[OOC] A Paid Trip to Spellhold

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Hey all, VV invited me to join.

Working on a Fighter build, Guardian type
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=222712http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=222712

This is my first time playing 4e (3.5 and d20 veteran), but I play Star Wars Saga, so some of the differences from d20 I am familiar with. Others not so much.

The sheet I have so far is my first draft and I am looking for assistance to improve it. Specifically in regards to Power Selection, Feats and Magic Items. Then I can tackle the equipment (how much money to spend?).

I was considering taking Shielded Sides as an Encounter Utility Power at level 2 instead. Also not sure about Sweeping Blow versus Shield Slam at level 3 either.

I spent my +2 to Ability Scores for being human on either Str or Dex, doesn't matter which for the cost buy-in. I was thinking I needed higher Dex for the Feat Dragging Flail, but not really sure if that's a good idea. Basically I was thinking of a guy that trips an opponent with his flail and bashes his brains in. But in Platemail maybe the Dex should be dropped down and I need to more in Str, Con, and Wis.

Much help would be appreciated.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Yes, mostly Str and Con for a shield guardian fighter, also a high Con helps when wielding axes and hammers.

I'll give you this summary of a similar charcter I made once

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mondel Darkbark, level 5
Dwarf, Fighter
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Enlisted Soldier (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 19, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 18 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 58 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +6, Endurance +13, Athletics +8, Nature +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Perception +4, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Defender of the Wild
Level 2: Shield the Fallen
Level 4: Sudden Roots

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Resolute Shield
Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
Fighter daily 1: Unstoppable Advance
Fighter utility 2: Unstoppable
Fighter encounter 3: Shield Edge Block
Fighter daily 5: Crack the Shell

ITEMS
Battleaxe, Heavy Shield, Scale Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20), Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Velmont

First Post
Str is good for all Figther. I suggest you start with 18. That's both increase your chance to hit and your damage. As most power need you to hit to have any effect, having a high attack bonus (and thus Str), is always welcome.

Sweeping Blow is a popular power. Bonus to attack, attack more than one target, mark all of them, pretty good.

Shield Slam, what annoy me, it is you target Fortitude (Strongest defense in many monster, even more than AC, and almost never the weakest, so tough to hit) and you don't get any bonus from your weapon. I never tried it, but I always felt shield power are weaker than the average power. But that's more an opinion than a fact. Also, you could always retrain it if you don't like it.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Ok, adjusted the ability scores.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=222712

For background: Can I use Cormyr from Forgotten Realms Players Guide?

Also any feedback on the feats I choose. I was looking at using a flail to trip opponents, but I don't see how that's done in 4ed.
Maybe that's not a good idea then for Weapon Focus. Also is Platemail worth it? What about Quick Draw? Maybe I should take Power Attack.

I was also having trouble finding some of the powers you mentioned VV to compare. Specifically:
Fighter at-will 1: Resolute Shield
Fighter daily 1: Unstoppable Advance
Fighter encounter 3: Shield Edge Block

Thanks for any other feedback anyone can provide.

Velmont

First Post
Any background is allowed, as long as the bonus it gives you is among these choice:

A) +2 to a single skill
B) Gain access as a skill as a class skill
C) Give you a new language

Velmont

First Post
Resolute Shield is a good defensive at-will if you have a good Con (at least 16 I would say), as it gives you Resist [Con] UEoNT if you hit.

Unstoppable Advance can be a fun daily I think. It is a stance that allow you to push 1 square any enemy you hit and then to shift into teh square vacated by the enemy.

If you are using a shield, another I find interesting is Press of Steel. It does 2[W] and if you are wielding a shield and the target is next to a blocking terrain (like a wall), the enemy is restrain (save end). If you miss, half damage and if the enemy if next to a blocking terrain, he is immobilized UEoNT.

Shield Edge Block: This is another attack with the shield that disallow the bonus from your weapon and target Fortitude. As I told, I am not a big fan of them (that's my opinion), but that one seems more interesting as it is a immediate interrupt. Trigger is an enemy adjacent to you hit or miss you with a close or melee attack. Str+2 vs Fort. If you hit, the target takes 2d6 + Str damage. Also (here the very interesting thing), it also have an effect (so no need to hit) and the target takes -4 to his attack roll for the triggering attack. Which mean if you are hit by 4 or less, the enemy miss. Because of that effect, I would prefer it from Shield Slam.

Also, as you are using a shield, I would suggest to consider the at-will Shield Feint. That power, when you hit, gives you +3 to your next attack roll against that target. Pretty good if you want to place a daily or encounter next round.

But over my opinion, takes what you want. Remember you can retrain your powers if you don't like your choice.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Thank's Velmont. Any thoughts on which is better; Reaping Strike or Resolute Shield?
Also any feedback on the feats I choose. I was looking at using a flail to trip opponents, but I don't see how that's done in 4ed.
Maybe that's not a good idea then for Weapon Focus. Also is Platemail worth it? What about Quick Draw? Maybe I should take Power Attack.
Also any comments on these issues here?
I read somewhere about knocking opponents prone with a flail, but don't see anything special about that in the description of the weapon, like being able to trip with a flail in 3.5Ed rules. Is there a Power or something that covers this?

Velmont

First Post
Thank's Velmont. Any thoughts on which is better; Reaping Strike or Resolute Shield?

Resolute Shield all the way. Reaping Strike is interesting if you wield a 2-hand weapon.

For your feat:

Your power focus around your shield. You trip mainly through your powers and you would have to take flail friendly power. For you, I would either go with Heavy Blade (like longsword) because it has a +3 to hit instead of +2, or with Axe or Hammer, as in higher level, the feat and power related to them need a high Con, which seems to be your second best stat.

If you like Reaping Strike, you might want to go with the hammers, as in Paragon level, you'll be able to get Hammer Rhythm feat, which allow to deals your Con bonus when you miss.

To trip people, Brawler Fighter are a lot better in that field of expertise. Shield are not that bad, they have a few Shield power to knock, but they mainly use the shield, not their weapon.

Remove ads