L4W Discussion Thread IV

Atriden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Your specially sensed navigators make me think of the "Pilgrims" from the Wing Commander movie, Covaithe. Special 6th sense for navigating or even finding portals from one place to another.

Now I've gone and admitted to watching that movie. :blush: Would it help cleanse my burden if I said it was only because I liked the Wing Commander games so much? :eek:
Man, that brings up memories. I really liked Wing Commander 4, but I am more of a Freespace fan ;).

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Relative geography in the Transitive Isles has always been deliberately vague....

If you think I'm going to quote that dissertation, think again:eek:!

OK. So basically, "Don't try to make a map. It just ruins the fun." Gotcha. I can live with that. You're making me sorry I drew a map for Avenroc, Erkemhest and Milibri, but such is life. It's done.

Atriden

First Post
Main article: Far Lands
Connected to Daunton and the Near Isles only by ancient portals that no living arcanist truly understands the far lands are subject to extensive debate. Are they on the same plane as Daunton, just separated by such lengths of the shifting seas that no vessel has ever successfully made the journey? Or are they truly other places?

Covaithe said:
Consider a trip from Daunton to the Kingdom of Jade. The best possible way to get there is by using a portal ritual, sidestepping all this travel nonsense.
Not to disagree, but I thought the only way to get to the Far Lands is to use portals? Making mundane means to reach places as such extremely difficult or to say not even possible, especially when no one knows if the Far Lands even exist on the same world.

But as you said, it is pretty much up to the DM to define the means of Travel or how the lands are connected. Your idea that the means of travel on the transitive isles is a matter of perspective and intuition, is great. I like the idea that the places on the islands change as well.

It gives me an good idea for an adventure; Brave adventurers exploring the transitive seas, trying to discover new lands or other ways to travel to the Far Lands.

Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I like that, allot as well. It could also make some fun roleplay when adventurers are from different islands.

When the group is in Daunton, the Dauntonians find they're way around the best, but when you jump to Bacarate, best to follow them.

Fragsie

Explorer
I have made a class for my homebrew campaign that's kinda based on the navigators from wing commander and dune. It'd be cool if some of you guys could take a look and let me know what you think. It's for a sci-fantasy setting, but i see it working as a navigator of the astral seas in a fantasy setting. (link in signature)

Farce

First Post
Hi all,

I've just been pointed to this place by a friend and wanted to introduce myself. So Hi.

I've made a barbarian and sent it over to the gmail account.

Remove ads