Path of Enlightenment: Chapter 2

Voda Vosa

First Post
Scenes from last night:
The warriors of Singing Spring enjoy with the wine, laugh, rejoice, smile, eat and celebrate. The feast is not something exuberant, at least in Wang and Ban Lu's eyes, since they have witnessed huge banquets. But the love with which all that was prepared was evident.
The baker's daughter didn't leave Leng's side not even for a second, hearing all what he had to say, especially interested when the lad spoke about his prowess in battle. Leng had so much food in front of him he didn't know where to start!
Ziang in his continued search for knowledge engaged a conversation with the elder fireworks artisan, who gave him several formulas. Ziang was not sure if they would come handy someday, he'll have to study them focused.
Kaoru found himself surrounded by friendly and caring people, something that had been denied to him since the very moment he leave the school in the rush to help his comrades. He felt happy and complete, although the mission ahead was like a coming storm.
Koryo found out that the old captain was actually, a retired imperial general, one he had been under direct command. Both men exchanged stories of the past, and feel connected somehow, in that odd set of causalities that led them back together. He also sheared wine with the younger captain of the merchant ship, with whom he fought, back to back.
Wang's troubled mind relaxed a bit, his straight forward mentality of soldier had served him well in the last few days, but now it was playing a dirty trick. His mind was full of unsolved questions, and so he decided that there was no person more appropriate to discuss the matter than with the monk Ban Lu. The half-drunk monk listen him carefully and gave him a few advices. Shaking off the images that his mind went over and over, he managed to spend the best evening in what seemed centuries.
Ban Lu's skill as drinker became a town's legend. He drank so much wine he ended up completely unconscious over the table, his hand still holding his glass. He managed to make some socials anyhow. The priest heard Wang's problems and doubts and efficiently made him happy with a few words of wisdom.
After all has settled down, and the villagers went to their homes, the heroes stayed awake, sharing stories of their past, getting to really know each other.
Master Jiem exposed his thoughts to the warriors:
If the empire was to be saved from the evil creatures that now inhabited the royal palace, the first step was to get to the continent unnoticed, and search for information about these creatures of darkness. He didn’t know where to start, but sensed there was someone still alive that might have a clue. Other than that, he was as clueless as you, he just counted with his memory about the geography of the land.
After some more conversation and a little coups of wine, they all went to sleep, and had pleasant dreams.

The next morning, everything started early. When the first rays of the rising sun bathed the peaceful shores of the island, the workers were already working.
Both captains had agree that traveling inland with two ships would be a foolish mistake. Instead, they proposed to remodel the old general’s ship, make it quicker and stronger. It won’t be easy, but it was necessary, as Master Jien noted.
So, every villager woke up, two hours before the sunrise, to make the necessary arrangements for the construction of the new ship. Even the baker and his daughter were there, for Leng’s delight.
When our heroes got the beach, they witnessed Wu Fen beach crawling with activity, men coming and going from the town to the sandbeach, carrying sacks of provisions and building materials of diverse nature, tools, etc. Women also helped, making the sails and new uniforms for the new vessel!
From behind came Master Jien smiling at your amusement, and placed a hand on Shen’s shoulder. “The people of Singing Island want to help us even more. Come with me, lets see what we can do to help.”
The warriors follow Master Jien, down to the beach, greeting the villagers they came across.
On top of a few boxes and barking others, the young captain sees you approaching. He shows a white smile to you and jumps down to greet you. “My friends! We are on schedule. These peoples know what hard work is about, not like my lousy sailors! Ha ha” he laughs
From somewhere near, the voice of the older captain sounded loud and clears on the fresh morning’s air. “It seems we have fresh muscle here. There’s plenty of work to be done if we wish to have the ship on the water in about 5 days, so you better be willing to suede.” He stated.

There were many things to do around. A lot of things to carry around; people disorganized, unsolved problems with the building, missing materials…. Many things….
“Time to pick your poison lads” Master Jien said, dusted his hands, and headed to where the carpenter was tinkering with some planks.

OOC: Wel!! We’ll open this chapter two with some handwork!
We’ll make a roll per day for 5 days. You need to succeed at least 4 times per day to account a success. If you fail more than 3 times, you gain a failure.
If you get 3 successes, you win the skill encounter and receive a nice bonus. If not, then you’ll have nothing.

These are the tasks you can perform:

-Old Shin Ling: the eldest woman of the town was in charge of making the sails along with most of the town’s women, but she lost her glasses and no one can find them! Without them she can’t even see where is she stepping on to, how could she oversee the task?
Searching for Shin Ling’s Glasses: Perception DC: 20
One Time Skill

-Helping Wei Dan: the weapon master is busy forging the metal components for the ship, and needs a forge assistant. It’s a hard work, if you are thin and skinny, take a step aside.
Baer with Wei Dan’s tasks: Endurance DC: 25

-Oriental Chaos: Some short witted villagers are putting all their effort in this task, but they seem to be pulling and pushing at the same time. This chaotic working will lead no nothing at the end of the day, someone must organize these people.
Find a simple way: Insight DC: 25

-Dangerous old man: Fumi Sen, the elder fireworks artisan is trying to find out a new formula, to use it to propel projectiles from the ship. His tests often result in explosions of fire. Fortunately he remains unharmed, but he is dangerously near the wood plank piles. Someone must convince him to desist, or help him find his formula before he blows the entire island off the map.
Fire Works!: Diplomacy DC 20, or Knowledge Arcana DC 20
One Time Skill

-Treasures In the sea: The wrecked ships contain quite a lot of wood and valuables for the new vessel. If someone could go there and retrieve some wood or sailing apparels, it could speed up the building process.
Swimming, climbing, jumping: You need to swim to the ship, climb aboard, take what you need and jump back to the water; swimming to the coast will not be hard, pushed by the waves. Athletics: 25, 25, 15. You’ll need to take three rolls, if you win two, you’ll have accounted for two successes for that day.

-An eye on the sky: Keeping a good control over the weather situation for the next days will help schedule the activities more effectively, thus saving time.
Forecast: Knowledge Nature DC: 25

Walking Dad

First Post
Ziang fails at helping the fire worker to get his formula right...

[sblock=OOC]
Arcane (1d20+10=17) :mad:

Do you use original or errata difficulties of the Skill Challenge rules?

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Ziang Yu
Perception: 17 Insight: 14 Normal Vision
AC 18 Fortitude 15 Reflex 16 Will 14
Hit Points: 36 / 36 Bloodied: 18
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge: 9 Surges per day: 9 / 9
At-Will: Aggravating Force, Magic weapon, Static Shock
Encounter Powers: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula / Healing Infusion 2/2, Curative Admixture, Burning Weapons, Lightning Sphere
Daily Powers: Icebound Sigil, Restorative Infusion
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
After a few testing, the formula Ziang and the old man developed turned to be quite unstable. Another explosion shakes the beach, and everyone crouch slightly looking in the direction of the alchemists.
Black dust covers everything around them, they included.

OOC: I should have noted that you might reciebe a bonus for RP... I know the DC are high, but the tasks are difficult and the reward is considerable.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Knowing that strength of arms was not his forte, Koryo offered to help the elderly lady find her glasses. ""Hey Old Shin Ling! I'm going to find your glasses for you that way you won't be tripping over your own feet." the warrior calls out as he approaches the woman's home.

He begins looking in her house and is amazed at the collection of odds and ends contained within. "How could anyone find something with this much garbage around. It's times like these that I'm glad I choose to focus on a minimalist life" Koryo thinks to himself as he grumbles while looking for the spectacles.

[sblock=OOC]
IC is down again - can you please roll VV - Perception is +8
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
After searching among the clothes of old Shin, you touch something rigid in on of her shirts. Unwarpping the object reveals the pair of glasses.
"Oh my! I should have taken out the shirt and the glasses with it. I'm lucky I have my head sticked to my shoulders sonny, and I'm lucky to have you searching for these" she says, shaking the glasses, grabbing your cheeks, and patting your head. Of course you have to bow slightly for her to reach your head.

OOC: Seems to be down for me too. I'll roll with my dices if you agree: Roll: 12+10: 22 Success!
S: 1
F: 1

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Ban Lu

"Fumi Sen, your work is most impressive. That was quite a blast. However, all that smoke and noise is distracting the people from their important work on the ship. You really must hold off until the right formula can be found or at least move your operation to a secluded spot far from the work."

OOC: diplomacy (1d20+7=23)

Voda Vosa

First Post
The old man looks quizzical at the monk, as he explains the reasons why he must move to a safer place. Safer for the others of course.
"You are right master, in my hope to find the right formula, I didn't realize I was jeopardizing the people, my deeper apologies." Nodding silently, the old man takes his things, with a sad expression in his face, and leaves the beach.

S: 2
F: 1
For WD: You can chase the old man and still try helping him in the next round, although it wont count as a success or a failure for the skill encounter, so it will make you lose your roll for that round. There's a potential reward of course. A juicy one.

Scotley

Hero
Ban Lu

Seeing that the workers are often at cross purposes, Ban Lu wades in to try and get things organized. However, the well meaning, but disorganized workers prove to be too intractable.

OOC: Insight (1d20+10=14) Maybe I can get some help for another attempt?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Wang fails to pass through the strong waves. The salty water buffets his faces, and the ocean pushes the imperial soldier out of the water, tired and filled with marine water. A sailor passing by emitted a few laughs and helped him recover.

OOC: Wang got 1 out of 3 so it's another failure. Ban Lu's action for the round is complete. You might want to role play a bit and maybe get some bonuses from npcs. You can always aid another, but that's going to consume your chance to roll for that round.
S: 2
F: 2

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases