D&D 4E 4e "Unearthed Arcana": House Rules & Build Options

fireinthedust

Explorer
4e hasn't gotten around to publishing an Unearthed Arcana, as in 3e, yet. Frankly, with the alternate option of Hybrid classes vs. Multiclassing, I think we'll see support for variant rules-uses in future PHBs and DMGs.

Anyway, I'm curious whether anyone is experimenting with alternate build options for 4e, or house rules, or campaign styles.

EXAMPLE:

1) I was thinking of a game where each player picks a Role: defender, Leader, etc. They can use any powers of a class with that role, simply filling the role being their only requirement.

or (my personal fave option)

2) Power Source: each player selects a power source: Martial, Divine, Arcane, Primal, etc. They can take any powers of any class with that power source.
Stats would be 18, 18, 18, 10, 10, 10, as MAD would be a big issue.

I don't know whether class powers would be gained all of them together or if they'd get one set and then have to buy others with feats.

or

3) Hybrids: everyone picks x number of classes to choose powers from. They get the above mix/match stats, and a bonus feat to be spent on Hybrid Talent.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think you will find in a 4e Unearthed Arcana - similar things that were in previous versions of UA, my two favorites and biggies
  1. Wound System (D&D has never simulated those and hit points are not wounds)
  2. Ways to Reuse Powers (used to be called a spell point system).

Tallifer

Hero
I hope that the optional stuff stays in third party publications and at people's tables: I do not want "options" in an official book which then translate into "should-haves" as seen by players and "must be banned stuff" as seen by dungeon masters. (Or "new rules" for dungeon masters and "horrible fun-killers" as seen by players.)

Nowadays, with everything core, I can join most 4th edition games with common assumptions. But with "official optional rules", I would need to ask a dozen questions about a game before joining.

Furthermore, if people want optional house rules, why can they not just make them themselves? Why muddy the official waters?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I certainly don't remember any of the UA stuff ever feeling like must haves or standard rules --- some few looked like damn scary untested material maybe ok by themselves but whoa put on the breaks if you used them in combo with one another :eek: --- others were minor house rules probably used by many people but without yanking on fundamental game mechanics --- some were not entirely but in my opinion mostly pointless tweaks of the core.

Some were certainly variants useful for changing the basic degree of cinematic / literary versus dark versus light or whatever style of stories supported by the game... - these I like the game needs to be less stylistically dogmatic.

Almost never do I remember gaming when peopled didn't house rule things so ummm the player who couldnt adapt to a little of that was umm few and far between at one time... have people forgotten how?

Some of the rules in UA were obviously more polished than the house rules many people hacked together... and could probably be just used directly as extensions of the game without blinking an eye.

Last edited:

I'm interested in 'finishing moves.' People complain about grind, where the end of combat is just wearing down your enemy's hit points, so I'd like to see a rule system where once the target is bloodied, you can easily inflict conditions, deal extra damage, or lop limbs off (without needing special powers to do it).

DarkMasterBR

First Post
I would really like to see a balanced system where races get no adjustmen to ability scores (or very little / very flexible), because I absolutely hate wanting to do a Dwarf Fighter / Cleric or a Human Something and knowing that I'm going to truly miss a +1 in the ability modifier. I tryed cooking something up but I'm not satisfied with anything so far.

Also, I really like the idea of "choose whatever power from your source you want". As a DM, I like giving my players weird powers a lot. When one of my players chose to spend 2100 gp for one year tuition at the White Lotus academy, he passed the learning skill challenge I did and ended up with the Warlock's Star Shacles (I think that's the name of it) power, and he's a Paladin! He thought it was very very cool and I like the idea of a divine champion with a few exotic tricks up his sleeve. The fighter who opted not to pay for the tuition regreted that choice a lot!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases