(3.X D&D/d20) Recruiting: The First (Now OOC)

Arkhandus

First Post
Holly cow! Am I too stupid or you too nitpick? =P Character revised. If I don't add anything else to equipment, is because I don't want to, so that's one less thing for you to worry about.
I *AM* very nitpicky....... :p

But in my defense, it's obsessive-compulsive.

Willette, see last post. I was away from the computer for several hours and kept getting interrupted by family so it took forever.

Current Roster looks like.....
GlassEye...........Angrboda, Female Giant Wood Witch
rangerjohn.........Falryn, Male Elf Duskblade
Voda Vosa.........Metliz, Female Human Air Shugenja
Dragonwriter......Kaznak, Male Dwarf Dragonfire Adept
HolyMan............Forge, Male Human Paladin
Willette.............Elidar, Male Forest Gnome Artificer
Theroc..............?????, Possible Flamekin Brightsoul

That gives us.....1 general spellcaster, 1 offensively-focused warrior-mage, 1 sneaky divine caster with some utility and elemental magic, 1 fire-blaster with minor utility magic (and possibly other energy blast types eventually), 1 holy warrior with minor healing and defensive magic (once Forge hits 2nd or 4th level anyway), 1 special-item-maker with technical skills, and 1 fire-blaster. A reasonable mix, though heavy on the fire-use, and sorta fragile overall.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Apologies if my questions about this is bothersome, but I was wondering: The article mentions the Flamekin needing to be concerned about his 'more fragile' gear when using his flame racial ability and the like.

Can you tell me what sorts of items would be destroyed in the case of my using it? It probably isn't too relevant just yet, since I don't know of too many items I'd need immediately, but I'd like to know for the future.

Arkhandus

First Post
Apologies if my questions about this is bothersome, but I was wondering: The article mentions the Flamekin needing to be concerned about his 'more fragile' gear when using his flame racial ability and the like.

Can you tell me what sorts of items would be destroyed in the case of my using it? It probably isn't too relevant just yet, since I don't know of too many items I'd need immediately, but I'd like to know for the future.
The fire damage applies to items you wear, so it would ignite any flammables or combustibles on your person (paper, cloth, wood, alchemist's fire, etc.). And of course, if the fire damage exceeds the hardness of one of your worn or carried objects, that object will suffer the excess in HP damage. As normal, fire damage is halved against some objects (generally metal, stone, ceramics, and crystal, I would say).

So your Flamekin's clothing would likely just consist of a few pieces of metal, like a hat, maybe gauntlets, and maybe boots. Those few pieces of metal would comprise his or her free starting clothes, and not count towards encumbrance.

Brightsouls get little starting gold, and there's not much they need or can use, anyway. As an Elemental you won't need food or drink. So just tools and combat gear. For reference, a tanglefoot bag, tindertwig, antitoxin vial, alchemist's fire flask, acid flask, or holy water flask would be useless to you; they'd either ignite on contact or get ruined the first time you try an Inner-Flame Burst or whatnot.

**** HOLYMAN: Looks fine, just carrying 93 pounds instead of 91.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Would things like a "Cloak of Charisma" ignite? I know that's a ways in the future, but I'd hate to have the character get stuff like that and then torch it himself. Maybe he'll find a 'heat resistant cloak of charisma' or something.

Just asking as I don't think those items have hardness or HP.

Edit: Come to think of it, I've looked over it several times and failed to find starting gold for the Brightsoul.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Angrboda's Review

I think this is it, finally.
Code:
[size=5][b]Angrboda, Mother of the Hu-Charad[/b][/size]
Class: Wood Witch
Race: Hu-Charad (AE Giant)
Size: Medium
Alignment: N

Str: 20 +5              Level: 1        XP: 0000 / 0000
Dex: 14 +2   (+1 pt.)   BAB: +0         HP: 8 (1d6+2) [color=red]Current: 8[/color]
Con: 14 +2   (+2 pt.)   Grapple: +5     (HP: 9 during Chi-Julud)
Int: 16 +3   (+1 pt.)   Speed: 30'      SF: 10%
Wis: 18 +4              Init: +2
Cha: 13 +1   (+1 pt.)   ACP: -0

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc
[b]Armor[/b]: [size=4]14[/size]           10    +2    +0    +2    +0    +0   (+1)*
  Touch: 12
  Flat-footed: 12
*Luck bonus vs. weapons containing wood.  See Witchery below.

Base   Mod  Misc
Fort:   +2                 0    +2    +0
Ref:    +2                 0    +2    +0
Will:   +6                 2    +4    +0

[b]Weapon[/b]                 Attack   Damage     Critical
Bare fist (nonlethal)    +5       1d3+5        x2
Javelin                  +2       1d6+5        x2     30 ft. increment
Living Blade (Greatsword)+5       2d6+7*    19-20/x2
*2d6+11 against nonliving targets

(Chi-Julud Living Blade  +9       2d6+13    19-20/x2)

[b]Languages[/b]: Common, Giant (+3)
Just remember to pick your 3 bonus languages.

GlassEye said:
Code:
[b]ABILITIES[/b]:
[u]Hu-Charad Base Abilities[/u]
- Ability modifiers: +2 Str, -2 Dex
- Giant type 
- Medium size
- +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy, Sense Motive, & Craft

[u]Witch Abilities[/u]
- Proficient with simple weapons, light armor, shields
- Witchery: If attacked by a ranged or melee weapon containing wood, 
the wood witch gains a +1 luck bonus to Armor Class.
- Living Blade: The wood witch creates a short sword, longsword,
or greatsword out of wood. The witch is proficient with the blade,
which operates in all ways like a normal sword except that it
inflicts upon nonliving targets additional damage equal to the
witch’s Wisdom bonus per hit; witches with no Wisdom bonus
gain no benefit from this ability. Only the witch who created it
can use the sword. He can create it at will, requiring a standard
action. The sword disappears when out of the witch’s grasp.

[u]Spells[/u] (any simple available) DC 14 +spell level
0 lv. Spell slots – 3
1st lv. Spell slots – 1
Spells readied:
0 level: Canny Effort, Contact, Sense Thoughts
1st level: Compelling Command (compulsion)
-- material components required or casting time doubled, without
somantic/verbal components double casting time again

[b]Feats[/b]:
Chi-Julud (Ceremonial) AE pg. 131  [full round, DC 15 Concentration to
achieve]
Born Leader (Talent) +4 Diplomacy; +1 DC to compulsion spells/spell-like
abilities.

Skill Points: 28       Max Ranks: 4/2
[b]Skills[/b]                     Total  Ranks  Mod  Misc
Concentration                +6     4    +2
Craft (Stonemasonry)         +7     2    +3    +2 (racial)
Craft (Tattoo)               +9     4    +3    +2 (racial)
Diplomacy                    +7     0    +1    +2 (racial) +4 (talent)
Knowledge (Architecture)     +5     2    +3 
Knowledge (Ceremony)         +7     4    +3
Knowledge (Giant)            +5     0    +3    +2 (racial)
Knowledge (Nature)           +7     4    +3
Sense Motive                 +10    4    +4    +2 (racial)
Survival                     +8     4    +4

(During Chi-Julud, the following skills alter to have a new total as listed:
Concentration +7; Diplomacy +6; Sense Motive +6; Survival +4)

[b]Equipment[/b]:                      Cost  Weight
Javelin (x3)                     3g     6 lbs.
Leather Jack                    10g    15 lbs.
Explorer’s outfit (worn)        10g     --

Witchbag (component pouch)       5g     3 lbs.
Backpack                         2g     2 lbs.
-Bedroll                         1s     5 lbs.
-Blanket, winter                 5s     3 lbs.
-Rations (10 days)              50s   10 lbs.
-Waterskin (x3)                  3g    12 lbs.
-Soap                            5s     1 lbs.
-Artisan’s tools (stonemason)    5g     5 lbs.
-Block & tackle                  5g     5 lbs.
-Rope, silk (50 ft.)            10g     5 lbs.
-Artisan’s tools (tattoo)        5g     5 lbs.
-Fishing net                     4g     5 lbs.
-Iron pot                        5s     2 lbs.
-Shovel                          2g     8 lbs.

Pouch, belt                      1g    .5 lbs.
-Flint & Steel                   1g
-Whetstone                       2c     1 lbs.

Chickens (20)                   40c
Pigs (10)                       30g  
Goats (10)                      10g

Barrel                           2g    30 lbs.
-Canvas (7x7 yards)             49s    49 lbs.
-Salt, 5 lbs.                    25g
-Seed stock, 20 lbs.              ?

Iron, 50 lbs.                   50s

Total Weight: 93.5 lb

Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push
Load:                      133   266   400

Background:
6’9”
236 lbs.
You spend 139 gold, 8 silver, and 2 copper, so that leaves 60 gold, 1 silver, and 8 copper for anything else Angrboda might enter play with. As for the seed stock, just let me know what kind of seeds you're expecting her to start with and I'll make a rough guess based on the appropriate type of food (probably as listed in the Arms & Equipment Guide for D&D 3.5, since it has many foods listed, just not any seed prices, dangit).

Angrboda's carrying 97-1/2 pounds, excluding the barrel of stuff, iron, and farm animals.

For reference, from what's in AE/AU, it appears that the average giant would be age 62 or thereabouts when they start adventuring (since they mature slowly compared to humans). So we'll assume Angrboda is 60 years old, physically and mentally upon first awakening anyway.

Work out some basic personality/background/appearance descriptions and Angrboda's finished.

Arkhandus

First Post
Would things like a "Cloak of Charisma" ignite? I know that's a ways in the future, but I'd hate to have the character get stuff like that and then torch it himself. Maybe he'll find a 'heat resistant cloak of charisma' or something.

Just asking as I don't think those items have hardness or HP.

Edit: Come to think of it, I've looked over it several times and failed to find starting gold for the Brightsoul.
Yes, a Claok of Charisma would catch on fire and burn. Its hardness and HP would be based on its material, though I'd have to check to see if non-weapon non-armor magic items get any extra (I know that magic weapons/armor get a bonus based on their enhancement to attacks or AC).

Most likely, if he wants such an item, he'll need to get a magic-item-crafter to produce a different charisma-boosting item that's more durable, like a Medallion of Charisma or something, though it might cost double. That's a ways in the future though.

Brightsoul starting gold in this game will be as per a Monk, since no mention of it is in the PDF and it's the closest parallel I can draw. So 20 gold pieces to spend at character creation in this case.

Theroc

First Post
Here is Pyre's crunch, I don't have the appearance and biography done yet, wanted to clear the crunch first.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Pyre
[B]Class:[/B] Brightsoul
[B]Race:[/B] Flamekin
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Type:[/B] Elemental
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Neutral Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Unknown

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 18 +4            [B]BAB:[/B] +0         [B]HP:[/B] 11 (1d8+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 17 +3            [B]Grapple:[/B] +2     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] None
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1            [B]Init:[/B] +4        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 20 +5            [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +0    +0    +4    +0    +0    +0    14
[B]Touch:[/B] 14              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +3          +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +4          +4
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +1          +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Shortsword                +2     1d6+2      19-20x2
Morningstar               +2     1d8+2      20-20x2
Shortspear(Melee)         +2     1d6+2      20-20x2
Shortspear(Ranged)        +4     1d6+2      20-20x2

Note: Morningstar and Shortspear can both be held with both hands, allowing for an additional point of damage from strength, making it 1d6+3, rather than 1d6+2.

Shortspear Range Increment: 20 feet

[B]Languages:[/B] Flamekin, Common, Ignan, Terran

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
[I]Elemental Type[/I]
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose.
Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental.
It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
Proficient with natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. 
Elementals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Elementals are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

[I]Flamekin Race[/I]
Fire Resistance 5, increases 5 every 7 levels(Immune at 20th)
Vulnerable to Cold(Take 50% more cold damage)

[U]Weakness to Water[/U]
Any water-based attack that deals damage to the flamekin deals half again as much untyped damage to the flamekin.
In addition, simply touching water deals 1 damage, while a bucket of water dumped on the flamekin deals 1d6 damage.
A flamekin’s fiery body evaporates the water immediately, preventing any additional damage.
A flamekin exposed to rain takes 1d6 damage each round, although a drizzle may deal only 1 damage per round instead.
A completely submerged flamekin takes 2d6 damage each round and must make a DC 15+1/round submerged Fort save to remain conscious.

Heat of the Flames: Can ignite body to deal additional unarmed damage or continual damage in a grapple.  Increases based on level.  Begins at 1 damage.

Body grants torchlike illumination and a -6 penalty on hide checks.  Can be suppressed.

[I]Brightsoul Class[/I]
Inner-flame Nova (Su): As a standard action, the flamekin brightsoul can flare up his inner flame,
expanding it to a burst 5 ft. around him. The inner-flame nova deals damage to each creature
in the area equal to the brightsoul’s flamekin racial Heat of the Flames fire damage bonus, multiplied by
the brightsoul’s Cha modifier (minimum 1). A successful Reflex save at DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Con modifier
halves the damage.  Once used, inner-flame nova cannot be used again for 1d4 rounds.

Surges: Flamekin may select surges from spells of the Fire (or Light by DM permission) descriptor,
or from manuevers from the Desert Wind School from the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.
Treat the Brightsoul's class level as it's caster level and initiator level for the purposes of selection.  If a Surge grants a saving throw, it's DC is 10+Surge Level+Cha modifier.

[B]Feats:[/B] Point Blank Shot

[B]Surges Known:[/B]
Level 0: Flare, Dancing Lights (Spell-like abilities)
Level 1: Burning Hands (Spell)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 24       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Climb                      4    +2          +6
Concentration              4    +3          +7
Diplomacy                  2    +5          +7
Jump                       4    +2          +6
Gather Information         2    +5          +7
Spot                       4    +1          +5
Tumble                     4    +4          +8

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Shortsword               10gp   02lb
Morningstar              08gp   06lb
Shortspear(x2)           02gp   06lb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]14lb      [B]Money:[/B] 0gp XXsp XXcp

[B]Light   Medium   Heavy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               58   59-116  117-233   466   1165

[B]Age:[/B] 14 
[B]Height:[/B] 6'05"
[B]Weight:[/B] 350lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Violet
[B]Hair:[/B] Blue
[B]Skin:[/B] Black
Appearance: Pyre appears unusual compared to many other races, his form composed of earth and flame. A living volcano, if you will. Violet flames peer from within a granite face like eyes, his form crackling with crimson, azure or even indigo flames on occasion. Adorning his waist was a metallic belt which covered a larger area than usual, of a gilded nature. Similarly, his wrists were adorned with elaborate gauntlets. However, no cloth touched his body.

Background:
Pyre awoke in a dark cave. While he could see without any difficulty, he felt uncomfortable. He knew it was because of the lack of light, the lack of fire... and so, he reached for something which he somehow knew would burn, and willed his hand to be hot, causing the item to burst into flames as he tossed it aside. The flames spread a bit in the cave, burning for a short while as Pyre wandered toward the light. While he knew many things, he did not know his purpose, nor why he felt drawn to the light.

However, he wanted to know. He felt a burning drive to bring light to darkness... and a desire to burn... to burn as hot as he could, but most of all, an overwhelming desire to KNOW.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Just remember to pick your 3 bonus languages.

You spend 139 gold, 8 silver, and 2 copper, so that leaves 60 gold, 1 silver, and 8 copper for anything else Angrboda might enter play with. As for the seed stock, just let me know what kind of seeds you're expecting her to start with and I'll make a rough guess based on the appropriate type of food (probably as listed in the Arms & Equipment Guide for D&D 3.5, since it has many foods listed, just not any seed prices, dangit).

Angrboda's carrying 97-1/2 pounds, excluding the barrel of stuff, iron, and farm animals.

For reference, from what's in AE/AU, it appears that the average giant would be age 62 or thereabouts when they start adventuring (since they mature slowly compared to humans). So we'll assume Angrboda is 60 years old, physically and mentally upon first awakening anyway.

Work out some basic personality/background/appearance descriptions and Angrboda's finished.

Updated Angrboda's sheet:
Added Dwarven, Elven, & Orc languages.
The seeds I would like would be for root vegetables like beets, turnips, carrots, onions.
If she has money left over then I'll just let it go. I think I have everything (plus some) that I'll need.
Corrected her weight carried.
Added age.

Personality and appearance coming soon...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases