(3.X D&D/d20) Recruiting: The First (Now OOC)

Arkhandus

First Post
Willette said:
So i made all the changes i believe. Altered the flare to a helm (essentially a head lamp with flashbulb type scenario) and put in a list of available slots as an afterthought which should be ok but let me know. Only 2 questions:

1. Can i use mercantile background from MoF as starting feat and apply the item sales and buying discount to a barter situation as i assume we'll be using? Or is the extra 300 gp too much to be adding at start, as i'd be devoting most of it to having more charges or a different artificer item. If not i'd say i'll take rapid reload for light crossbow.

2. As to the adding of hide to the size category, would the +4 to hide classified as racial be this size bonus of is that in addition to size so i'd have +8 and +12 in woods.
Elldar looks fine now, aside from needing a feat. And some background. Please add a bit of background today.

1. It's not in Magic of Faerun or Monsters of Faerun..... And the FRCS version, and the version in Dragon Magazine as a Greyhawk regional feat for 3.5, doesn't mention any extra gold or discounts. It just gives a bonus to Appraise and one Craft or Profession skill. So no, I wouldn't allow whatever version of the feat you're referring to. I don't have Player's Guide to Faerun, so if that's the source you're looking it, it's unavailable to me. So I assume Rapid Reload (Light Crossbow) is your starting feat then?

2. It's a size bonus to Hide checks. Forest gnomes thusly have a total of +8 on Hide checks, or +12 total in woodlands. Before Dexterity, skill ranks, armor check penalty, and other possible modifiers are factored in. Elldar's total would be +10, up to +14 in woodlands, after Dex and ACP.

Last edited:

Willette

First Post
Code:
A few moments later the wolf pack began to move on and, after waiting for a minute to be sure he was safe, Elldar slid from the hollow log he had been concealing himself in. Despite having only been alive for a few days he was quickly becoming accustomed to life alone in the wilderness and found that he fell very naturally into the rhythm of forest life. Days were spent gathering food and communing with the kinder animals which surrounded him, while at night he retired to the nest of an eagle he'd found abandoned that first night. 

Then one morning while talking to a squirrel another voice filled his head, one that was familiar yet he was sure he'd never heard before.

"Time to begin your journey my friend, you've had the time to get used to your existance and now you must go fill a purpose."  

"But what is that purpose?" asked Elldar, "I enjoy my life here."

"Only because you have not yet discovered your true skills, there is a small settlement to the East, head there and you'll know what to do..." the voice echoed, " trust me."

Height: 3'00"
Weight: 40lb
Eyes: Large Black
Hair: Shaggy Brown
Skin: Mottled Green Brown

Name: Elldar
Class: Artificer
Race: Forest Gnome
Size: Small
Alignment: Neutral Good

Str: 14 (15-2 racial+1) +2  Level: 1            XP: 0
Dex: 18 (18)            +4  BAB: +0             HP: 9 (1d6+3)
Con: 16 (12+2 racial+2) +3  Grapple: -2 (0+2-4) Dmg Red: -
Int: 18 (18)            +4  Speed: 20 ft        Spell Res: -
Wis: 16 (15+1)          +3  Init: +4            Spell Save: +4
Cha: 13 (12+1)          +1  ACP: -2             Spell Fail: -

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:               10     +3   +1    +4    +1                 19
Touch: 12             Flatfooted: 15

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                       0    +3    +0     +3
Ref:                        2    +4    +0     +6
Will:                       0    +3    +0     +3

Weapons:                Attack     Damage Critical
Morningstar             +3 (0+2+1)  1d6+2    20/x2
Dagger                  +3 (0+2+1)  1d3+2 19-20/x2    
Light Crossbow          +5 (0+4+1)  1d6   19-20/x2

Device powers: 0th 4, 1st 2 

0th
Detect Poison
Flare
Light
Mage Hand

1st
Grease
Shocking Grasp

Languages: Gnome, Common, Forest Animals, Dwarven, Orc, Sylvan, Giant 

Racial/Class Traits:
Pass without Trace (Su): A forest gnome has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the forest gnome’s class levels. 

1/day — Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level

+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds, goblinoids, orcs, and reptilian humanoids. 

+4 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +8 in a wooded area. 

+2 Constitution, -2 Strength. 

Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, -4 penalty on grapple checks, +4 on hide checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters. 

A gnome’s base land speed is 20 feet. 

Low-light vision. 

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and +1 to illusion save DC. 

+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants). 

+2 racial bonus on Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks. 

Weapon Familiarity. Gnome Hooked Hammer

Trapfinding: Can use Search skill to locate traps when Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has DC of 20 or higher if well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with party) without disarming it.

Favored Class: Bard. 
Feats: Improved Intiative

Skill Points: 32       Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills:                  Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
Appraise                  2      4           6 
Craft (alchemy)           2      4     2     8
Craft (weaponsmithing)    4      4           8
Craft (armorsmithing)     4      4           8
Disable Device            2      4           6
Knowledge (engr&arch)     4      4           8
Profession (engr)         4      3           7
Listen                    2      3     2     7
Search                    4      4           8
Open Locks                4      4           8

Equipment:                      Cost  Weight  Charges
Artisan's Tools                 5 gp  5    lb  
Explorer's Outfit               0 gp  2    lb
Rations (4 days)               20 sp  1    lb
Bedroll                         1 sp  1.25 lb
Fishhook                        1 sp
Scroll Case                     1 gp  0.5  lb
Flint and Steel                 1 gp
Waterskin (2)                   2 gp  2    lb
Belt Pouch                      1 gp  0.125lb
Ink                             8 gp
Inkpen                          1 sp
Parchment (8)                  1.6gp
Sack                            1 sp  0.125lb
Morningstar                     8 gp  3    lb
Light Crossbow                 35 gp  2    lb
Dagger                          2 gp  0.5  lb
Bolts (30)                      3 gp  1.5  lb
Studded Leather Armor          25 gp 10.0  lb
Buckler                        15 gp  2.5  lb
Artificer Item: Flare Helm     90 gp  2.5  lb   9
(Helmet + Belt Slot)
-------------------------------------------------
                              200 gp  34   lb

Lgt  Med Hvy    Lift       Push
Max Weight:              43.5 87  131.25 131.25/263 656

* One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head 
* One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes 
* One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck 
* One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso 
* One pair of pants on lower body 
* One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt) 
* One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor) 
* One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor) 
* One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists 
* One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands 
* One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand) 
* One pair of boots or shoes on the feet

Should be good to go! i took improved initiative instead. If there is anything final to change let me know.

Arkhandus

First Post
No need to withdraw, Frozen Messiah. You're not holding anything up or anything, you'd just be entering play later in the week or sometime next week.

Willette, can you please move the background description OUTSIDE the Code blocks? It's really hard to read it in those Code blocks where it becomes a long run-on.

In-Character thread will be posted sometime tonight, I'm just busy finishing up some NPCs and doing stuff around the house.

Willette

First Post
A few moments later the wolf pack began to move on and, after waiting for a minute to be sure he was safe, Elldar slid from the hollow log he had been concealing himself in. Despite having only been alive for a few days he was quickly becoming accustomed to life alone in the wilderness and found that he fell very naturally into the rhythm of forest life. Days were spent gathering food and communing with the kinder animals which surrounded him, while at night he retired to the nest of an eagle he'd found abandoned that first night.

Then one morning while talking to a squirrel another voice filled his head, one that was familiar yet he was sure he'd never heard before.

"Time to begin your journey my friend, you've had the time to get used to your existance and now you must go fill a purpose."

"But what is that purpose?" asked Elldar, "I enjoy my life here."

"Only because you have not yet discovered your true skills, there is a small settlement to the East, head there and you'll know what to do..." the voice echoed, " trust me."

Code:
Height: 3'00"
Weight: 40lb
Eyes: Large Black
Hair: Shaggy Brown
Skin: Mottled Green Brown

Name: Elldar
Class: Artificer
Race: Forest Gnome
Size: Small
Alignment: Neutral Good

Str: 14 (15-2 racial+1) +2  Level: 1            XP: 0
Dex: 18 (18)            +4  BAB: +0             HP: 9 (1d6+3)
Con: 16 (12+2 racial+2) +3  Grapple: -2 (0+2-4) Dmg Red: -
Int: 18 (18)            +4  Speed: 20 ft        Spell Res: -
Wis: 16 (15+1)          +3  Init: +4            Spell Save: +4
Cha: 13 (12+1)          +1  ACP: -2             Spell Fail: -

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:               10     +3   +1    +4    +1                 19
Touch: 12             Flatfooted: 15

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                       0    +3    +0     +3
Ref:                        2    +4    +0     +6
Will:                       0    +3    +0     +3

Weapons:                Attack     Damage Critical
Morningstar             +3 (0+2+1)  1d6+2    20/x2
Dagger                  +3 (0+2+1)  1d3+2 19-20/x2    
Light Crossbow          +5 (0+4+1)  1d6   19-20/x2

Device powers: 0th 4, 1st 2 

0th
Detect Poison
Flare
Light
Mage Hand

1st
Grease
Shocking Grasp

Languages: Gnome, Common, Forest Animals, Dwarven, Orc, Sylvan, Giant 

Racial/Class Traits:
Pass without Trace (Su): A forest gnome has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the forest gnome’s class levels. 

1/day — Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level

+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds, goblinoids, orcs, and reptilian humanoids. 

+4 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +8 in a wooded area. 

+2 Constitution, -2 Strength. 

Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, -4 penalty on grapple checks, +4 on hide checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters. 

A gnome’s base land speed is 20 feet. 

Low-light vision. 

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and +1 to illusion save DC. 

+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants). 

+2 racial bonus on Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks. 

Weapon Familiarity. Gnome Hooked Hammer

Trapfinding: Can use Search skill to locate traps when Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has DC of 20 or higher if well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with party) without disarming it.

Favored Class: Bard. 
Feats: Improved Intiative

Skill Points: 32       Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills:                  Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
Appraise                  2      4           6 
Craft (alchemy)           2      4     2     8
Craft (weaponsmithing)    4      4           8
Craft (armorsmithing)     4      4           8
Disable Device            2      4           6
Knowledge (engr&arch)     4      4           8
Profession (engr)         4      3           7
Listen                    2      3     2     7
Search                    4      4           8
Open Locks                4      4           8

Equipment:                      Cost  Weight  Charges
Artisan's Tools                 5 gp  5    lb  
Explorer's Outfit               0 gp  2    lb
Rations (4 days)               20 sp  1    lb
Bedroll                         1 sp  1.25 lb
Fishhook                        1 sp
Scroll Case                     1 gp  0.5  lb
Flint and Steel                 1 gp
Waterskin (2)                   2 gp  2    lb
Belt Pouch                      1 gp  0.125lb
Ink                             8 gp
Inkpen                          1 sp
Parchment (8)                  1.6gp
Sack                            1 sp  0.125lb
Morningstar                     8 gp  3    lb
Light Crossbow                 35 gp  2    lb
Dagger                          2 gp  0.5  lb
Bolts (30)                      3 gp  1.5  lb
Studded Leather Armor          25 gp 10.0  lb
Buckler                        15 gp  2.5  lb
Artificer Item: Flare Helm     90 gp  2.5  lb   9
(Helmet + Belt Slot)
-------------------------------------------------
                              200 gp  34   lb

Lgt  Med Hvy    Lift       Push
Max Weight:              43.5 87  131.25 131.25/263 656

* One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head 
* One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes 
* One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck 
* One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso 
* One pair of pants on lower body 
* One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt) 
* One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor) 
* One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor) 
* One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists 
* One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands 
* One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
* One pair of boots or shoes on the feet

that good to go?

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, that looks better. Thanks Willette.

IC thread opening within the next half-hour or so, I'm just about to finish and post the last few notable NPCs from the starting area. I'll update this post with a link to the IC thread once I've put it up. This will become the Out Of Character discussion thread after that. Recruitment is pretty much closed now, unless Frozen Messiah really is just dropping out. If he is, then I'm willing to accept one other PC in his place, if he isn't joining this game.

Edit: Got delayed. Posting NPCs now, then opening the IC thread.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
NPC: Theris Blackhammer

Theris Blackhammer, First young adult female Hill Dwarf
Effective Age 40 years, Height 4'-2", Weight 164 lbs., Lawful Neutral Alignment
Divine Patron: Unknown, ECL: 1, XP: 0, Class: Expert 1
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Terran, Undercommon

[sblock=Stats]Strength 18, Dexterity 13, Constitution 20, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 14, Charisma 14
HP 11 / 11, Nonlethal 0, AC 11, Touch AC 11, Flat-Footed AC 10
BAB +0, Melee +4, Ranged +1, Grapple +4, Initiative +1
Fortitude +5, Reflex +1, Will +4, Speed 20 ft.

Skills: Appraise +6/+8/+10 (3 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial, +2 scale), Craft (Armorsmithing) +11 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial, +2 tools), Craft (Blacksmithing) +11 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial, +2 tools), Craft (Carpentry) +7 (4 ranks, +3 Int), Craft (Goldsmithing) +9 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial), Craft (Silversmithing) +11 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial, +2 tools), Craft (Stonemasonry) +9 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial), Craft (Weaponsmithing) +14 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial, +3 feat, +2 tools), Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) +5 (2 ranks, +3 Int), Profession (Farmer) +3 (1 rank cross-class, +2 Wis), Profession (Miner) +3 (1 rank, +2 Wis), Search +3/+5 (0 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial)

Feats: Skill Focus (Craft - Weaponsmithing)

Racial Traits: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, Medium Humanoid (Dwarf), Base Speed 20 ft. (regardless of medium or heavy armor/loads), Darkvision (60 ft.), Weapon Familiarity (dwarven waraxe, dwarven urgrosh), Sturdy (+4 to oppose bull rush and trip attempts when standing on firm ground), Stonecunning (+2 Search for unusual stonework, free Search check to notice unusual stonework when passing within 10 ft., find stonework traps like a rogue, intuit depth underground), +2 on saves versus poison, +2 on saves versus spells and spell-like effects, +1 to attacks versus Goblinoids and Orcs, +4 dodge AC versus Giants, +2 Appraise related to stone or metal, +2 Craft related to stone or metal, Favored Class (fighter)

Class Features: Proficiencies (all simple weapons, all light armors)

Equipment: Heavy Mace, Dagger, Artisan's Outfit, Belt Pouch (Flint & Steel, Soap, Whetstone, 7 Chalk Pieces), Belt Pouch (2 Trail Rations), Backpack (2 Trail Rations, 4 Waterskins), Sack (9-Square-Yard Canvas, Slate Board, Merchant's Scale, Shovel), Sack (Bedroll, Masterwork Smithing Artisan's Tools, Carpentry Artisan's Tools, Stonemasonry Artisan's Tools), Sack (2 Ale Jugs), Sack (2 Waterskins, Trail Ration, 4 Meat Chunks), Miner's Pick, 105 Iron Ingots, 15-Days' Firewood

Load 522 lbs. (Lift Low or Push/Pull), Light 100, Medium 200, Heavy 300
Light High 300, Lift Low 600, Push/Pull 1,500

Source Materials: 3.5 SRD[/sblock]

Appearance: Theris Blackhammer is a stout, stern-looking dwarven woman with flinty gray eyes, a broad face, prominent cheekbones, and a square jaw, her feminine nature only slightly apparent from her face, but more obvious from the fact that she lacks any kind of beard. She wears her short black hair somewhat long, tied in interwoven braids just over halfway down her back. Her eyebrows are a bit less bushy and a bit more feminine than those of a male dwarf. Theris has smooth, deep-tan skin with the exception of growing callouses on her hands and feet from a great deal of walking and hard work in her short life so far. She is a young adult, standing just over 4 feet tall and brimming with muscle. Her voice is deep, but hearty when she isn't berating someone for being lazy, misbehaving, or just not doing what she's told them to do. There's a certain motherly aspect to her attitude, though a stern one.

She wears a leather work apron with tool pockets, over a sleeveless navy-blue shirt and simple gray pants, which leaves a bit of her chest and stomach exposed when she isn't wearing the work apron. Theris wears simple leather shoes, and leather gloves when working. Two pouches, a simple dagger in a brown sheath, and a hefty mace hang from her belt. A mining pick hangs from a bandolier, just under her backpack. She has three large sacks filled with supplies, along with large stacks of firewood and iron ingots.

[sblock=Other Details]Background: Theris Blackhammer first felt the sensation of being forged in flames, smelted like ore into a pure form, hammered into shape, then tempered and cooled. She awoke in a small cave, the rock still cooling, and she walked slowly out into the sunlight, squinting. Theris had a vague sense of her creator, but nothing more. She knew she had a purpose, was forged with a reason in mind, a place in the unfamiliar world where she found herself.

Theris knew her name, and found a black hammer lying atop the pile of clothes, gear, tools, and supplies that lay at the mouth of the cave. This was her purpose. Her tool. To create others, to forge a future she could not yet understand. To hone herself and others, for she was suddenly aware that there were others somewhere in this world, and a mate for her. To hammer and smelt and carve and engrave and perfect. To build......

Theris set out from the cave after donning her clothes and gear. She knew the building supplies could be left safely by her birthplace, at least for now. The dwarf traveled on foot for two days in the woods, following a stream that she found late on the first day. Downstream she found a few people gathered around a shallow part of the stream, disorganized strangers loosely working together at the behest of a taller, beautiful woman. Theris was first envious of Seshani, but ultimately decided that she was too scrawny. Theris introduced herself and began to develop a rapport with Seshani, helping manage the others and establish a basic social order around the camp.

A few more people showed up over the next few days, but Theris had already left, enlisting the aid of a towering behemoth named Jaegar to help fetch her building supplies. The two of them made due haste to retrieve the cumbersome pile of ingots and firewood, hauling the load back over the next two days. Theris set up her portable forge and started organizing the campers, quickly earning a reputation among them for a stern, hard-working attitude and a penchant for enforcing order despite her minimal combat skills, through sheer muscle and force of will.

Still, it was obvious that she had the best interests of the group in mind, and always worked the hardest, patiently dealing with others. She feels a sort of motherly instinct towards these strangers. Theris has mentored a few in the camp who have shown an interest in smithing, something that she has an incredible knack for, particularly the elf named Falryn. Now, on the seventh day since her awakening, Theris has met Kaznak the dwarf, whom she has been slow to accept so far.

Rolls:
Heavy mace +4 melee for 1d8+6 bludgeoning damage (20/x2)
Dagger +4 melee or +1 ranged (thrown, 10 ft. increment) for 1d4+4 piercing or slashing damage (19-20/x2)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
NPC: Jaegar

Jaegar (YAE-gar), First young adult male Hu-Charad Giant
Effective Age 60 years, Height 7'-1", Weight 266 lbs., Lawful Neutral Alignment
Divine Patron: Unknown, ECL: 1, XP: 0, Class: Ritual Warrior 1
Languages: Common, Giant, Gnome, Halfling

[sblock=Stats]Strength 20, Dexterity 16, Constitution 18, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 15, Charisma 12
HP 14 / 14, Nonlethal 0, AC 17, Touch AC 13, Flat-Footed AC 14
BAB +0, Melee +5, Ranged +3, Grapple +5, Initiative +3
Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +4, Speed 30 ft.

Skills: Climb +4 (1 rank, +5 Str, -2 armor), Concentration +5 (1 rank, +4 Con), Craft (Armorsmith) +5 (1 rank, +2 Int, +2 racial), Craft (Bowmaking) +5 (1 rank, +2 Int, +2 racial), Craft (Weaponsmith) +5 (1 rank, +2 Int, +2 racial), Diplomacy +3 (0 ranks, +1 Cha, +2 racial), Heal +6 (4 ranks, +2 Wis), Jump +4 (1 rank, +5 Str, -2 armor), Knowledge (Ceremony) +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int), Listen +6 (4 ranks, +2 Wis), Sense Motive +4 (0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 racial), Spot +6 (4 ranks, +2 Wis), Swim +7/-19 (2 ranks, +5 Str, -26 weight)

Feats: Ambidexterity (Talent), Ritual Combat (Ceremonial), Two-Weapon Fighting

Racial Traits: +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, Medium Giant, Base Speed 30 ft., +2 Craft, +2 Diplomacy, +2 Sense Motive, Favored Class (highest-level class)

Class Features: Proficiencies (all simple weapons, all martial weapons, all light armors, all medium armors, all heavy armors, all shields), Bonus Feat, Combat Rites (3+1+3/day of the 1st rank, bonus rites based on Wisdom)

Equipment: Halberd, Warhammer, Longsword, Short Sword, Dagger, 6 Darts, Chain Shirt, Traveler's Outfit, Bedroll, Belt Pouch (Flint & Steel, 2 Tindertwigs), Belt Pouch (Soap, 10 Candles), Backpack (2 Trail Rations, 4 Waterskins), Sack (Tent), Sack (Bowmaking Artisan's Tools, Smithing Artisan's Tools, 50-ft. Silk Rope, Grappling Hook, 2 Sunrods), Cheese (already eaten)

Load 133 lbs. (Light), Light 133, Medium 266, Heavy 400
Light High 400, Lift Low 800, Push/Pull 2,000

Source Materials: Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved[/sblock]

Appearance: Jaegar is a very tall man, one of the first Hu-Charad giants, and incredibly well-muscled. Surprisingly, thanks to his great height of about 7 feet, his muscles don't interfere much with his agility, and he's rather nimble and graceful for a giant. Jaegar has light brown skin and close-cropped, slightly curly black hair, with a short beard as well. His eyes are dark blue and his face well-chiseled but not especially handsome. His voice is a deep basso.

Jaegar wears simple brown and gray traveling clothes with a white cloak and a chainmail shirt, two swords and a dagger hanging from his belt, and a warhammer slung under his left arm on a long, leather strap. He carries a deadly halberd and a few darts rest in his pockets. Jaegar also carries two sacks full of supplies, tied over his shoulders, and a backpack with a bedroll tied to the back of his belt under the pack.

[sblock=Other Details]Background: Jaegar awoke slowly as dawn broke over the horizon, laying on a rocky outcropping over the sea. He lay still for long minutes, sorting through his perceptions and the rhythms of nature around him. The breeze, waves splashing against the rocks and then receding, birdcalls, seagulls soaring around overhead, clouds drifting and gathering in the distance, monkeys in the trees behind him, his heartbeat, his breathing. He had an inkling of knowledge that there was something to these rhythms, an order to them, a purpose and destiny about them. They preceded events, drew them forth, and brought them to their conclusions.

He understood this cause and effect, this relationship between the rhythms of life and how they determined things, related to things. He knew that he could use such knowledge to his advantage, somehow. He knew that he must, that it is his destiny. Destiny. This was important to him, though he wasn't quite sure why yet. There were things to do. Things he must accomplish, must learn, must find, must understand. And people he must meet, though he knew not why. He had an inkling of what society was, what importance it held, but not why it was so or how it was supposed to be. He would have to find out, to discover what he could and make it work. His understanding grew as he stood up and gazed at the surroundings.

He was Jaegar, and he was to sire the Hu-Charad. His people. It was important, for some reason. But he could not do so by himself. So Jaegar picked up his things, knowing they were meant for him, though he had no idea how he knew that, or anything else for that matter, or why he felt the siren call of destiny. Jaegar left the small peninsula and traversed the forest, seeking signss of anyone else in the wilderness. Somehow, he knew he must tame this wilderness, at least ensure that it would be safe for his progeny. Bur first, he must find other people, perhaps others like him, to start the great work of taming this land, mastering it, and establishing a society. Fulfilling the murky destiny that beckoned him forth.

Jaegar wandered for a few days before meeting the first person in the wilderness besides himself. A stunningly beautiful but small and fragile creature calling herself Seshani. She convinced the somewhat blunt and awkward Jaegar to join a small group of people she had gathered at the banks of the stream nearby, to help them out, speak with the others, and perhaps help protect them with his massive muscles and mighty halberd. For he obviously had the look of a warrior. At that mention, Jaegar knew it to be so. He was a warrior, made for battle and possessed of the understanding to use his weapons effectively. And he knew, vaguely, how to craft more weapons. To arm other people for battle. He then understood that this, too, was part of his destiny. To train others for battle, to arm them, and......protect them. He must ensure that people survived to build the society that he vaguely knew must one day come about. A society needed people. And it needed protectors.

Later that day, Jaegar started helping out around the camp, first following the tiny woman named Theris Blackhammer to bring her supplies to the campsite. He observed her forgework sometimes, impressed at how easily she handled the tools and turned small blocks of raw material into functional, even beautiful in their own way, instruments of war, farming, and construction. But he was more impressed by the tall woman he met after returning to the camp with Theris' supplies. Angrboda was beautiful to him. Stronger and sturdier than the twiglike Seshani, more comely and right-sized than the midget Theris. And stronger-willed, he could tell. A fellow Hu-Charad, the first of his kind he had met. The few other women in the camp were like nothing so much as daughters to him, children to be herded and handled with care, humored when they felt like being bossy or acting as if they knew everything, but not really taken seriously. Angrboda was the only other adult he had met, to Jaegar's eyes.

He has spent the past few days with Angrboda since meeting her, and has paid less attention to the rest of the fledgling society growing at the campsite than he had when first arriving. Still, he tries to maintain order and security around the camp, seeing Theris' efforts as helpful but lacking in authority given her childlike stature. Jaegar has also started practicing a few things he has come to realize as he pondered the rhythms of life and nature all around him, as if remembering long-forgotten skills and morsels of martial knowledge. He has found that his combat skills, though practiced only on trees most of the time, are amplified when he follows a certain pattern of thought and action himself before striking. He understands something instinctively about the power of ritual and ceremony, but has yet to grasp the full scope of it.

Rolls:
Halberd +5 melee (10-ft. reach) for 1d10+7 piercing or slashing damage (20/x3)
Warhammer +5 melee for 1d8+5 (2H 1d8+7) bludgeoning damage (20/x3)
Longsword +5 melee for 1d8+5 (2H 1d8+7) slashing damage (19-20/x2)
Short sword +5 melee for 1d6+5 (off-hand 1d6+2) piercing damage (19-20/x2)
Dagger +5 melee or +3 ranged (thrown, 10 ft. increment) for 1d4+5 piercing or slashing damage (19-20/x2)
Dart +3 ranged (thrown, 20 ft. increment) for 1d4+5 piercing damage (20/x2)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
NPC: Tianulien Amarastaeia

Tianulien Amarastaeia, First young adult female High Elf
Effective Age 110 years, Height 5'-2", Weight 98 lbs., Chaotic Good Alignment
Divine Patron: Unknown, ECL: 1, XP: 0, Class: Bard 1
Languages: Common, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan

[sblock=Stats]Strength 14, Dexterity 20, Constitution 12, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 15, Charisma 18
HP 7 / 7, Nonlethal 0, AC 17, Touch AC 15, Flat-Footed AC 12
BAB +0, Melee +2, Ranged +5, Grapple +2, Initiative +5
Fortitude +1, Reflex +7, Will +4, Speed 30 ft.

Skills: Balance +6 (1 rank, +5 Dex), Bluff +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha), Climb +3 (1 rank, +2 Str), Concentration +2 (1 rank, +1 Con), Craft (Bowmaking) +9 (4 ranks, +3 Int, +2 tools), Craft (Drawing) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Craft (Instrument-Making) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Craft (Woodcarving) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Diplomacy +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha), Escape Artist +6 (1 rank, +5 Dex), Gather Information +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha), Hide +6 (1 rank, +5 Dex), Jump +3 (1 rank, +2 Str), Knowledge (Arcana) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Listen +5 (1 rank, +2 Wis, +2 racial), Move Silently +6 (1 rank, +5 Dex), Perform (Dance) +6 (2 ranks, +4 Cha), Perform (Percussion Instruments) +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha), Perform (Sing) +8 (4 ranks, +4 Cha), Perform (Stringed Instruments) +8 (4 ranks, +4 Cha), Perform (Wind Instruments) +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha), Profession (Gardener) +3 (1 rank, +2 Wis), Search +5 (0 ranks, +3 Int, +2 racial), Sense Motive +3 (1 rank, +2 Wis), Spellcraft +4 (1 rank, +3 Int), Spot +4 (0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 racial), Swim +3/-0 (1 rank, +2 Str), Tumble +6 (1 rank, +5 Dex), Use Magic Device +5 (1 rank, +4 Cha)

Feats: Point Blank Shot

Racial Traits: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, Medium Humanoid (Elf), Base Speed 30 ft., Low-Light Vision (2x human range in poor light), Weapon Proficiency (longbow, longsword, rapier, shortbow), immunity to magical sleep effects (trances 4 hours/night), +2 on saves versus Enchantment, +2 Listen, +2 Search (free Search check when passing within 5 feet of secret or concealed doors), +2 Spot, Favored Class (wizard)

Class Features: Proficiencies (all simple weapons, longsword, rapier, sap, shortbow, short sword, whip, all light armors, all shields except tower shields), Bardic Knowledge (1d20+1+3), Bardic Music (1/day), Countersong (Su, Perform 3 ranks, Perform checks in place of saves versus sonic and language-dependent effects, 10 rounds max duration), Fascinate (Sp, Mind-Affecting, Enchantment, Compulsion, Perform 3 ranks, requires concentration, affects one creature, +1 creature per three bard levels above 1st, Perform check versus Will save, 1 round per bard level max duration), Inspire Courage (Su, Mind-Affecting, Perform 3 ranks, +1 morale on attacks, weapon damage, and saves versus charm or fear, lasts 5 rounds after performance), Bard Spells (spontaneous arcane, Charisma-based, always requires a verbal component, no spell failure from light armor, save DC 14, can cast 2 spells per day of 0-level, knows the 0-level spells Daze, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, and Resistance)

Equipment: Rapier, Dagger, Shortbow, 20 Arrows, Leather Armor, Entertainer's Outfit, Spell Component Pouch, Belt Pouch (Flint & Steel, Black Ink Vial, 2 Inkpens, Soap, Small Steel Mirror), Belt Pouch (Pestle & Mortar, 2 Pounds Assorted Seeds), Scroll Case (17 Parchment Sheets), Backpack (Elven Mead Flask, 2 Trail Rations, 4 Waterskins), Sack (Instrument-Making Artisan's Tools, Bedroll, Hammock, 9-Square-Yard Canvas), Sack (Bowmaking Artisan's Tools, Lap-Harp, Flute, Chimes), Sack (Beekeeper's Outfit, Whetstone, 3 Candles, 2 Torches)

Load 102 lbs. (Medium), Light 58, Medium 116, Heavy 175
Light High 175, Lift Low 350, Push/Pull 875

Source Materials: 3.5 SRD[/sblock]

Appearance: Tianulien is a slender beauty at under a hundred pounds and just over 5 feet tall, lightly muscled and without an ounce of fat on her lithe elven body. Her skin is a perfect cream-color, with flowing black hair down to the small of her back and draped over her shoulders in shorter strands, often tied into braids over her shoulders. Her eyes are a stunning emerald green, sparkling with mirth as a smile often plays across her face. Her features are fine and delicate, her voice a melodious alto, and she sings often, usually accompanied by music from her lap-harp, though on occasion she plays her flute or makes celestial melodies with a set of chimes and tiny hammers for them.

Tianulien wears fanciful clothes spun from every color of the rainbow and more, bright and practically encouraging good cheer simply by her presence. She changes the exact outfit at times, adding or removing a few pieces of the elaborate get-up. While traveling or expecting danger, she wears leather armor, a few belt pouches, a backpack, a scroll case, and two sacks that she hauls over her dainty shoulders with some difficulty, packed with supplies, musical instruments, and tools.

A third sack is tied over her shoulder as well sometimes, holding additional items, but she usually leaves the third sack behind at camp, sometimes with the first or second sack as well. Tianulien also keeps a slender rapier blade at her belt, along with a sheathed dagger, and a shortbow is often carried over one shoulder, a quiver of arrows hauled under the opposite shoulder or slung over it if she's left the sacks behind.

[sblock=Other Details]Background: Tianulien Amarastaeia awoke with a deep breath, gasping as she felt someone breathe life into her. Her vision was foggy at first, the light of day too bright for her keen elven eyes, and she only caught a vague glimpse of the figure who stirred life within her chest, setting her heart a-beating and her lungs a-breathing. It was a magnificent sight, blurry though it was. She knew it must be someone powerful and glorious, beautiful yet dangerous, and for a moment she knew fear.

But the figure disappeared even as her vision cleared, whispering softly to her "You are awake now, my child, rise and see the world that awaits you. It is yours to discover and direct, with the music that sings your veins and with every word you speak. Speak, Tianulien Amarastaeia, and let not a day pass that does not hear your glorious voice. Share the wonder of music with others, inspire them, guide them with song and spell. I have given your voice power to shape the world, but it is a subtle power, so use it wisely and gracefully. It is not a blunt instrument. You have the weapons and skills to defend yourself in similar fashion. You must give others grace as I have given it to you. But most importantly, you must enjoy life and make the most of it, for life is a precious thing. Remember that."

She was perplexed, and the figure was gone before she could catch a clear image of her......father? Creator? What? Well, in any case, she needed to get up and get moving. She couldn't just lie down all day after such a speech from such a glorious being, whoever they were. The powerful and musical voice reverberated strongly and clearly in her memory. She would not forget this first encounter, this first experience. Tianulien arose and looked about at the grassy clearing around her. Forest surrounded the clearing, and she listened for a moment to the beautiful birdsongs emanating from it.

She spontaneously let out a lilting note of her own, and found her own voice to be even more beautiful than that of the birds. This was pleasing to her. She gathered the materials and supplies neatly set beside her before, finding a small mirror amongst them, and examined her likeness. This pleased her as well. She even made herself joyful at the sight of her radiant smile. Tianulien returned the mirror to its pouch and prepared the rest of her belongings, then whistled once and listened for the first birdcall to respond. She started walking that way, though slowly and with some difficulty at the weight of all her possessions. Why had Father, or whoever it was, left her with so much junk? He could've at least seen fit to make it lighter and more compact.

She sighed and carried on with the burden of her tools, instruments, and supplies, but finally came across a small stream. She followed the water for two days, and met another person drinking at the stream. Tianulien spoke inquisitively and cautiously with the stranger, a human woman named Metliz. They came to a temporary agreement to travel together for a little while and keep each other safe from harm, as they heard some animals fighting nearby and made haste to leave the area. After another day of travel, the two women met another stranger, the human male calling himself Forge. They were cautious at first, but found that he had a very trustworthy and noble bearing about him, and it was hard to not like him at first. The three stayed nearby for protection as they heard the wolves from Tianulien's and Metliz's previous day's trek, causing another ruckus not more than a half-mile away.

However, the wolves didn't spring on them that night, and instead, the next day a female who resembled Tianulien and Metliz to some degree found their camp, trailed by a giant of a man named Jaegar and a strange creature made of burning rocks, which called itself Pyre but whom the woman, Seshani, insisted wasn't going to attack them or burn down their camp. A dwarven woman named Theris Blackhammer came upon the camp that afternoon, and made herself a part of the group without asking. Followed a few hours later by a male forest gnome from the other direction, that which the wolves had been heard in the previous evening. The gnome called himself Elldar, and didn't seem threatening, so the group allowed him to stay at their temporary campsite for mutual protection against the wolves. And so the eight maintained their camp, though first moving it a few miles further downriver, hoping to avoid the wolves.

The next day, while Theris and Jaegar were away fetching Theris' building supplies, the camp was joined by a male elf named Falryn, whom Tianulien took an instant liking to, though she's played coy so far and acted aloof much of the time. She was somewhat disappointed at his apparent lack of musical aptitude, but is endeavoring to teach him, if he can in fact be taught.

The morning after that also saw an attack by a lone wolf, which tried to make off with Elldar the gnome as he slept, but Tianulien and Falryn managed to drive it off before it could do much harm, since the elves needed little rest and were left with the last night-watch that time. Later that day, the giantess Angrboda joined the camp, bringing a small herd of animals with her. Seshani welcomed her and mentioned another giant passing through earlier, and said that he should be on his way back now. Angrboda stuck around that day out of curiousity, and late in the afternoon Theris and Jaegar returned. A crazy orcish man attacked the camp later that evening, causing some trouble, but he was routed by Falryn, Forge, and Pyre before any real fight could break out, and before the orc could steal anything of worth.

Since then, the group has remained fairly static in number, except for Kaznak the dwarf, who arrived later, on the seventh day since Tianulien's awakening. She doesn't much care for either of the dwarves so far, nor Jaegar or Angrboda yet. She's still wary of Pyre and a bit jealous of Seshani, whose beauty rivals or perhaps even exceeds Tianulien's own. She remains neutral towards Elldar and Forge, but still feels friendly with Metliz so far, as the first person she met.

Rolls:
Rapier +2 melee for 1d6+2 piercing damage (18-20/x2)
Dagger +2 melee or +5 ranged or +6 point-blank (thrown, 10 ft. increment) for 1d4+2 piercing or slashing damage or 1d4+3 point-blank (19-20/x2)
Shortbow +5 ranged or +6 point-blank (projectile, 60 ft. increment) for 1d6 piercing damage or 1d6+1 point-blank (20/x3)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases