L4W Discussion Thread IV

Theroc

First Post
Yeah, that was one thing I was wondering about. Especially since the Warden has powers to drag opponents back to him.

A friend of mine is recommending either the great spear or fullblade from the adventurer's vault, depending if I want reach or not.

Any opinions on those two? Would they be worth the feat to gain proficiency with them?

garyh

First Post
I don't think reach is all that important to a warden. If you want to go with a two-handed weapon, the fullblade is my favorite, and is worth the feat. +3 prof, 1d12, high crit? It's awesome.

Theroc

First Post
Well, I'm not 100% set on a 2 handed weapon, but I'm wondering how much that +2 to AC and Reflex is worth when compared to using a better, more damaging weapon(especially considering a Warden's HP)

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Personnally, I am always leery of a defender who lets go of his shield.

+2 to AC, +2 to reflex and an additional magic item slot that you lose if you go two-handed... That's a lot to give up for an increase of +1 to damage per [W].

Especially if you have a CON build; by pumping both STR and CON you are bound to end up with a dragging reflex score. Can't really afford to also drop the shield, IMO.

Nah, I want my shield. With a bastard swords or Waraxe, preferably*. Leave the two-handed weapons to barbarians and avengers.

*Yeah, don't forget that you can't compare the fullblade to the longsword. You either compare the greatsword to the longsword or the fullblade to the Bastard sword.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
I wasn't compared 1 hand quality to 2 hand quality, I was assessing the value of a shield, and I wasn't certain.

So, given you chose waraxe over something like the craghammer, I'm guessing you didn't feel the brutal quality was worth the smaller die size?

Ozymandias79

First Post
Mal, check where you find the shields on DDI.

Theroc, I would go with craghammer for a warden but that is my personal opinion, as I thinks it would look more of thematic fit for a warden

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
So, given you chose waraxe over something like the craghammer, I'm guessing you didn't feel the brutal quality was worth the smaller die size?

I didn't name them all out of practicality, but they are almost the same thing.

Craghammer and Waraxe have the same average damage (1+12/2 vs 3+10/2) per roll.

The Waraxe actually do more average damage because it causes higher critical but then the craghammer is more reliable when you want to mop up near dead enemies and has the better hammer feats going for it (Such as Hammer Rythm in higher level). Of course, you have to be willing to put in these feats so it is useful to map out your progression and see if you will be able to fit these feats in over other feats you might like to take.

But at any rate, it is clear you want to be taking either waraxe or craghammer (or battleaxe and warhammer) because you are CON build and pretty much any feats improving axes and maces will require CON whereas heavy blades require DEX.

Theroc

First Post
So, a craghammer is worth spending a feat for? I was wondering, though, I didn't see a whole lot to improve accuracy(which is more important than damage for a defender, I'd wager).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases