New NPC Personality and Background Generator

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post

New NPC Personality and Background Generator

Hi all.

Attached to this post is a NPC personality and background generator I put together. I'm putting together a campaign that's starting in a week, and the last thing I had on my plate was bringing some of locations to life with some NPCs. I looked around for a while for NPC generators, but didn't find anything I really liked. I came across Ashĺs Guide to RPG Personality & Background (found at Ash Guide to RPG Personality & Background :: The Guide) and realized that was the framework I wanted for my NPCs. So, I put together this app to take a good portion of his approach (along with a few extra things I put in). The result is the ability to create a full NPC background and personality framework in 1 click:

Name: Geoffrey
    Socioeconomic Class: Upper Middle Class Reputation: Unknown

Primary Motivator: Discovery/Adventure - To explore, uncover mysteries, and pioneer
    Emotional Disposition: Apathetic Moodiness: Ever Changing

Quirks: Eavesdropping, Hair pulling, Sleeping in odd places
    Hobbies: Horse riding, Invention, Storytelling, Boating/Sailing

Core Traits:
    Affinity: Cold - self absorbed, needy, greedy, stingy, uncaring
    Boldness: Cautious - timid, paranoid, vigilant
    Comportment: Discordant - gruff, critical, arrogant, crude, defensive, sanctimonious
    Conformity: Conventional - orthodox, formal, down-to-earth, mainstream, traditional
    Disclosure: Secretive - closed, mysterious, evasive, cryptic
    Flexibility: Flexible - nonchalant, tolerant, forgiving, open-minded, adaptable
    Impulsiveness: Spontaneous - capricious, flighty, hyperactive, rash
    Integrity: Unscrupulous - lazy, deceitful, unreliable, manipulative, slipshod, impractical
    Interactivity: Extrovert - engaging, talkative, listener, entertaining, touchy
    Outlook: Pessimistic - cynical, bleak, distrustful, foreboding, resigned

Religious Details:
    Association: Church - Generally an established, hierarchical organization
    Adherence: Orthodox Adherent
    Expression Of Beliefs: Constant
    Tolerance: Tolerant

Some of the features include:

• Picking origin of name like Dwarf, Evil Elf, Arthurian, High Elf, Egyptian, etc.
    • Opting to keep certain values you like, so when you 'Generate' again, those values are not re-randomized.
    • Picking how many Quirks you want to be generated
    • Picking how many Hobbies you want to be generated
    • A separate window to allow you to copy and past your generated NPC.

NEW UPDATES 10/06/2009

• Added random age along with the ability to choose lifespan based on type.
    • Added the ability to generate up to 99 NPCs at once. There's a new button that takes in the number you input and will create that many NPCs and output it to the window that opens. If you hit Cntl-G on the window, all NPCs are coppied to your clipboard and you can paste them anywhere. Now you can generate a whole section of town in a few seconds if you wanted to.
    • Added two options for displaying NPCs on the print out. You can now choose to see the Core Traits and/or Religion section or not.

The attached file is just a .zip with an .exe in it - no install for now. It's built using the same technology as the DnD builder is, so if you have that, all of the reqs are already in place for you to be able to run this without the install. If people want it and have issues with just the straight .exe, I'll build an install for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bobcat_grad; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Scout (Lvl 6)

° Ignore Markn
    That's pretty cool! I'll be using this a lot. Thanks for posting!

Superhero (Lvl 15)

° Ignore keterys
    Nifty. Thanks.

Update...

Ignore this - just fixed and updated the first one now.
    Last edited by bobcat_grad; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Update II

Realized how I could update the first post's attachment. This post is obsolete now.
    Last edited by bobcat_grad; Wednesday, 7th October, 2009 at 05:26 AM.

Defender (Lvl 8)

GM's DayKobold PressGoodman GamesKickstarterENniesGygax Memorial FundColumnist

° Ignore Neuroglyph
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat_grad View Post

Attached to this post is a NPC personality and background generator I put together. I'm putting together a campaign that's starting in a week, and the last thing I had on my plate was bringing some of locations to life with some NPCs. I looked around for a while for NPC generators, but didn't find anything I really liked. I came across Ashĺs Guide to RPG Personality & Background (found at Ash Guide to RPG Personality & Background :: The Guide) and realized that was the framework I wanted for my NPCs.

I love this for NPCs but am a bit troubled that Ash's Guide is meant to "randomly" create a PC personality as well. Been playing RPGs for over 30 years and have never had a problem coming up with a personality for my alter-egos. You could randomly end up with a personality so distantly removed from your own that role-playing it would actually be unenjoyable.

Although as an excercise, it could be interesting to play a short campaign with a random persona.

But anyways, well done on the NPC Persona Generator... will be using it in my campaign
    Life is the game that must be played. ~Edwin Arlington Robinson
    ...but who the heck is DM'ing?

For additional 4E Reviews, News, and More, check out:

Follow Neuroglyph Games on Twitter: @neuroglyph

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroglyph View Post
    I love this for NPCs but am a bit troubled that Ash's Guide is meant to "randomly" create a PC personality as well. Been playing RPGs for over 30 years and have never had a problem coming up with a personality for my alter-egos. You could randomly end up with a personality so distantly removed from your own that role-playing it would actually be unenjoyable.

Although as an excercise, it could be interesting to play a short campaign with a random persona.

But anyways, well done on the NPC Persona Generator... will be using it in my campaign
    Oh - don't get me wrong, I would never use this for random generation for my own PC. Rather, I'd use this when I would need to create a bunch of NPCs quickly for a town or village.

I wrote this as I was prepping for a campaign I'm running starting this week. I wanted to have a bunch of NPCs on hand from different races for the just-in-case situation.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore Otakkun
    My communities:

Wow, just wow.

This is one damn good tool for NPC creation. Had been browsing the web for about half and hour when I found it, and it's superior to everything else I've found.

I just thought it would be worth the necro to thank you for your work, and hopefully it will also lead others to use it, I know I'm keeping it in my online hard drive
    L4W: Shrakk| L4W: Ianward Milner| LEB: Garrick d'Orien| LEB: Kaelan| LFP: Xan Millstone

• + Log in or register to post