Recommendations for mega adventure or series

Zagig

Explorer
Okay, looks like I will be DMing again for the first time in 4 years. I own a number of 2e adventures (Fate of Istus, Dragon Mtn, Ruins of Greyhawk) plus Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and every Dragon mag up to the end of 3e. I DMed RttToEE twice and one of the players was in the last campaign so I don't want to do that. I could do one of the Adventure Paths, but was wondering if there were any other good mega adventures or adventure series out there. Can anyone help?

catsclaw227

First Post
There are a lot of really good 3.x mega adventures, full blown APs or even mini-adventure paths.

Some personal favorites:

War of the Burning Sky - *En Publishing -- good deals right now with the EnWorld Subscription drive.
Age of Worms (Paizo/Dungeon)
Drow War Series (Mongoose, starts with Drow War I: A Gathering Storm)
Vault of Larin Karr (Necromancer)
Lost City of Barakus (Necromancer)
Rappan Athuk Reloaded (Necromancer - dungeon crawly, but really good)

There really are a lot out there... Others will come in with some more that I didn't mention, and I could go on and on with some good ideas, but the 3.x era has a lot of mega adventure/campaign paths. More than you would need in a lifetime, really.

Paizo has a bunch, and continue to make them. They are tops in quality and their stories are good too.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I highly recommend the Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path - my favorite of the Pathfinder adventure paths so far. Plague, the undead, political machinations, it is a wonderful bit of work. :)

Right now you can get less-than-perfect copies of all six at Paizo's Scratch 'n' Dent Sale.

The Auld Grump

Nebten

First Post
Red Hand of Doom. That starts at level 5 but you can run Barrow of the Forgotten King before hand if you don't want to start people at higher levels. We did that and it worked fine.

War of the Burning Sky is great, but it truely is a mega adventure: 1-20. But it has options if you don't want to start at level 1 or if you only want to run it to a certian point. It gives you ideas how to tie up those loose ends.
I'm 2.5 years into mine (playing 1 or 2/month) and we are about 1/3 thru the 8th mod. Its a blast.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm actually going to recommend Ruins of the Dragon Lord by Mongoose Publishing. At first, it's a little difficult to wade through the three reference books, but once you familarize yourself with each book's layout, it's quite an enjoyable series of adventures. You can even plug n play the various adventures without running them concurrently, so you can dip in and out of the main adventure if there's something else the PC's would like to do.

meomwt

First Post
Whilst offering support for War of the Burning Sky and the Necromodules suggested by catsclaw227 (all of which are more than worth your time), I might also suggest Castle Whiterock from Goodman Games.

It's a mega-dungeon crawl, in a series of levels under the eponymous castle, and should take PC's from Level 1 to Level 15. There's a plot holding it all together, too.

I haven't played it, but I have heard good reports of it being played and it's on my list of Campaigns to DM before I Die.

catsclaw227

First Post
I haven't played it, but I have heard good reports of it being played and it's on my list of Campaigns to DM before I Die.
Another one I have on my list of Campaigns to DM before I Die. would be the whole Warlords of the Accordlands campaign setting and AP from AEG.

Four big hardbacks: World Atlas, DM's Campaign Guide and Setting book, Mega Adventure, Monster book.

It had some mechanical problems, but the ideas were awesome and it oooooooozed unique flavor. Short-lived elves that focus on necromancy because of their obsession with extending their lives? Very cool.

Zagig

Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I think I want to start the party at 1st level since I have 2 teenagers that have only a half dozen game sessions under their belt. Obviously, this leaves out Rappan Athuk and Red Hand of Doom. I would guess that Burning Sky, Crimson Throne, Dragon Lord, Age of Worms, and the Drow War start at 1st level. What levels are Larin Karr, Barakus, or Whiterock?
Also, I've looked at an adventure called Slaughtergarde, can anyone who has played it give me a review.

Thanks

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases