L4W Discussion Thread IV

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Velmont, what you just quoted explains why it COULD be used by others, not why it couldn't. 'unarmed strike, which is a weapon in the unarmed weapon group'. Not treated as or acts as. It IS a weapon.

I agree. I would allow anybody to take Weapon Proficiency: Monk Unarmed strike and similar feats if they want to. And then if they find a monk unarmed strike lying around, they can pick it up and use it!

elecgraystone

First Post
I agree. I would allow anybody to take Weapon Proficiency: Monk Unarmed strike and similar feats if they want to. And then if they find a monk unarmed strike lying around, they can pick it up and use it!
LOL If you did, I'd insist that everyone also look around for their unarmed attack. You hide them in the same place. ;)

CaBaNa

First Post
so why can't someone take Battlefist Proficiency, and chop off their hand, and replace it with a Battlefist?

It's a weapon...

JoeNotCharles

First Post
so why can't someone take Battlefist Proficiency, and chop off their hand, and replace it with a Battlefist?

It's a weapon...

How are they going to get a Battlefist? It's not for sale anywhere. They can only loot it off a monster's corpse if the DM lets them. I'm saying this is exactly the deal with "Unarmed Strike" and "Monk Unarmed Strike" - they're weapons, but you can't buy them because they don't have a price in the equipment lists.

You can take Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus and things just fine in Unarmed Strike, Monk Unarmed Strike, and Longsword. But the feats never say they come with a free weapon, just that they give you proficiency in one. If you take Weapon Proficiency: Longsword, you still have to go out and get a longsword (easy, they're readily available and don't cost much); if you take Weapon Proficiency: Unarmed Strike, you still have to go out and get one (automatically done, everybody already has one); and if you take Weapon Proficiency: Unarmed Strike, you still have to go out and get one (automatic if you're a monk due to the class feature, but otherwise, how exactly do you plan to do this?)

elecgraystone

First Post

It's a weapon...
You could take it, you just have to find one and figure out how to attach it...

The thing that makes it different than the monk strike is everyone already HAS the weapon since it's your body. They just can't use it well until they get the training (IE weapon profieciency [monk strike]). Without the feat, they are stuck using their body as an improvised weapon call unarmed attack. So the only way someone can say you don't have the weapon is if you don't have a body.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I disagree. My hand is not a Monk Strike. It's an Unarmed Strike. There is no explicit mechanic that turns it into a Monk Strike except the Monk class feature. The mechanic of Weapon Proficiency only lets me learn how to use a Monk Strike, it doesn't provide me with one.

elecgraystone

First Post
I disagree. My hand is not a Monk Strike. It's an Unarmed Strike. There is no explicit mechanic that turns it into a Monk Strike except the Monk class feature. The mechanic of Weapon Proficiency only lets me learn how to use a Monk Strike, it doesn't provide me with one.
Sorry, I can't agree with that. Here's how I see it. Your hand is an improvised weapon from the unarmed group.

Unarmed:​
When you punch, kick, elbow, knee, or even head butt an opponent, you’re making an unarmed strike. A simple unarmed attack is treated as an improvised weapon.
Monk Strike: kicking, kneeing, elbowing, or head-butting a target.

Taking the proficiency in the monk strike sound like it turns your unarmed attack into a 'non-simple' unarmed attack. If you are making an unarmed attack you HAVE to have the weapon since YOU are the weapon. Learning the proficiency in monk strike is letting you use the weapon that is your own body.

Bottom line it doesn't matter if you are using an unarmed attack or a monk strike, you are using the same weapon. The difference is it's an improvised attack unless you are trained in it's use. The profieciency feat gives you that training.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases