Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Yes, in my campaign 99% of monsters and NPCs are minotaurs

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Nope, because...

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Poll closed .

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yes, but I am curious what your 1st level hoser is. Sleep?

I don't really count entangle, as it equally hoses the party.

(I was looking at my 1e books over the weekend, and marvelling that the 1e levitate could be used on an unwilling target. Ogre with greatclub, you wait up there for a while until we are done with these goblins... I actually kinda like it. Why should hideous laughter be the only hoser? Why indeed have only one hoser per spell level?)
If you disregard entangle, then the main offender would be grease: the Dex check can hose a single non-flying foe significantly, and that's before you consider stairs, ropes, bridges, and the like.

Cheers, -- N

Votan

Explorer
If you disregard entangle, then the main offender would be grease: the Dex check can hose a single non-flying foe significantly, and that's before you consider stairs, ropes, bridges, and the like.

Cheers, -- N

Skills do not scale with level and so it is amazing how many critters can fail a DC 10 balance check! I'm thinking enemy clerics, especially, who rarely have good dexterity scores, wear heavy armor and for whom Balance is never going to be a class skill.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Skills do not scale with level and so it is amazing how many critters can fail a DC 10 balance check! I'm thinking enemy clerics, especially, who rarely have good dexterity scores, wear heavy armor and for whom Balance is never going to be a class skill.
Exactly.

Consider the Iron Golem, for example. It has a net -1 on the DC 10 Balance check.

Cheers, -- N

Runestar

First Post
Exactly.

Consider the Iron Golem, for example. It has a net -1 on the DC 10 Balance check.

Cheers, -- N

That, and the glaring lack of monsters in the MM which actually have ranks in balance...:confused:

Sleep has one drawback, which is its 1 round casting time - this typically gives the enemy 1 opportunity at disrupting you.

yet another step further and stipulate that the creature so banished doesn't have to try to find his way out immediately.

Isn't there the option that the creature can opt to do nothing, in which case the spell would expire after 10 minutes?

Votan

Explorer
Now that, on the other hand, I can definitively say that we're addressing with Trailblazer...

Yeah, that is a good idea. It was part of the Star Wars Saga Edition that I really liked. Adventurers automatically scale with other types of competences (saves, attacks) but the skill gap remains forever . . .

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Interesting Historic Trivia Dept: In 1st Edition AD&D, Illusionists got Maze as a 5th level spell (castable by 10th level Illusionists).

Tim Ball

First Post
If you're worried about Maze on the BBG, one solution I found was to have them use Dimensional Anchor on themself. Sure, it cuts their ability to flee, but it also prevents Plane Shift and Maze shenanigans.

Remove ads