L4W Discussion Thread IV

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Maybe I'll ask this here (or maybe in the 4e rules area)

Can a spirit companion be marked? It says it can be targeted by a ranged or melee attack, not sure if it can be marked though from that attack?
Its a conjuration, so no. From the Conjuration Keyword:
DDI said:
Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack’s damage affects the conjuration.

elecgraystone

First Post
Maybe I'll ask this here (or maybe in the 4e rules area)

Can a spirit companion be marked? It says it can be targeted by a ranged or melee attack, not sure if it can be marked though from that attack?
Even if you could, marking wouldn't do anything since the spirit never attacks itself. “melee spirit 1” means you can target a creature adjacent to your spirit. This differs from a beastmasters animal where it says 'Your beast companion makes a melee basic attack against an enemy of your choice.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Hm... that makes me consider fluffing Rujah's warhammer as his claws or bite, instead of using a weapon at all, he slashes or chomps. Mechanically it'd still be the same as a warhammer, obviously.

Only problem with that is with a weapon, DM's can mix things up by forcing you to go without it for a while - a thief makes off with it while you sleep and you have to chase him down while weaponless, or you get knocked out and captured and have to break out and get your weapons back. (I ran a great encounter like that in my RL game - the weapons were locked in a trapped cage, so they had a skill challenge to disable the trap and get their equipment back while fending off attacks from the Big Bad's main henchman, and when the rogue finally got it open he was able to toss the fighter his Lightning Hammer and let him spin around lay the smack down.)

So, anyway, the rule is it can't change the mechanics, so if you're using your claws you have to explain how you can be disarmed if necessary...

Theroc

First Post
Only problem with that is with a weapon, DM's can mix things up by forcing you to go without it for a while - a thief makes off with it while you sleep and you have to chase him down while weaponless, or you get knocked out and captured and have to break out and get your weapons back. (I ran a great encounter like that in my RL game - the weapons were locked in a trapped cage, so they had a skill challenge to disable the trap and get their equipment back while fending off attacks from the Big Bad's main henchman, and when the rogue finally got it open he was able to toss the fighter his Lightning Hammer and let him spin around lay the smack down.)

So, anyway, the rule is it can't change the mechanics, so if you're using your claws you have to explain how you can be disarmed if necessary...

Yeah, the last part was the kicker for me. I could say that disarm effects hurt his wrist, making his claw attacks weaker. But where would I put that information, exactly?

Mewness

First Post
There's also the fact that wandering around with your weapon drawn isn't always appropriate, and that it should technically take an action to get it out. I'm not sure how that would work with claws.

Theroc

First Post
Well, when the PHB3 comes out, you could take proficiency in monk strikes [it's an unarmed weapon]. That'd fit perfectly.

Hm... yes, if I can find someone to give me the appropriate information, as I do not think I'll be able to afford the PHB3 in the near future. Things are tight moneywise atm, and I have basically 0 free money.

Kalidrev

First Post
Yeah, I can't wait for the ability to take Monk Unarmed Strikes as a proficiency! You currently can't do so in DDI (even though I don't see ANY reason why not. They have the weapon listed in there in the SHOP section... but not in the Weapon Proficiency feat list.). However, I'm thinking that the reason for this MAY be, that when they release the PHB3, the Monk Multi-class feat is what will give the Monk Unarmed Attack proficiency. That could be really interesting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases