(3.X D&D/d20) Recruiting: The First (Now OOC)

Theroc

First Post
I could use a resume of characters and npcs with race and short description, I'm kinda lost XD.

Arkhandus has posted all of the NPC's mentioned in the IC thread here in the OOC.

Player characters:
GlassEye..........Angrboda, Female Giant Wood Witch (ready)
rangerjohn........Falryn, Male Elf Duskblade (ready)
Voda Vosa........Metliz, Female Human Air Shugenja (ready)
Dragonwriter.....Kaznak, Male Dwarf Dragonfire Adept (ready)
HolyMan...........Forge, Male Human Paladin (ready)
Willette............Elidar, Male Forest Gnome Artificer (ready)
Theroc.............Pyre, Male Flamekin Brightsoul (ready)

Arkhandus

First Post
Sorry. I had gotten sidetracked just a little yesterday afternoon, and it took longer than expected to finish the NPC backgrounds, type up the IC thread introduction, and fix a minor error in Tianulien's background regarding the timeline (as edited a few minutes ago). I stayed up until past 6 a.m. to finish and get the IC thread posted, at which point I just shut off the computer and went to bed to catch a few hours' sleep at least. Didn't have the energy to plug a detailed roster in the IC thread's intro, but I will add one later.

In-Character Thread is linked here.

All NPCs so far have been posted in this thread, most on this page and Seshani near the bottom of page 6. I'll probably end up moving Just moved Seshani's details to a post on this page just to keep them all bunched up in the same area for easy reference. That, or I'll just open a Rogues' Gallery thread and put all the PCs and NPCs in there. I'll decide later today.

The Updated Roster:
GlassEye.........Angrboda, N female Hu-Charad Giant, Wood Witch
Willette...........Elldar, NG male Forest Gnome, Artificer
rangerjohn.......Falryn, CG male High Elf, Duskblade
HolyMan..........Forge, LG male Human, Paladin
Dragonwriter....Kaznak Valignat Garkuun, LG male Hill Dwarf, Dragonfire Adept
Voda Vosa.......Metliz, CG female Human, Air Shugenja
Theroc............Pyre, male Flamekin, NG Brightsoul

NPC................Jaegar, LN male Hu-Charad Giant, Ritual Warrior
NPC................Seshani, N female Bamboo Spirit Folk, Sha'ir
NPC................Theris Blackhammer, LN female Hill Dwarf, Expert
NPC................Tianulien Amarastaeia, CG female High Elf, Bard

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
NPC: Seshani

Seshani (seh-SHAH-nee), First young adult female Bamboo Spirit Folk
Effective Age 110 years, Height 5'-11", Weight 129 lbs., Neutral Alignment
Divine Patron: Unknown, ECL: 1, XP: 0, Class: Sha'ir 1
Languages: Aquan, Auran, Common, Ignan, Spirit Tongue, Terran

[sblock=Stats]Strength 12, Dexterity 17, Constitution 18, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 12, Charisma 18
HP 8 / 8, Nonlethal 0, AC 13, Touch AC 13, Flat-Footed AC 10
BAB +0, Melee +1, Ranged +3, Grapple +1, Initiative +3
Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +3, Speed 30 ft. (20 ft. medium load)

Skills: Concentration +5 (1 rank, +4 Con), Craft (Tailoring) +10 (4 ranks, +4 Int, +2 tools), Diplomacy +8 (4 ranks, +4 Cha), Hide +3/+7 (0 ranks, +3 Dex, +4 racial in forests/woods), Knowledge (Arcana) +5 (1 rank, +4 Int), Knowledge (Nature) +5 (1 rank cross-class, +4 Int), Knowledge (The Planes) +8 (4 ranks, +4 Int), Sense Motive +2 (1 ranks, +1 Wis), Spellcraft +7 (3 ranks, +4 Int), Survival +4 (1 rank cross-class, +1 Wis, +2 racial), Swim +2/-4 (1 rank cross-class, +1 Str, -0/-6 medium load)

Feats: Spellcasting Prodigy (Sha'ir)

Racial Traits: Medium Humanoid (Spirit), Base Speed 30 ft., Low-Light Vision, +2 Survival, +4 Hide in woods or forests, Trackless Step, +2 save bonus (conditional), Speak With Animals 1/day, Favored Class (highest-level class)

Class Features: Proficiencies (all simple weapons), Summon Gen Familiar (summoned a fire gen named Hassad), Sha'ir Spells (save DC 15/16, can cast 4/2+2 spells per day of 0/1st-level, knows the 0-level spells Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, and Prestidigitation, knows the 1st-level spells Burning Hands, Mage Armor, and Sleep)

Equipment: Club, Dagger, Explorer's Outfit, Bedroll, Spell Component Pouch, Belt Pouch (Dart, Sling, 10 Sling Bullets, Soap), Scroll Case (3 Parchments, Black Ink Vial, 2 Inkpens), Backpack (2 Trail Rations, 4 Waterskins), Sack (Masterwork Tailoring Artisan's Tools, 2-Square-Yard Cloth Bundle, Iron Pot, Tent)

Load 70 lbs. (Medium), Light 43, Medium 86, Heavy 130
Light High 130, Lift Low 260, Push/Pull 650

Source Materials: 3.5 SRD, Oriental Adventures, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Dragon Magazine (issue 315, January 2004, pages 78-83)[/sblock]

Appearance: Seshani is a slightly tall woman, just under six feet, with broad hips and a sturdy, slightly muscular look. She's energetic and graceful, with the gleam of intelligence and mirth in her beautiful, slender, orientally-tilted green eyes, framed by a statuesque face with slightly-pointed ears, a small mouth, slender nose, delicate black eyebrows, and luxurious raven-black hair falling around her shoulders and down to the small of her back. Her skin is a rich, golden tan, smooth and unblemished, her hands delicate and dextrous with short nails. Her voice has a rich, almost sultry pitch, pleasing to the ears. A more-or-less perfect beauty.

Just as startling as Seshani's beauty is the tiny, bronze-skinned man that floats around beside her, no bigger than a housecat, wearing baggy orange pants, curled and pointy golden shoes, a red vest, and a golden sash around his waist. The tiny man has hair of mixed golden blonde and scarlet strands which stand out and waver rapidly like crackling flames. He sheds warmth like a candle and a nimbus of tiny flames sparks to life about him every so often. He speaks with a peculiar accent, when he deigns to speak at all, usually with Seshani.

Seshani wears an incongruous outfit of merely-functional clothes for travel in any weather or terrain, at contrast with her noble beauty. A short, jade-green kimono robe of cotton covers her torso, arms, and thighs, while tan hakima cotton pants cover her legs and are just baggy enough to give her plenty of mobility. High brown-leather boots protect her feet, and leather gloves are carried in one of many outer pockets of her robe. A broad, slightly conical, tightly-woven straw hat shields her head from rain and sun, held on by a thin black string around her chin, when she isn't just carrying the hat in her backpack. A mottled gray, brown, and green raincloak, made to blend in with wilderness terrain, rests over the backpack and her shoulders, tied near her neck and left shoulder with a wooden clasp.

The backpack is a big, sturdy leather construction with some wooden supports inside, stuffed with supplies. A big sack of other supplies is slung over her shoulder when traveling, and a mapcase or scrollcase hangs from her brown-leather belt, alongside a few pouches, a slim aiguchi dagger in a sheath, and a bedroll tied to the back of her belt. Seshani carries a sturdy walking-stick that she can use for self-defense when necessary.

[sblock=Other Details]Background: Seshani's first flickers of awareness were of a warm sensation that was her existence, followed by a soothing sound of waves along the shore and the cool feeling of the water against her skin. Then the solid, yet sandy, earth lying beneath her. And the crisp sea air with its faint scent of brine as she took her first breath. Finally, light and pain, as she opened her eyes and adjusted to the shining sun that soared overhead, a wondrous palette of colors across the sky, sea, and shore. She stood up, and examined herself, her surroundings, and then the pile of objects nearby on the sandy beach. She suddenly felt chilly from the seawater on her skin, and walked further ashore, picking up a large piece of cloth to dry herself.

Slowly, she realized what each of the strange objects on the ground was, and what the natural environment around her was. She understood a few things about herself and her situation, though she was curious about why she didn't know HOW she knew these things. Just that they were so. She knew her name, then. Seshani. A flicker of understanding passed through her again; bamboo sprout. Her name, what it meant. In something called the Spirit Tongue.

It was then that she first heard them. The voices. The excited laughter on the wind. The soothing songs of the sea. The cheery welcomes from the distant sun. The gruff and sort of reluctant mumblings of greeting from the sands. And the sussurating calls of the forest at the beach's edge, beckoning her like long-lost family. Family. She had some idea what it meant, and it was nice, but unclear on why that was so. Nature was calling to her, offering as warm a welcome as could ever be expected from such a primal force. The spirits soothed her, made her feel welcome, and made small-talk with her, though she had little to say herself, new as she was. Seshani donned the clothes that were left for her on the beach, gathering up what she guessed were her possessions, and strode into the bamboo thicket to meet with the forest spirits in their den.

Seshani spent a few days there, and learned a few things, though mostly the spirits just spoke of local matters, gossip, and small things that were only really of interest to themselves. But she listened. Until the voices faded. She learned that they were only allowed to speak with her for the first three days, but she was aware that she could speak with them again someday under the right circumstances. She knew she had a gift of some sort, a personal magic. She gathered some materials that she needed, though again she wasn't sure how she knew, along with a few items that were in her pack and seemingly left just for that purpose. Then Seshani burned the gathered materials on the beach, chanting something vague from memory and dancing around the fire.

Finally, as the fire died down, a tiny figure emerged from it, wearing bright clothes and with hair almost like the flames he stepped out from. The tiny fellow introduced himself as "Hassad, courier and sometimes courtier in the City of Brass." He explained a few things for Seshani, and they worked out the simple terms of their contract. She was empowered to summon "gen" like him and make use of their services, but Hassad would require some compensation later for his service as a courier and advisor.

Seshani has spent the few days since then on wandering the area, exploring and seeking out anyone else that might exist. Her earlier rapport with the nature spirits seemed to indicate such. She spoke with Hassad as she explored, and found him to be a cheerful, amusing companion, at least most of the time. Seshani did find other people, however, after a day or so of walking. She sought out more afterward, learning what she could and making what short-term alliances she could. She was surprised at how the other people reacted to her, embarrassed at the praise of the men and hurt by the envious scorn shown by the women she met.

Seshani was aware that she was in possession of some useful skills, magic, and items. Hassad helped her learn the basics of her magical talents, and she knew that she could make garments better than the traveling clothes that were left with her, if she only had some better materials. She made do with her existing clothes, for now, and at least found them effective in shielding her from the nightly chill, the sun's glare, and the rain that passed by on the fifth day. The tent bundled up among her possessions proved especially handy then, and helped keep many insects away while she rested each night. Seshani helped out the handful of people she met in the fourth through seventh days to establish something of a little community, several tents and lean-tos around a stream that emptied into the sea several miles away. The forest around this stream was slightly different from the bamboo thicket she had first strode through, with trees that she understood to be more common varieties, somehow.

Seshani has plied her natural charm and diplomatic talents to minimize tensions and scuffles within the tiny community so far, but fights have borken out a few times, and an aggressive orc barreled through the camp on the sixth night, causing some trouble before he was driven off, fleeing when the surprised (and mostly sleeping) campers finally rallied to fight him off before he could steal any of their possessions or cause any grevious harm, though a few people suffered minor injuries.

Rolls:
Acid Splash +3 ranged touch (25 ft.) for 1d3 acid damage (20/x2)
Burning Hands 1d4 fire damage, Reflex DC 16 halves, 15-ft. cone-shaped spread
Club +1 melee or +3 ranged (thrown, 10 ft. increment) for 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage (20/x2)
Dagger +1 melee or +3 ranged (thrown, 10 ft. increment) for 1d4+1 piercing or slashing damage (19-20/x2)
Dart +3 ranged (thrown, 20 ft. increment) for 1d4+1 piercing damage (20/x2)
Sling +3 ranged (projectile, 50 ft. increment) for 1d4 bludgeoning damage (20/x2)[/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Minor note. I'll try to be fairly active in the IC thread, but I'm typically rather busy on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, so I'm less likely to post on those days or at least less likely to check/post more than once on those days.

I have some other stuff to do now, so I'll check back here and in the IC thread later tonight.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Arkhandus, you've mentioned that this game is going to be largely player driven. But I'm feeling somewhat hesitant to push things in any particular direction. I guess I'm not really sure of the boundaries. For example, Angrboda has suggested scouting the area towards the hills/mountains. Is that ok? I am kind of reluctant to split the group up. If you prefer we stay in the area of the camp she can easily backtrack and suggest something else, like scouting along the river or trying to track down that dangerous orc, perhaps.

Also, ceremony features prominently in Arcana Evolved. I should have asked this before but can I use that? I mean, can Angrboda use/know the ceremonies in the book or at least somewhat primitive versions that she works out as she figures out what works/feels right?

And finally, I've been using orange for Angrboda's text.

Arkhandus

First Post
Oh yes, it's quite alright to split up the party and have different PCs do different things. This is a PbP, after all, so it's not like everyone else has to sit quietly and wait for the DM to finish something in real-time that involves only a few players. If some PCs stay behind in the camp for now, I'll just keep things happening in the camp at the same time, either in the form of NPC interactions or other events cropping up.

Angrboda and Jaegar are each inherantly familiar with the significance and power of ceremony or ritual (Jaegar has 4 ranks in the KN: Ceremony skill and is a ritual warrior, after all). They'll figure out how to perform any ceremonies they need to along the way. How much they know of any given ceremonies will depend on their ranks in the skill. Jaegar's ranks mean he was created with innate understanding of at least a handful of ceremonies and rituals, and as he gains more ranks in the skill, he'll be working out how to make other ceremonies or rituals that function. Actual mastery of the ceremonies/rituals and ability to put power into them will be what gaining Ceremonial feats or new spells (which are essentially short rituals, after all) represents.

Note that certain Ceremonial feats won't be available to the First Generation for quite a while; for instance, I recall one needing seven giants chanting or something, which won't be possible until Angrboda and Jaegar have five children who've matured enough.

Also, for reference, their Truenames are the names they use now; they aren't really aware of any reason to hide their Truenames yet, and don't yet know of any distinction between those and any other names. It won't matter much among the First Generation since there are so few AU/AE caster-types around who could make use of the knowledge. The same goes for the rest of the First Generationers; their Truenames are the names they use (though a magic-savvy NPC somewhere down the line might realize the power in names and start using an alias to keep his or her Truename secret).

Hassad won't be speaking much, anyway, so it should rarely cause any confusion at the similarity of his text color to Angrboda's...... But if I feel the need to, I'll just switch to using plain bold text for him or something like I do for NPCs in A Hard Time In Harrowdale. I just like the distinctiveness of different text colors for each PC and each long-term NPC.

Remove ads