A weekend in the Abyss

Jack99

Adventurer
A weekend in the Abyss..

If you are my player, do not read any further ;)

Every year, my players and I leave for a weekend, to a cabin deep in the woods (okay, maybe not that far from civilization) and game our hearts out. Or rather, we play as much as our old bodies can handle. Which usually ends up being around 25-30 hours over the course of the weekend.

That weekend is coming closer (16th October-18th October) and only now do I know what will happen. There has been quite a few forks in the campaign lately, and I didn't want to prepare for something that wouldn't happen.

In order to make a ritual that will enable them to enter the memories and mind of a god, they need 3 things - aside from the two parts of the ritual, which they should have by then. The first thing they are told (by the ritual text) to get, is the heart of Grazz't.

Yeah..

That might be a tad rough for level 19 players, so I figured that they via some intel gathering could figure out that the heart of the Aspect of Grazz't would (probably) do.

I always try to make this weekend extra-special. The one two years ago had a horror-theme, and with the help of many posters from this board, I managed to scare the :):):):) out of my friends, who are usually quite blasé about things. Last year was so-so, mostly because I couldn't get the campaign timed right, so they were stuck inside H2 - it was great fun, but not *special*. So this year, I want to make the weekend's adventure extra-extra-special ;).

Overview
  • We are playing 4e D&D:
  • The group is level 20, aiming for them to ding 21 after completing their quest.
  • The plot should be completable in 25 hours
  • The goal is to get the heart of Grazz't, or rather the heart of the aspect of Grazz't (negotiable)).
  • Preferably the plot/adventure should take place in the Abyss.
  • The group consists of human fighter/cleric, a tiefling wizard/cleric, a elven cleric/ranger, a half-elf going on eladrin warlock/bard and a human rogue.

So basically, if you have any ideas for a plot, for an awesome encounter, a cool place to visit or an interesting NPC that they will remember for years to come, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Thinking about it, the Grazz't part is not needed at all. It should involve the aspect of one of the demon lords, so anyone will do really. Orcus, Grazz't or Demogorgon would all be fun I guess.

Mentat55

First Post
Try to work pod demons into the mix. They're super creepy and super awesome.

Also, working in the enmity between the various demon lords, perhaps even enlisting the aid of one demon lord's followers against another (to get the heart of an aspect) would be cool.

This scenario courtesy of the folks at Penny Arcade.

Jack99

Adventurer
Try to work pod demons into the mix. They're super creepy and super awesome.
Definitely. That was the first monster I pulled forth in the MM in order to tweak it.

Also, working in the enmity between the various demon lords, perhaps even enlisting the aid of one demon lord's followers against another (to get the heart of an aspect) would be cool.
I thought about it, but atm I am a bit meh on that idea. It feels like it's been done to death before.

This scenario courtesy of the folks at Penny Arcade.
Aye, had forgotten about that. Might actually be perfect for such a weekend.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Does it have to be a literal heart? More particularly does Grazz't still keep his heart in his chest? Sneaking around Grazz't's fortress hoping he doesn't get personally involved while you deal with guards could be fun, and if done right (extended skill challenge to keep the alarm down) could be tense and scary.

Jack99

Adventurer
Does it have to be a literal heart? More particularly does Grazz't still keep his heart in his chest? Sneaking around Grazz't's fortress hoping he doesn't get personally involved while you deal with guards could be fun, and if done right (extended skill challenge to keep the alarm down) could be tense and scary.

It doesn't have to be his literal heart, no.

Votan

Explorer
I thought about it, but atm I am a bit meh on that idea. It feels like it's been done to death before.

You could try a different angle on it -- maybe Orcus has a great idea for the heart of an aspect of Demogorgon. Moving directly wouldn't make sense (as he'd be detected) but ambushing some mortals who already harvested it might be fun. Could be a fuin chase scene . . .

LostSoul

Adventurer
Maybe all they need is the thing that Grazz't cares most for.

I guess the plot could work out that Grazz't trades his actual heart for that... that would be cool.

Remove ads