SUN AM: Welcome to the Orphic Institute! (A Penny For My Thoughts) [FULL]

Supplanter

First Post
Note: As of 10/1, this game is full.

Penny is Paul Tevis's new game of improvisation, collaborative storytelling and recovered memory. You and your fellow patients at the Orphic Institute have all suffered amnesia because of a traumatic incident in your past. Using the drug Mnemosyne you'll get glimpses into each others' memories. You will be able to help them recover theirs; they will be able to help you recover yours. Once you know who you were, you'll have the option of retaining your recovered identity or, if it is too painful, returning to blissful forgetfulness.

Penny uses a simple resource-based system (yes, pennies) to guide play. You get rewarded for providing clues to the other players and use your earnings to buy your own clues in turn. No pre-gen PCs are provided because, in a very real sense, the whole game of A Penny For My Thoughts is character-generation.

As you can probably tell from the forgoing, some people will find this game way too artsy-fartsy for their tastes. Others will really enjoy it. The Orphic Institute resources page may help you decide which best describes you.

Players:
1. QuinnHarlech
2. Mrs. Harlech
3. songsaboutrainbows
4. MissConnie

We'll run with the default dials, per the following quoted game text:

While Mnemosyne helps to break down the barriers between your mind and the minds of your fellow patients, it also weakens the barriers between the compartments of your mind. Memories, dreams, books, movies—all of these may mix together.To help you distinguish fact from fiction, we have prepared this guide to the world you live in. You may treat the following statements about the world as true:
• It is the early twenty-first century. Technology—cars, planes, com-puter networks, mobile phones, etc.—has not advanced beyond your hazy familiarity with it, nor has humanity been thrown into a new dark age.
• The world is a mundane place. Its wonders and terrors come from simple and personal things, like the birth of a child or the death of a loved one. Rest assured that you are not haunted by spirits, nor are you tormented by aliens.
• You are a normal, everyday person. This isn’t to say that you might not be a remarkable individual, but feats like leaping across rooftops or reading people’s minds are simply impossible. You are not an action hero, nor are you a Greek god.
• Your condition was caused by physiological or psychological trauma surrounding events in your personal life. It was not caused by a shadowy government conspiracy or similar organization.
We hope that this will aid you in recovering your identity.​

Last edited:

Supplanter

First Post
Okey dokey! That's three of four. Meanwhile, Mrs and Mr Harlech need to please reprise your award-winning HEX roles in Saturday's sequel to last spring's adventure.

Best,

Jim

Riggs

First Post
Hey there, just posting to say I am very interested in this as well. I'm in Rod's SoIaF2 game, but it's not full, so if anything falls through, I'd love to try out this game. It sounds interesting.

Riggs

First Post
I'd love to get in on this if Riggs ends up playing the other game.

Also, to clarify--is this AM or PM? It's listed as PM, but alongside all the AM games.

As far as I am concerned, a definite beats a possible, and I have every confidence the other game will fill, so please take the seat. I have no dibs, just thought this was a very cool game to try. I'll have to chat with some of you to see how it all went.

Hey there, just posting to say I am very interested in this as well. I'm in Rod's SoIaF2 game, but it's not full, so if anything falls through, I'd love to try out this game. It sounds interesting.

Don't you dare accuse me of being wabbitty. I assure you the SoIaF game will run.

Remove ads