(3.X D&D/d20) Recruiting: The First (Now OOC)

Arkhandus

First Post
As to ways to improv artificer past 10th or decide on abilities, LINK REMOVED BY ARK, has all kinds of info on artificer stuff both class and infusions/spells, etc. if you have no moral issues with using it as i'm not sure on the legality.
That website is entirely ILLEGAL. I've made it clear at least once or twice in this thread that I won't touch illegally reproduced content. PERIOD. Please edit your post to remove the name and link. Only because you are new will I *not* ban you from my game for suggesting I use that site, out of consideration for your newness and probably having just not bothered reading the one or two times I've mentioned that suggesting illegal copies to me is a bannable offense in my games. Please do not mention it again.

Arkhandus

First Post
Right on! I read through that class and seems fine to me. Only thing i'm wondering is as far as feats would i receive none other than skill focus and master crafter or can i have a starting feat and then progress along the class lines from there?

*space inserted by Ark for readability and his own sanity*

Like i said i'm new so i'm not sure but this is my only real concern as i'm wondering with this being a prestige class some character development is already assumed so would i end up underpowered. There are feats and spell lists in that eberron campaign setting guide i have so if we were to go beyond 10th level i could get you the necessary pages from that for further feat/spell ideas.

*ditto*

And along the lines of my feats question are any of the craft item feats necessary with this guy or does the "devices" field pretty much cover anything from enhancing a weapon to rings, etc.? Also wondering about constructs but that can be discussed as it becomes necessary.
I'm just gonna change the Gnome Artificer into a base class Artificer for this game. That means no prerequisites. Take whatever feat you like at 1st-level (mind you, it seems like we'll already have 2 human PCs in the group, so another human PC is not acceptable for this campaign as detailed in the first post of the thread). The only feats that the class will give you are Skill Focus (Disable Device) at 3rd-level, as normal for its progression, and some other Skill Foci at the new upper levels.

I don't have access to any book with this "master crafter" feat you mention, so it is not available.

Although it is a prestige class, Gnome Artificer is a weak one. It effectively starts off as a 1st-level spellcaster equivalent, gradually becoming an 8th-level caster equivalent, with a bit of bard-like mediocre physical stats and skills. And since I'm changing it into a base class, And no, feats from Eberron are not available in this campaign, it is not listed among my allowed sourcebooks because I don't have it. You can take feats from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book and Magic of Faerun book, though few of them are particularly suited to the Gnome Artificer.

If traps start showing up in the campaign (and I'm pretty sure I'll have them crop up at some point), you might consider taking a level of Rogue later for their Trapfinding ability (since Gnome Artificers have no such ability, though they do have Disable Device and Search as class skills). And some ranks in Open Lock from a Rogue level might help at some point.

My basic consideration of this Artificer class beyond 10th-level is like so:
Level....BAB..............Fort...Ref...Will....Special
11.......+8/+3...........+3.....+7.....+3.....Magicraft
12.......+9/+4...........+4.....+8.....+4.....Bonus Item
13.......+9/+4...........+4.....+8.....+4.....Skill Focus
14.......+10/+5.........+4.....+9.....+4.....Bonus Item
15.......+11/+6/+1.....+5....+9.....+5.....Skill Focus
16.......+12/+7/+2.....+5....+10....+5.....Bonus Item
17.......+12/+7/+2.....+5....+10....+5.....Skill Focus
18.......+13/+8/+3.....+6....+11....+6.....Bonus Item
19.......+14/+9/+4.....+6....+11....+6.....Skill Focus
20.......+15/+10/+5....+6....+12....+6.....Bonus Item
I'll also add some higher-level device powers for them to learn, but only emulating certain spells of up to 7th or 8th level at maximum (probably 7th, though). The upper-level Skill Focus feats will be for any Artificer class skill each time.

Magicraft will let them create Artificer Items with the save DC determined by their actual Intelligence bonus rather than the minimum needed for spells of each device power's level, allow them to take metamagic feats as though they were a spellcaster of their Artificer level, allow them to use metamagic feats in the creation of their Artificer Items, and make Use Magic Device a new class skill for them. I'll finalize this when I get around to finishing the Gnome Artificer-into-base-class-Artificer setup.

I might have Magicraft add some additional spells for them to emulate with device powers, but not sure yet. I'm thinking a few curative spells might be emulatable that way, with quasi-magical ointment dispensers, herbal sprays, etc. If I deem it necessary when finishing the revised class' details, I'll split Magicraft into two different abilities for 11th and 13th level.

Arkhandus

First Post
actually after looking at that again i think that first artificer item at level one means a free first item and then the bonus items are simply a continuation of that trend but i'm not sure. also would it be a good idea for me to have pen paper ink etc as i may have to learn device powers and such?
No, the Artificer Item ability gained at 1st-level is just the ABILITY to create artificer items with known device powers. But yes, you should start with an inkpen, a vial of ink, and some sheets of paper or parchment among your starting gear. You would probably want a lot of paper/parchment and ink, since your PC would need to work out blueprints and other design work as he or she develops his or her plans for each device.

Arkhandus

First Post
Bihlbo said:
Actually, I'm going to pass on the opportunity to be in this game. I don't feel confident in my abilities to wade through all of the options and make use of various books, keeping everything straight, and do all of this while enjoying the game. Good luck!
Dang!
Well, it's not like ya need to use everything, heh..... I'll be trying to make interesting NPCs and challenges for this game, but I won't be munchkinizing them, so I'll only be using 1-3 books at most for any given NPC (generally one for race, one for class, and maybe a third for feats/spells/PrCs). Mostly it'll just be me, the DM, keeping everything straight between the different sources. Like I said, I've been working on two other campaign ideas for months that use these source materials mixed together.

rangerjohn said:
I know someone who would like to play a monk. He also likes to play females, so you may get your couple
Apparently not, if Bihlbo's dropping out..... :(

rangerjohn said:
Arkhandus Falryn's correct sheet is the second one on page 2. Sorry for the confusion, I can't always edit a sheet for some reason. I was also confused about npcs, I thought they were outside the player limitation. Anyhow, updated
sheet and background.
NO, that sheet also had mistakes, and there's really no need to post a NEW version of the sheet......all you have to do is edit the original version. I don't want to have to refer to a sheet that's in quotation blocks and stuff with the picture duplicated too. So please edit the original post of your character sheet, according to my analysis of the tweaks needed. It's not much for Falryn to change.

NPCs are not outside the player limitation. There are only 2 members of each race in the First Generation, period. One male, one female. And if you can't edit your sheet, just make sure you're logged in first, and click the "Remember Me" checkbox when logging in, so it doesn't automatically log you out when inactive for an extended period (not posting/opening thread pages).

GlassEye said:
Sorry I haven't gotten my pc completed and posted yet. Exams this week have seriously cut into my free time. I'm still working on it...

Also, I've been looking at the ceremonial feat Chi-Julud. Would a feat like this, that mentions a ceremony performed by seven giants, disqualify it from use?
That's fine, the game probably won't start until some time next week, after all the characters have been finalized (so early or late next week depending on when everyone's ready).

Chi-Julud is fine for a starting feat. Assume your deity created you with knowledge of your Truename and the power of that feat, as well as the knowledge of how to perform the ceremony for later generations of Giants.

GlassEye said:
FYI, my concept: Angrboda, a female Giant wood witch. Very much the earthy, mystical, 'treehugger' type until she gets angry. If Chi-Julud is ok, that is... If not, I might need some minor adjustment in the details but otherwise all should be fine.
Cool. :p

Dragonwriter

First Post
Okay, I think I've got my character done. I put all the effects of the Dragontouched feat in the "Special Abilities: Other" section. So here's Kaznak Valignat Garkuun

[sblock=Kaznak]
Name: Kaznak Valignat Garkuun
Player: Dragonwriter

Race: Dwarf (dragonblood subtype)
Class: Dragonfire Adept
Level: 1
ECL: +0 mod/total 1
XPs: 0 current/1000 next level

Patron God: Bahamut
Alignment: Lawful Good
===================================
Str: 14 (12 +2 points)
Dex: 16 (15 +1 point)
Con: 20 (18 +2 race)
Int: 18 (18)
Wis: 13 (12 +1 points)
Cha: 14 (15 +1 point -2 race)
HP: 14 (d8+5+1)
AC: 16 (+3 Dex, +0 Size, +3 Armor, +0 Shield)
Init: +7
Speed: 20 feet
BAB: +0
Mel: +2-1
Rng: +3-1
Fort: +7
Refl: +3
Will: +3
Special Abilities
Race: Medium size, Speed 20 ft. unaffected by armor or weight, Darkvision 60 ft, Stonecunning, Weapon Familiarity: Dwarven Urgosh and Waraxe, Stability, +2 racial bonus on saves against poison, +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like effects, +1 bonus on attacks against orcs and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus against Giants, +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal items.

Class: Dragontouched bonus feat, least invocations, breath weapon (1d6, 15-foot cone or 30-foot line at-will, Reflex DC 15 half)

Other: +1 bonus on Listen, Search and Spot, +1 HP, +1 bonus on saves against paralysis and sleep effects, dragonblood subtype (Dragontouched feat)

Feats: Dragontouched (bonus), Improved Initiative

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon, Draconic

Skills (4 + Int bonus per level, x4 at 1st level)
Trained or Untrained: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Appraise +6 (=2+4+0) (+2 for stone or metal)
Diplomacy +6 (=4+2+0)
Listen +6 (=4+1+1)
Search +7 (=2+4+1)
Sense Motive +5 (=4+1+0)
Spot +6 (=4+1+1)

Trained Only: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Craft (weaponsmithing) +6 (=2+4+0) (+2 for stone or metal)
Craft (brewing) +5 (=1+4+0)
Knowledge (arcana) +6 (=2+4+0)
Knowledge (religion) +6 (=2+4+0)
Knowledge (nature) +6 (=2+4+0)
Speak Language (list languages, 1 per rank): Draconic
Use Magic Device +4 (=2+2+0)
Equipment:
Weapons: 5 Shortspears +1 melee or +2 ranged (1d6+2, 1d6+3 two-handed, x2, piercing, 20 ft. range, 3 lbs, 1 GP ea),
2 daggers +2 melee (1d4+2, 19-20/x2, slashing or piercing, 10 ft. range, 1 lb, 2 GP ea)

Armor, Clothes: Studded Leather Armor (+3 AC, Max DEX +5, -1 ACP, 15% ASF, 20 lbs, 25GP), Explorer’s Outfit, signal whistle around neck

-----------------------------------
Container: Backpack

Contents: Bedroll, 50 feet of silk rope, 2 artisan’s tools, 14 days of trail rations, 3 waterskins, clay jug filled with a gallon of ale, empty sack

Container: Belt Pouch

Contents: 1 waterskin, 1 flask of acid

Container: Sack

Contents: 3 loaves of bread, 5 chunks of cheese, 3 chunks of meat

-----------------------------------
Load
Light: 0-58 lbs.
Medium: 59-116 lbs.
Heavy: 117-175 lbs.
Current: 109 lbs.
Invocations
Caster Level: 1
Least Invocations: Endure Exposure
Lesser Invocations:
Greater Invocations:
Dark Invocations:
Description (include Age, gender, height, weight, physical description):
Kaznak was created with straight, close-cropped and coarse fiery red hair to go with his unusually pale skin. Despite only having existed for a period of a few days, he looks to be a fully-formed adult hill dwarf of age 40. He stands at about 4’4” and looks to weigh about 150 pounds, underneath his gear. His beard juts straight down from his chin to the middle of his chest, and he’s learned to tie and braid it to keep it down and under control, which was very helpful when he learned just what his god-granted talent was…

Kaznak’s god created him without a way to make himself warm or comfortable when the cold of night came about, which greatly annoyed the displaced new dwarf. So, when trying to light a small fire from wood he had collected and piled together, his frustrations reached their boiling point until he began shouting angrily at the wood. Much to his surprise, a gout of flames burst from his mouth during his rant, igniting the small pile (and nearly setting his beard on fire)! It was then that his god spoke to him, saying, “Kaznak, this is my gift to you, my creation. Use it well, use it as my other children will, to defend the weak and helpless and burn evil to a cinder. As another gift, you will be able to shield yourself and any you meet from your cleansing breath and also from the cold. Be warm, my child, and be safe,” and with that, the voice was gone. But in the message was a slight amount of buried knowledge… The name of the speaking god, the name of Bahamut. And with that knowledge came some understanding, and so Kaznak set out from the small glade he had called home for a day or two to find others.

In the few days since then, Kaznak’s clothes have gotten a little torn, but they show no real sign of weather-wear. His face is cheerful and his dark brown eyes are usually wandering, picking out little details in his surroundings. However, the dwarf does have 5 small spears strapped to his back, over his right shoulder, and he wears a suit of studded leather armor that looks rather sturdy.
[/sblock]

I'll PM you the Dragontouched feat and Endure Exposure invocation.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
That website is entirely ILLEGAL. I've made it clear at least once or twice in this thread that I won't touch illegally reproduced content. PERIOD. Please edit your post to remove the name and link. Only because you are new will I *not* ban you from my game for suggesting I use that site, out of consideration for your newness and probably having just not bothered reading the one or two times I've mentioned that suggesting illegal copies to me is a bannable offense in my games. Please do not mention it again.

I don't think the site is illegal, it distills uncopywriteable rules and does not copy stuff verbatim in violation of copywrite as far as I can tell. For instance it tells you the game stats and rule information on warlocks and warlock powers but is not a pdf of Complete Arcane, screenshots of the CA section on warlocks or even a direct transcription copy of the text from CA.

Theroc

First Post
So, to clarify for myself: You approve of anything garnered from the Wizards website, as well as anything you can access?

If this is correct, I've an idea I'd like to try, if your game has room. Most of it comes from the SRD or wizards 3.5 material, but the race and class comes from Enworld's download section.

Fissionessence (I believe that's how it's spelled) created a Flamekin race and an associated racial class I'd like to try. They are the second page of enworld's download section, I believe for free.

Arkhandus

First Post
I guess I'll see what's in the downloads section, but I can't say if it's anything I can download for free or would approve for the game necessarily. I'll check though.

Theroc

First Post
I guess I'll see what's in the downloads section, but I can't say if it's anything I can download for free or would approve for the game necessarily. I'll check though.

Well, worst that happens is you don't approve. Though, I'm about 99% certain it's free. If it isn't, I'll be surprised when I receive a bill, since there was no warning nor account information sought.

Remove ads