L4W Discussion Thread IV

renau1g

First Post
Yeah, it's not terribly difficult to avoid triggering for artillery either, shift away (no OA) then shoot would avoid it. Only works if they're hemmed in by terrain or other pcs/monsters, or are dazed and can only take 1 action.

taran

First Post
Yeah, it's not terribly difficult to avoid triggering for artillery either, shift away (no OA) then shoot would avoid it.
I don't think it would. The power is attached to the target, not a particular square, so they take the OA if they make an action that can provoke regardless of where they are.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with taran too. Fire Hawk is a pain in the @$$ for any ranged monsters/character. They have 3 choices in that case: Total defense, go into melee or take the risk to get hit again.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
This is why I originally thought that it only applied when the ranged creature was performed an action that could provoke an OA from an ally, or possibly even another enemy.

For example, if FH hits an enemy that is out in the open, by itself, then a simple move that doesn' t pass adjacent to anyone, or a ranged attack from its current spot should not provoke the Fire Hawk.

If he moves past another creature, or if he shifts nex to another creature and fires a shot, then the Fire Hawk attacks.

This nerfs the power quite a bit, but I wonder if this was not the intent of the power from the beginning.

I agree, that, as a player, I like the pain in the @$$ version better though ;). And if it's agreed upon here, you can bet that I'll take the power with any druid I make.

nerdytenor

First Post
I think the pain-in-the-posterior version is likely what was intended. Compare to the rogue's Riposte Strike. The thing about these powers is you only get about a 50% chance to trigger the bonus (assuming a normal to-hit), and that's assuming your enemy doesn't adjust his tactics. If half the time the enemy makes an adjustment, then you've basically added 25% to the base damage. Nice, but not awesome, given the situational nature.

I like the power, I think it has good flavor and is very controller-y. :)

Tenchuu

First Post
I agree with taran too. Fire Hawk is a pain in the @$$ for any ranged monsters/character. They have 3 choices in that case: Total defense, go into melee or take the risk to get hit again.

Actually, assuming that the ruling is in fact pain-in-the-butt, then the ranged mob (or any mob caught not adjacent to an enemy) has even more limited choices: total defense, risk the OA, or ready a melee; because the mere act of moving outside of a shift would trigger the OA.

So, HM, let's rule this is how the power works for the rest of the adventure. I don't want to short change ryryguy, and it sounds like we have a consensus.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I agree. I think my initial position got outvoted, and if this becomes the official L4W ruling, then I'm gong to make sure the next Druid I make has FH in it's reportoire ;)!

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
If I want a character to be from your typical dwarven underground city beneath a frozen mountain range, should I go with Mykonos or Surtyr? I guess the city doesn't need to be underground, but it does need to be near very cold mountains. So that will probably be Surtyr I guess.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases