakable air of feywild about him, but something else I can't place...* Not knowing stoked fires that burned within the eladrin, fires first started in his shadar-kai mothers home, then stoked to a blaze during his training in the shadow realm. He felt vigorous, excited, feelings he hadn't felt since before his wrongful imprisonment.


    OOC


    no worries about not meta-gaming, I couldn't see Bell doing otherwise. I like when people go with the character! Even if it hurts a bit.

    Big pat on the back to everyone, I've thoroughly enjoyed the RP. Each character brings a good amount to the table.




    Last edited by CaBaNa; Wednesday, 16th September, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
    MAGIC!

  • #68
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Stringbean2142's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    139

    Ignore Stringbean2142
    OOC
    Not to worry, Bell, you're likely not going far. You sprang the encounter early, which means you might save more people than I originally planned. For instance, you've already gotten one person inside just by being a distraction. Also, they're not as close as I expected them to be when the fight started, so let those ranged powers fly!

    And let me second the comment by CaBaNa; there has been some great rp going on so far here. Trust me, your DM has seen it and is very, very pleased...

    Outside

    As Bell pushes open the door, the approaching shouts and laughs turn to screams, and a loud crash. Outside, she can see why.

    Marching down the street is a group of five men. At the lead is a tall man with a handlebar mustache and armor similiar to Yurian's. He holds his sword high in the air, blood dripping from it. Bell could see a man dead or dying in the street, a pool of blood forming around him.

    Near him, one of two men wielding clubs is bashing a woman. She tried to hold her arms up to ward off the attacks, and both were surely broken by now. She is mere feet away from the safety of a door. Another man with a club is rummaging through the crashed remnants of a cart; the horses for the cart are nowhere in sight.

    A gasp beside Bell draws her attention; Yurian had joined Atlas in following her out, and now stood just to the right of her. "Merciful gods, that's Rayn..." Soft as the gasp and comment are, the men hear it and their attention turns to Yurian and Bell. The two remaining men, archers, take aim as one and fire. The first, an arrow from the bow of an elven archer, slams into Yurian and drives him back into the tavern. The other, a bolt from a crossbow, whisks past Bell's ear; she can hear the whistle of its passing.

    The elven archer moves around the corner of a nearby building and is lost from view, while the other crouches behind the upturned cart and reaches for another bolt to reload. In the confusion of the initial moments, the woman scrambles into the building behind her and slams the door, leaving a trail of blood in the street. Her attacker begins to pound on the door in pursuit of her, and fresh screams ring out. Many of the screams sound like children, and Bell and Atlas both remember that was the building Yurian's wife had been leading her charges to earlier.

    The other clubwielder and Rayn both begin advancing on the tavern, their eyes curiously empty of emotion...

    Inside

    At Catein's question, Elder Igliens flushes slightly. "Well, I... I just..." He searches deperately for an answer, floundering under the weight of the warforged's eyes.

    Kendrick signs, but doesn't make the door before the trouble outside reaches critical mass. An arrow slams into Yurian, knocking him back into the tavern and down. "Rayn...?'

    Elder Frin, surpisingly agile for his age, moves to help Yurian. "Go!" he says. "Stop this madness, please!" His hand glows as he touches Yurian, and the party sees that it is a type of healing magic at work here.

    Map Explanation
    The first thing you'll notice from the map is that it's very gray, except for in a few places. Because colors hate me and I them, I avoid them in the flavor and just use them to highlight important things, such as effects and bad guys. It's not exactly pretty, but it's functional.

    Initially, there are five baddies, all behind the cart. But because someone in the party must have bad-mouthed the dice gods, they've decided to let the baddies go first. One, an archer, disappeared behind the far building (a stable with attached leatherworks), while the others took up positions where they are now. The civilian dead or dying is the body in F4. The overturned cart makes E8 and F9 difficult terrain, marked by red dots. It also grants cover to anyone crouched behind it at D8 and E7, E9 and F8. The cover is only one way, so if you're shot in the back it doesn't apply.

    In addition, there's a pile of hay in the square C6-D7, making those squares difficult terrain. For the buildings, the darker the roof the higher they are. Black squares are those no one in the party can see at the moment; as you move into the field, I'll pull those back.

    Your characters have no picture because your addle-minded DM forgot to ask for them. If you have a picture you want me to use in combat, send it to [byers2142 @ hotmail.com] and I'll make a token for you. For now, your the black tokens with the first letter of your first name. There are windows next to Catein that you can see out; they provide cover if you choose to use them as a firing position from inside the tavern, but also have a limited line of effect.

    Bell is out there all alone right now (wonderful youthful energy!), and Catein is furthest from the door, talking to Igliens. I put Veruzak beside him because I thought it was funny; in most encounters, you'll have more of a chance to influence where you start, but Bell sprung the trap early leaving me to slot you in as I could.


    Map


    Status
    Initiative Order Rolls. Apparently, IC hates you all...
    Bad Guys 22
    Atlus 19
    Veruzak 11
    Martelai 11
    Catein 5
    Bell 3
    Kendrick 2

    Archer attack against Bell. IC died again, so by hand. 13 versus AC misses.

    Archers (BLUE)
    AC 15, Fort 11, Reflex 13, Will 12
    HP 32, Speed 7
    OA Simple Punch
    +3 versus AC, 1d4+2 damage

    Scouts (YELLOW)
    AC 15, Fort 11, Reflex 14, Will 13
    HP 27, Speed 6
    OA Club
    +6 versus AC, 1d8+2 damage

    Lt. Rayn (RED)
    AC 18, Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 14
    HP 47, Speed 5
    OA Bastard Sword
    +10 versus AC, 1d10+5 damage

    Everyone, you're up! Remember, your order is the order you post in, not necessarily the order of the initiative scores. Whoever posts first, goes first to keep things moving.
    Current Characters
    Mesa, Razorclaw Shifter Druid 2

    Current Games as DM
    Enemy Among Us - L4W

  • #69
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    CaBaNa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,064

    Ignore CaBaNa
    Veruzak, with almost mystical speed, strides from the tavern, and into casting distance of his enemies. Pulling out a deep orchid colored orb while he moves, the eladrin takes a battle position, Good initiative Bell, now bring the follow through.

    Slithering into his enemies minds, he begins blocking the mental passages allowing for freedom of movement, and fills his enemies with a compulsion to lay down, and die.

    As he occupies the mental facilities of each, Veruzak roots for clues as to what the sparks are, and who "she" is...

    Simultaneously launching a physical assault along with the mental, the air around his enemies explodes, the area becoming a small inferno for a short period of time.

    During the motion his hood has dropped, revealing pulsing glowing runic tattoos. The purple ink, highlighted cruel magenta orbs, Veruzak's eyes narrowed. A demonic smile spread across the sadistic wizards face, his consciousness, holding his enemies physically, control, sweet control! Ah it had been years since he had last directly exerted his will over a living opponent.

    A fit of laughter erupts as Veruzak gets lost in revelry at practicing again, Ya HA hee hee EEE Ha HA Ya, *cough* *COUGH* *HACK* *cough* The laughing ends abruptly as abused lungs punish excess mirth.


    OOC


    Move, out of tavern, into a position to get the fewest penalties to attack, and be within 10 of F9.

    Minor draw Orb

    Standard Horrid whispers, enlarged, area burst 2 centered on F9, (IC is down) Attack: +5 vs. Will Hit: 1d6+3 (enlarged) psychic damage and the target is slowed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
    (Aftereffect) target saves vs -2 and slowed, I knock the target prone.
    Miss: The target is slowed and takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.
    (If this hits Rayn, Veruzak will use Orb of Imposition to give him -2 to saves vs slowed and -2 penalty attack rolls, If this does not hit Rayn, Veruzak will use Orb of Imposition on a melee enemy that is hit)


    AP Scorching burst, enlarged, area burst 2 centered on F9, Attack: +5 vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6+3 (enlarged) fire damage
    Last edited by CaBaNa; Thursday, 17th September, 2009 at 03:03 AM.
    MAGIC!

  • #70
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ScorpiusRisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roslindale MA 02131
    Posts
    2,499

    Ignore ScorpiusRisk
    Bell's smile stretches across her face as she realizes that she's in a fight and then realizes that she's in a fight that has to do with the mystery. How convenient!

    Thinking of the screams and the woman who just got away, Bell quickly moves to the corner of a nearby building, making sure that the others would have a clear path to charge through and then directed her mind at the brute who assailed them.

    "You cantankerous green eared willy-willow!" The words swirled through the air, hitting precise pitches and getting tangled with the natural streams of arcane energy, pushing at the man's man and drawing him closer to Bell.

    She tried to watch Veruzak as he came out but ended up seeing the results of his magic regardless.

    ooc
    Move action to C16.
    Standard Action: Cutting Words vs the clubman in H7. +3 vs Will. 1d8+3 psychic damage and I pull the target to G9.

    Current Work: http://stuffershack.com/tag/brian-liberge/

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Adventure] The Broken Tower DM:Grimmjow Judge:TwoHeadsBarking
      By Grimmjow in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 151
      Last Post: Friday, 5th April, 2013, 12:37 AM
    2. Replies: 807
      Last Post: Saturday, 28th May, 2011, 06:02 AM
    3. Until First Light (DM: TwoHeadsBarking. Judge: renau1g)
      By TwoHeadsBarking in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 291
      Last Post: Wednesday, 1st September, 2010, 03:27 PM
    4. Adv: A Night at the Opera; Judge TwoHeadsBarking
      By ScorpiusRisk in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 846
      Last Post: Friday, 9th April, 2010, 04:06 PM
    5. Replies: 1086
      Last Post: Friday, 19th February, 2010, 02:41 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •