Valley of the Dead: Chapter 1 "A gathering of heroes"

jager0727

First Post
Sensalar observes the crowd in silence waiting to see if either those who caused the fight or the mage who wreaked so much confusion during it will attest to their actions before offering to bear witness of his own observations

ethandrew

First Post
Latham was about to respond to Ferviel, not about the cellar and dungeon, but about the Lich. Perhaps a little part of the enchanter felt some bit of respect toward this wretched priest, but that was quickly dashed once he seemingly remembered that he was in fact a priest, a major character flaw if there ever was one.

The stern rant from the podium changed his actions, however. With a slightly bemused look on his face, Latham watched the proceedings unfold, stifling a laugh at the veiled complaint about his spell the apologetic boy Keht bumped was now issuing. He stood toward the back, his hands in his pockets, absentmindedly fingering his spell components.

His thoughts wandered to some cavernous labyrinth, traveling through deadly passages, and ending in some plush and lavish room coming from nowhere, populated by a wizened Lich. Tapestries line the stone walls, volumes and volumes of books line the shelves as well as various trinkets of untold value. And then Latham standing over the charred body and smoking phylactery of its previous tenant. If only.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Merry blinks with confusion when she looks at the set of ghostly hands on the railing, then immediately grabs Jill's hand and drags her towards the road where they came from. Jill seems fixated on her doll, that now lies discarded at Thok's feet, but cannot struggle free from her sister's grasp. "Stop squirming Jill, leave that blasted rag doll!" Merry says with an agitated voice.

Meanwhile, Peth and Kye are left alone at the bridge, with puffs of white steam coming from their mouths as they breathe hard. A ghostly apparition appears before Thok, semi transparent and pure white, as if woven from mountain mists. It is the figure of a young woman, dressed in a long old fashioned dress, with lace on the sleeves and the edges of her collar. Her skirt and hair wave around as if some unseen wind is blowing trough them. The Lady's face is veiled by an ever shifting cover of a cloud like scarf, only two eyes visible above, the color of ice and death.

Even though the Barbarian is no expert on Undead, he can feel an overwhelming power emanating from the being, making the hairs on his arms and neck stand up. The lady hisses and darts towards Thok, her arm outstretched in his direction.

[sblock]An here she is! Knowledge checks for anyone interested (I know Peth will be). Actions as well. Here is a map to orientate you guys better:
rvved1.jpg

Later on i will make my maps with a grid of 5 x 5 squares. I can do this now as well but this isn't considered combat yet.[/sblock]

Adeladie smiles approvingly at Alevyth's words, and raises her gaze towards Lazarus. The middle aged leader of the Paladins stnads there for a moment, weighing down the boy's words. "So you have joined the fight with much the same intentions as my own men have. Can anyone confirm this?" At his expression of "men" Adeladie frowns a bit, but remains quiet.

"So then, who started all this? I recall a user of the arcane arts promising wealth in the hundreds of thousands, to some of you here. Was he the same one to cast that accursed spell of blindness?"

Whsipers can be heard going about the room, but much everyone remains quiet. A scrawny man in a rusty chainmail, with dried blood covering his wrinkly face, speaks up with a reluctant raspy voice "Eh told us da' only one group 'o sell-swords will be gettin them golds, an' dat he need only da bes' men on da job. So my boys, they are hot heads da lot o' them ye see milord, they try ta prove we's da best, and..." the man suddenly realities he is condemning his troops and shuts up abruptly.

Before he can continue, Dawnbringer Ferviel pushes Latham forward and raises his voice. "This is the smart arse with the Glitterdust spell Lazarus. Though his mouth is blasphemous i think he meant well, even if the results of his spell were not what I would call helpful."

Lazarus's brows meet as he is observing the situation. "Do the rest of you who bore witness confirm this? Has Alevyth Bawler indeed been trying to put an end to the fight, and was not a part of it initially? Has this man's group of mercenaries - he points towards the man in the rusty mail, who now looks around nervously. - been the cause of the disturbance? And you, what do you have to say of your use of magic to sow confusion in an already hard to control situation?" The last question is directed at Latham.

Lazarus's face is a mask of calmness and control, he seems concentrated as if playing chess against a skilled opponent.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
The barbarian grunts and raises his massive sword. "Thok cuts you in two!" The barbaian menaces prepearing his attack.

OOC: Readied action: Power attack vs lady spooky: 30 vs AC, 21 dmg Holy cow Thok's a damn beast

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Seeing that Merry has Jill safe in hand Kye quickly drops the visor on his helm, and turns to Thok's cry. Seeing something misty Kye decides not to strike out but instead bring the power of his god into the battle. "Prayth thee Helm, her's my need. Bring forkth thy strength into your fist." The Watchful Eye of Helm glows a pale blue as it responds to the prayer. And Kye smiles, though noone else can see it as if feels his muscles tighten and Yasaderian grow light as a feather in his hand.

[sblock=actions]
move action: to within ten feet of apparition (I saw no map just a box with an X in it. sorry)
standard action: cast bull's strength through holy symbol/meta magic rod
duration= 16 mins

STR:19 (+4) new attack work up:
Yasaderian +12/+7 to hit; 1d10+5 dmg; 19-20x2 crit; Slashing[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
HP: 72/72
AC: 23 T:11 FF: 22
Speed: 20'
Init: +1
Fort: +7
Reflex: +3
Will: +9 [/sblock]

[sblock=spells]
0 level: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
1 level: Bless, Bless, Cure Light Wounds(1d8+5), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, d= Enlarge Person
2 level: Bull's Strength, Spiritual Weapon, Make Whole, Remove Paralysis, d= Bull's Strength
3 level: Prayer, Cure Serious Wounds(3d8+8), Invisiblity Purge, Dispel Magic, d= Protection from Energy
4 level: Divine Power, Magic Weapon;Greater, d= Spell Immunity

Turn undead = 11/11
Protictuve ward = 1/1
Feat of strength = 1/1
Metamagic rod = 2/3 [/sblock][/quote]

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
Latham gives Ferviel a disapproving look, complete with a I-thought-we-were-friends look. And now he's being thrown under the carriage. He takes a requisite step forward, but mostly it was from the subtle shove the priest had given him. Keht, however, voluntarily took a step forward and stood silently next to the enchanter, ready to face the same punishment. Latham smiled widely, he loved that monk, that crazy, insane githzerai.

Finally he sighed and focused his attention on the man up front, the man staring deep into Latham's soul. A quick analysis made up Latham's mind and when he started speaking, it wasn't in the common tongue of Angelwatch, instead that of the Elven lands, "I don't know about you, but if I've got a sword in my hands and a desire to use it, and somehow I get blinded to the point where I can't see naught but glitter, I'm not going to randomly attack whilst swinging my sword wildly. All that will do is get me gutted. Which is what happened.

"Realistically, what my magicks did was show you who the mentally-challenged are in this assemblage. If you're blinded and you blindly attack, shame on you. But those who laid down their swords and focused on the idea that they could easily be side-stepped and killed, well those are the quick-thinging types that Lathander himself would be proud of. I tried to sort out the weeds and give you flowers. And that's exactly what I did."

He stands there proudly, as if he's expecting thanks. Unfortunately for Elvish, it's woefully inadequate at hurling insults, otherwise he's sure his speech would have been a bit more colorful.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Peth stares in -- well, not surprise, because it was completely predictable, but he stares, aghast, as Thok and Kye do everything they possibly could to further enrage the Lady.

Wishing he could observe the Lady quietly from a safe distance -- pen and journal in hand -- Peth instead hurries along the bridge towards Merry and Jill.

"Thok! Kye! This is not a good time to pick a fight! If we leave the area quickly, without doing anything rash, I believe the Lady will ignore us. I'm not even certain our weapons will affect her!"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Nay mustard gnome, Yasaderian can and shall prevail!" Kye says through the closed helment. "Show thy true self, blade 'o babes"

Raised before the Helmite Yasaderian starts to fade, the sun no longer gleaming off the broad blade. After a moment the sword seems like mist that anyone can see through as the "ghost-touch" weapon stands poised.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Kye summons the energies of his deity and newfound strength flows in his body, warming his blood and tightening his grip around the hilt of his beloved Yasaderian. He moves closer to the lady, now positioning himself shoulder to shoulder next to Thok, and both face the spirit with eagerness in their eyes.

The Lady seems completely uninterested in the efforts of either Kye nor Thok, while she floats casually over the edge where the Barbarian is standing, and reaches for the child's doll lying at his feet. Thok wastes no time and with a rage-infused snarl he swings his massive greatsword at the apparition.

At first it seems that the Orc's enchanted blade will pass trough the Lady's ethereal body, but at this precise moment she appears to be concerned with picking up Tatters from the ground. The long steel blade lunges deep in the Lady's form, and for a moment her whole visage flickers out of existence, apparently harmed by the heavy strike. A long and wide cut now splits her chest and shoulder, as if she were a drawing that had been ripped. While the edges of her form start waving around like white smoke, the wound starts closing but does not disappear completely.

Peth is next to Merry and Jill, and all three of them look at the developing situation. Jill manages to squirm out of her sister's grip and rushes forward, while Merry lets out a curse and chases after her sister. "STOP YOU IDIOT WHERE ARE YOU GOING!" Merry cries out in anger as she lifts her skirt up so she can run faster.

The lady raises her head, with Tatters in her right hand. The doll is already covered in a thin layer of frost, and Kye and Thok can feel the air getting almost unbearably brisk. The apparition hisses and lifts her left hand towards her veiled face, but only lowers the white, mist-like cover a bit. Now one can see her cheeks and the upper half of her nose, and it is apparent that in life, she was a comely lass.

A sudden dark pulse of energy washes ofer the Lady's features, and for a moment she appears as an vicious, bloodthirsty female with yellow eyes and a feral grin on her features. Everyone feels as if the Lady is staring in to their souls and is about to devour them without mercy.

[sblock]I rolled a 1d20 chance for Thok to see if he can hit the Lady, 1-10 meaning failure and 11-20 meaning success. he rolled an 11 :) So he hits her for full damage. Now everyone within 60 feet must make a Will save please.[/sblock]

As people exchange conversations before him, Senslar can now clearly remember the raggedy bunch of mercenaries whom indeed started the fight after the promises of gold sounded trough the square. He can also clearly identify the mage who spoke in Elven just now as the caster of the spell.

Lazarus stares at Alevyth and frowns, but then moves his gaze over to Adelaide. The young female Paladin nods her head slowly and puts her left hand on the hilt of her sword.

"Your words ring with truth young warrior, as i have long since learned to discern lies from honesty. - Lazaru's voice is calm and thick. - Your intentions were noble, and your love for the laws of this land is commendable. I would ask you for your aid in carrying out this trial, as a witness and source of information, but should you choose otherwise you are free to go. Although, frankly I would rejoice at having a young man of worth such as yourself join us in our expedition in the Valley."

Lazarus then turns towards Latham and smiles, nodding slightly. The group of mercenaries and their leader cast angry glances at the Wizard, even as they rub their foreheads with an apparent lack of comprehension. "Thank you for choosing the language of the Elves to speak your mind. I truly wish for no grudges to be held between humans in this town, while unspeakable horrors lie just beyond the city walls." Lazarus sighs and paces back and forth behind the wooden stand.

"Although your reasoning does not match my own, i can see merit in it. You border on the obnoxious, but nevertheless your logic is adequate. Tell me your name, and i shall make sure you are exempt from prosecution. I wish, however, to ask of your aid in this quest. We lack the backing of a master of the Arcane, and there will be great need of one such as yourself."

Ferviel grins and slaps Latham's back with his mail clad palm. "Told ya, everyone wants you to be Lich fodder, HAR HAR HAR!" The Lathandrian looks like a lunatic, laughing out loud in the middle of this awkward trial.

Lazarus makes a face as if had eaten something sour, but remains silent and waiting for a response. Meanwhile, the leader of the guilty group of mercenaries starts eying the exit and the high, stained glass windows with shifty eyes and a sweaty brow.

Remove ads