What to do when the character's ability scores exceeds the limit?
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What to do when the character's ability scores exceeds the limit?

Hello all!

What do you do when your character is a Mike Tyson with the intelligence as Hannibal and charisma as Kasparov, whilst the ability method is point-buy of 32 points? That's were I am now; My character is a native from Chult whose size equals a pro-boxer - lacking a neck, of course. He is extremely intelligent, and a master of psychology and the body language. Have you ever seen Garry Kasparov playing a game of chess? He psychs his opponents by looking at them with a half-opened mouth. My character does that while in combat to gain advantage. When he has it, he slashes the enemy in pieces in a fierceful rage with his two knives!

These stats fits my picture of him:

STR 16
    DEX 14
    CON 16
    INT 16
    WIS 10
    CHA 15

But that's rather high - especially using 32 points.

Any ideas? By what you know, do you think I could lower any stats but still fulfill my demands?

Thanks in advance!

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block reveal

Friend+
    Um... Your stats are not right for the 32-point buy method. Even if you're not human, they're extremely high. If you are human, the only way you can get the stats listed is with 46 points.

Originally posted by reveal
    Um... Your stats are not right for the 32-point buy method. Even if you're not human, they're extremely high. If you are human, the only way you can get the stats listed is with 46 points.
    I know, that's the point.
    Re-read my post and you'll see.

What to do? Rethink your character concept. Or just accept that if you want a character with no low scores, he/she won't have any high scores either.

Sometimes your vision must be compromised because of the tyranny of game mechanics

Originally posted by Left-handed Hummingbird
    What to do? Rethink your character concept. Or just accept that if you want a character with no low scores, he/she won't have any high scores either.
    I did that for my character in the same campaign

He used to have stats like this:
    Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 8
    Int 18
    Wis 8
    Cha 12

But he is very weak even after the mod, like this.:

Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 8
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Cha 14

So, if I can higher my score for a gnome diviner then you can lower your score for a brute

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Zappo

Friend+
    My communities:

HI, Decamber! I dunno why, but all your threads regularly interest me.

First of all - is this a 1st level character? If not, which level is he? I ask this because of the stat increases at 4th, 8th and so.

Since you are using two knives, I think Ambidexterity should be one of the feats you are going to get, but for this you are going to need a 15 DEX. A 15 costs 2 points more than a 14, and doesn't even really fit the character concept much, so you could just buy the last point at 4th. With a fighter, you would also get your free feat - Ambidexterity.

I would lower Charisma. The character as you describe him doesn't seem an all-round charismatic type; his force is somewhat specialized. For this reason, I'd lower CHA to 12 and max out Intimidate/Bluff.

This leaves us with 20 points for the other four stats. Pretty much impossible. I can understand it - an extremely intelligent and charismatic pro-boxer that is dextrous enough to use two weapons effectively would be the target of envy even IRL.

My suggestion is to drop the dual-wielding thing and place a 10 in DEX. At this point we have 24 points for STR, CON and INT. My suggestion is 16 STR, 14 CON and 15 INT.

Hi Zappo,
    It's a first level character. It seems that you have catched my concept pretty well! I think I'll do as you wrote - that match my picture of the character. Thank you!

Originally posted by Zappo
    HI, Decamber! I dunno why, but all your threads regularly interest me.
    Hehe, actually I've though the same about you, but replies. I like your replies quite in general, except to my threads! You're going to my buddy list, pal!

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Frostmarrow

Friend+
    One option could be to create a template with boni to the stats. Weigh the value of the stat increases against the half-celestial and half-fiendish templates. From there figure out what level the character is supposed to start at. You know a half-celestial human with one fighter level is effectively a 4th level character.

Decamber if DM and your co-players have nothing against it then SCREW THE RULES! Roleplaying is about having fun, not rules!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply