L4W Discussion Thread IV

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
For my pbem game, I've been using flickr because of its awesome "note" feature, which lets me put editable tags on the map. Not sure how well it would interface with L4W boards, though, as the tags only work on the original site, so inserting into a message doesn't work too well.

an example:
Goblins, round 5 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

also, if I'm in a hurry, I can just drag a tag around instead of making people wait for me to get to the GIMP.... You can see this with one of the characters in the pic above.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Hey all, just a request for a second approval for Talon when somebody has time since it looks like he's being accepted into H.M.Gimlord's adventure. He's got his first approval from TwoHeadsBarking and I've taken care of all issues he brought up. Thanks in advance! =D

Theroc

First Post
Hey all, just a request for a second approval for Talon when somebody has time since it looks like he's being accepted into H.M.Gimlord's adventure. He's got his first approval from TwoHeadsBarking and I've taken care of all issues he brought up. Thanks in advance! =D

On that note, a second approval is also needed for Benbrown's character, Fenwick.
L4W:pC:Fenwick (BenBrown) - ENWiki

Since he's also joining the adventure, it'd be awesome if he can get credit for his contributions as he rages into the brewery. ;)

CaBaNa

First Post
Into the woods

I'm off to do some backpacking, will be gone friday, saturday, and sunday. Will be back late sunday, but probably won't catch up/post until monday.

NPC my characters as necessary.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
More questions. Theroc posed this one. Does ENWorld have a ruling on magic item level vs. player level.

PHB1 page 223 sets no limit.
DMG1 p126 and following doesn't provide parcels greater than 4 levels above the party level.

Any homebrew rulings from the ENWorld Elite?

Dunamin

First Post
More questions. Theroc posed this one. Does ENWorld have a ruling on magic item level vs. player level.

PHB1 page 223 sets no limit.
DMG1 p126 and following doesn't provide parcels greater than 4 levels above the party level.

Any homebrew rulings from the ENWorld Elite?
I don't think we've established any strict rules for how treasure should be rewarded, though I do recall discussion about tracking "level slots" - that is, getting a magic item of each level as you progress.

I would think it basically just comes down to keeping PCs somewhere in the realm of what is expected for their level, according to the DMG: items of level n-1, n, and n+1, plus gold worth a level n-1 item and any mundane gear that would be appropriate. This is taking expenses for consumables into account (such as healing potions).
The DMG treasure parcel system supposedly achieves this.

So my advice would be for DMs just to check if a PC is behind or ahead of this scheme, and award accordingly.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Personnally, I keep track of the average recommended wealth by level. I use the same maths that has already been done for the Time Gold. For example, (from memory), a level 4 ought to amass roughly 2100gp worth of wealth as goes from 4 to 5. I actually calcualate it to the XP (2100gp/1750XP in the case of a level 4)

I keep track of how much XP I have awarded, how much wealth I should have awarded and much I did award. As the story progress, I try to have everything balance out. On 6 Eagle Down I just handed out a level 7 item to a level 3 PC; he has just earned a lot more wealth than he should for an 800XP encounter. But he won't receive anything else for a while and toward the end of the adventure I expect this lone item will represent appropriate reward for the total adventure. Meanwhile, I have other PCs who are 'owed' a good 1000gp worth a treasure but have received nothing. They can expect a big payday before it is over so that I can balance it all.

But to answer your specific question; you probably shouldn't do items +5. This is so far above what is recommended that an adventurer should go without any additional items for almost 2 levels for this to end up balanced.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases