What to do when the character's ability scores exceeds the limit?

Decamber

First Post
Hello all!

What do you do when your character is a Mike Tyson with the intelligence as Hannibal and charisma as Kasparov, whilst the ability method is point-buy of 32 points? That's were I am now; My character is a native from Chult whose size equals a pro-boxer - lacking a neck, of course. ;) He is extremely intelligent, and a master of psychology and the body language. Have you ever seen Garry Kasparov playing a game of chess? He psychs his opponents by looking at them with a half-opened mouth. My character does that while in combat to gain advantage. When he has it, he slashes the enemy in pieces in a fierceful rage with his two knives!

These stats fits my picture of him:

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 15

But that's rather high - especially using 32 points. ;)

Any ideas? By what you know, do you think I could lower any stats but still fulfill my demands?

Thanks in advance!

reveal

Adventurer
Um... Your stats are not right for the 32-point buy method. Even if you're not human, they're extremely high. If you are human, the only way you can get the stats listed is with 46 points.

Decamber

First Post
reveal said:
Um... Your stats are not right for the 32-point buy method. Even if you're not human, they're extremely high. If you are human, the only way you can get the stats listed is with 46 points.

I know, that's the point. :D
Re-read my post and you'll see. :p

Psionicist

Explorer
Left-handed Hummingbird said:
What to do? Rethink your character concept. Or just accept that if you want a character with no low scores, he/she won't have any high scores either.

I did that for my character in the same campaign

He used to have stats like this:
Str 8
Dex 8
Con 8
Int 18
Wis 8
Cha 12

But he is very weak even after the mod, like this.:

Str 8
Dex 8
Con 8
Int 18
Wis 16
Cha 14

So, if I can higher my score for a gnome diviner then you can lower your score for a brute :)

Zappo

Explorer
HI, Decamber! I dunno why, but all your threads regularly interest me.

First of all - is this a 1st level character? If not, which level is he? I ask this because of the stat increases at 4th, 8th and so.

Since you are using two knives, I think Ambidexterity should be one of the feats you are going to get, but for this you are going to need a 15 DEX. A 15 costs 2 points more than a 14, and doesn't even really fit the character concept much, so you could just buy the last point at 4th. With a fighter, you would also get your free feat - Ambidexterity.

I would lower Charisma. The character as you describe him doesn't seem an all-round charismatic type; his force is somewhat specialized. For this reason, I'd lower CHA to 12 and max out Intimidate/Bluff.

This leaves us with 20 points for the other four stats. Pretty much impossible. I can understand it - an extremely intelligent and charismatic pro-boxer that is dextrous enough to use two weapons effectively would be the target of envy even IRL.

My suggestion is to drop the dual-wielding thing and place a 10 in DEX. At this point we have 24 points for STR, CON and INT. My suggestion is 16 STR, 14 CON and 15 INT.

Decamber

First Post
Hi Zappo,
It's a first level character. It seems that you have catched my concept pretty well! I think I'll do as you wrote - that match my picture of the character. Thank you!

Zappo said:
HI, Decamber! I dunno why, but all your threads regularly interest me.

Hehe, actually I've though the same about you, but replies. I like your replies quite in general, except to my threads! :) You're going to my buddy list, pal! ;)

Frostmarrow

First Post
One option could be to create a template with boni to the stats. Weigh the value of the stat increases against the half-celestial and half-fiendish templates. From there figure out what level the character is supposed to start at. You know a half-celestial human with one fighter level is effectively a 4th level character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases