DMG 2: Achievements like Xbox-Live in D&D

Citan

First Post
The new DMG 2 has a sidebar presenting the idea of adding achievements like the ones found in many computer games or platforms like x-box live or Playstation Network into D&D.

I'm quite intrigued by the idea, although I'm not sure how to incorporate these things into actual play. The DMG lists metagame achievements like "most damage dealt", "most failed saving throws", etc.
Other possibilities may involve achievements tied to the campaign world or the plot (such as killing a main villain or discovering a lost religion).

How would you reward players for gaining achievements? Is gaining the achievement rewarding enough? Maybe it could be accompanied by one-shot effects like a boost to damage or a single-use power.

Alex319

First Post
Well, it'll certainly give the "4e is too much like a video game" crowd plenty of ammunition... :]

(But I haven't seen PHB2 yet, so I can't give any other suggestions, but I'm planning on getting it as soon as possible...)

noodle fish mice

First Post
As cheesy as that is, I kind of love it. I know at least one of my players would revel in collecting them even if they had no in-play benefit... I have no idea about the others.

At the very least, I would have fun coming up with silly names for the achievements.

King Nate

First Post
You could always assign RPGA-like Player Rewards benefits to the achievements.

Here's some examples...

Giant Killer Achievement
If you slay a creature at least two sizes larger than yourself you unlock this Achievement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) when you encounter any creature at least two sizes larger than yourself, you can gain 1 action point.

Dragon Slayer Achievement
If you slay a dragon you unlock this Achievement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) when you enoucounter a dragon, you gain 1 action point and +4 bonus to initiative.

Fearsome Gaze Achievement
If you successfully make an opponent surrender by using the intimidate skill during combat you unlock this achievvement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) you can gain either a +2 fear bonus to your next Intimidate skill check (until the end of your turn) or you can attempt another Intimidate check on a target you failed to Intimidate during combat.

Opportunist
If you successfully hit 10 enemies with Opportunity Attacks during one level you unlock this achievement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) you can use the Rogue's Sneak Attack class feature.

Feign Surprise
If you are first to act during 10 initiatives during one level you unlock this acheivement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) you can act during a surprise round in which you are surprised.

Twist the Blade
If you make 10 Critical Sneak Attacks you unlock this acheivement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) you can deal maximum damage with your sneak attack. You may do this after dice have been rolled. You may also spend an action point to roll an additional sneak attack damage.

Cheat Death
If you failed two death saves and succeed with the third you unlock this acheivement.
Benefit: Once per Gaming Night (Adventure) you can roll two dice taking the better result for all death saves until end of the encounter you use this acheivement.

Or instead of giving benefits like this you can also hand out points per achievement. Players can use these points for whatever you come up with or they can be bonus experience points.

Last edited:

Citan

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions King Nate :) I'll try to find some more.

I like the idea of achievements cause they do not alter game play dramatically. I can even remember times when we used to record the highest damage or the number of critical failures and made some kind of high score list within our gaming group.

Many people like achievements in video games and as they don't hinder roleplaying in D&D 4th edition, I'm looking forward to implement them in my upcoming campaign.

Flipguarder

First Post
I love the whole "you get an action point" Personally I would like to see some that include rolling a natural 20 with an attack roll on the same type of creature three times in one fight.

Pale Jackal

First Post
Not a big fan of "Achievements" in video games, but a lot of people do like them.

Discovered a Lost Religion
I kind of dig this achievement. Maybe because, if the players know about what they can achieve, they'll go out of their way for something like this. It allows history/backstory see the light of day, even if it's not strictly plot relevant. It's kind of like Goals or Beliefs or what-have-you, but DM-created. However, it's up to the players whether or not they want to explore that tangent. I realize that this can already be accomplished by the DM introducing a plot hook, but it's simultaneously subtler (you don't need to interrupt the flow of the game to introduce relevant information) and more obvious (duh.) It also gives the PCs more control over when they want to initiate exploring the plot hook, especially since a minor plot hook might be ignored early on, and become interesting to the PCs later... but the PCs might have forgotten, and you might not know they'd be interested now.

Somewhat interesting, not sure if I'd actually use it, though.

As for rewards? I know one player has joked about wanting the Level 6 Cleric Utility: Holy Lantern. I could see tying permanent rewards to a significant achievement if you wanted to add a significant incentive. Maybe something like the aforementioned Holy Lantern, or other Powers which increase options but not necessarily power. (Increasing options is going to increase power, but hopefully in an insignificant fashion.)

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
Paizo toyed around with this in their Legacy of Fire AP, I believe. Achievements would be known to the players, and they'd try to work towards their completion, at which point I believe they then qualified for the achievement feat (which they still had to pick up as you normally would a feat).

yagyuninja

First Post
I've been doing this for a while now, as a way to get my players to try things outside their comfort zone, or to do things they didn't know they could do. For some of them its a big motivator, and some of them don't care. I've just been giving experience for completion. The special boon things are cool, but I'm worried about people having too much stuff to remember (they already do!). Maybe if I made achievement "sets" which, when all sub-achievements are completed, would grant the character an AP boon or something.

I got this list off of the rpg reddit some months back, added some of my own, and subtracted a few. (the amount in brackets is experience gained)

Martial (Heroic Tier)
Kill a foe over 10 squares away. [50]
Kill a foe in a surprise round. [50]
Kill a foe with a single blow (not a minion). [50]
Gain combat advantage by feinting (Bluff). [100]

Divine (Heroic Tier)
Heal a dying ally. [100]
Kill two undead with a single attack. [50]

Arcane (Heroic Tier)
Kill four foes with a burst spell. [50]
Kill a foe by targeting his weakest defense. [50]

Any (Heroic Tier)
Discover a secret door. [75]
Disable a trap. [75]
Kill a foe with a critical hit. [50]
Kill a foe with an attack made by using an action point. [50]
Use a knowledge skill to determine a enemy's powers. [75]
Use Acrobatics to perform a stunt or reduce falling damage. [75]
Use Athletics to Climb a cliff, Jump a pit, or Jump up to a ledge. [75]
Use Intimidate to force a bloodied target to surrender. [50]
Make an attack from hiding. [75]
Learn a dirty secret about a NPC and use it against them (Streetwise). [75]
Use something in your adventurers kit during an encounter. [100]
Push an enemy into something damaging. [75]
Delay your action to set up combat advantage. [75]
Kill an enemy by using a stunt. [100]

Party (Heroic Tier)
Achieve two milestones in a single "day" (without taking a long rest). [100]
Kill a monster 5 levels above the average party level. [50]
Successfully complete a skill challenge. [50]
Defeat a foe without using violence (trickery, diplomacy, etc.). [100]
Complete an encounter without using any At-Will powers. [100]

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread on reddit.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases