Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like changing plane shift to Shadow!

I also like substituting shadow magic in campaigns with Tome of Magic (even though I don't have that book).

Shade, RavinRay, any thoughts on how to compensate for the loss of the breath weapon?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Perhaps a shadow breath weapon that emulates other breath weapons, but is only quasi-real (like shadow evocation)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shall we give these critters higher Dex than usual (and not give them unearthly grace to keep the AC low)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure.

Let's remember that the originals have better casting than the other drakes. Do we want to improve their CL progression?

Shade

Monster Junkie
We can go with Cleon's suggesion of caster level = age category, or we could stall a few levels to have them cap out at 8th (something like 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th).

Cleon

Legend
We can go with Cleon's suggesion of caster level = age category, or we could stall a few levels to have them cap out at 8th (something like 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th).

Well it all depends what final CR we're aiming for, it would probably be about caster level +1, so CR9 for an 8th level sorcerer. I'm fine either way.

Although if we go for caster level under age category I was thinking more of a caster-level progression that starts out gradual and gets steeper for the senior drakes, e.g. 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

Remove ads